Whistler Day Trip from Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if it were possible to do a day trip to Whistler from Vancouver if we had a car.

We are flying into Banff/Jasper region from Vancouver, but would also like to see Whistler, we have a spare day and wondered whether it was worth it?

Cheers

Lesa
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:35 PM

This is doable.

I used to stay in Vanvouver and take the bus up to Whistler to ski and return the same day.

Howe Sound is the best part of the drive.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:20 PM

Estimted travel time from vancouver-airport to Whistler is 2 1/2 hours (one way travel). You have to cross Vancouver (rush hours!), if you start with your trip at Vancouver Airport.

The travel is worth to do it, if the weather is good. I would not do it in case of rain. But if your a good hiker, I would spent my time in the mountains close to Vancouver.

The sea to sky highway is senic but under construction for highway improvements.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:30 PM

We did a day trip to Whistler and loved it. It was a long drive but very scenic and if you have good company, the ride seems short. We left Vancouver at about 9:00 and got to Whistler at about 11:30 - took the gondola up to the top of Blackcomb mountain, had lunch, came back down and walked around the village and left at about 4:00. It was very relaxing. Our second trip to Vancouver, we stayed in Whistler for about 4 days but they had a landslide as we tried to leave to catch a ferry to Victoria. As we waited for the landslide to clear in Squamish, many travelers told us they were missing their flights back home. So. . . .if you're on a tight schedule, a day trip might be a little risky. But Whistler is oh so worth the risk!!! The lunch on top of Blackcomb was very picturesque but the food at Sushi Village was outstanding.
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, we will be already in Vancouver so will not need to leave from the airport. Will make sure we don't do it on the day we are due to fly to Calgary.

Hopefully we have time for the Zipline trip!

Thanks
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:03 PM

fun restaurant in the plaza.. CARAMBA, or for more select upscale dining.. LA RUA. both owned by spanish friend of ours settled in whistler.

enjoy. the drive is fabulous. if you like golf and/ or beautiful surroundings.. stop at furry creek, maybe an hour or so out of vancouver, or even at their restaurant for a snack.. wonderful place. the most exciting golf course paths i have ever been on.

the area is worth an overnight if your other reservations are cancellable. you will not regret it.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM

A day trip to Whistler is definitely doable. We did it last summer with relatives from Holland. Just remember the drive and stops on the way up to Whistler are half the fun, so don't just rush up to Whistler. This page will give you a flavour for a day trip, www.findfamilyfun.com/whistler.htm
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Another option if your interested in this sort of thing is white water rafting. We contacted a company located half way between Vancouver & Whistler. We had lunch with the rafting team and afterwards kept driving north to Whistler where we had a nice dinner after some hiking. It was a long day, but the rafting trip was a wonderful experience, the scenery gorgeous and Whistler was definately worth it. We arrived back into Vancouver around 10:00 pm. Obviously I would prefer to have more time, but we only had 1 day left and given the same circumstances I would do it again in a heartbeat!