Search

Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Jane

Vancouver

Hi, we go to Vancouver for four days 9 Sept and are staying at the Pacific Palisades hotel. Has anyone been there, is it good, it seems so from the ads we have seen.<BR><BR>Also, what should we do for the 3 1/2 days we are there. We are in our 40's but both suffer with bad backs, so long walks are out of the question. I think I read somewhere about a trolley tour of the sights that you can hop on and off. Should we rent a car for a day and go to Whistler? and what would we see there. We dont know anything about Vancouver, we are doing it as a side trip from the USA as we have never been to Canada before. Any help and suggestions appreciated. We leave 5 September for USA, so replies asap please..!!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 01:42 PM
gary

The Pacific Pallisades is a pretty good hotel well located for Robson Street shopping and a short Taxi ride from most places in Downtown and the West End that you might want to see. The rooms are apartment sized many with kitchens and most have great views. Unless you're looking for a five star quality place I don't think you'll be dissappointed.<BR><BR>Whistler is definately a nice day trip. But considering that the road is largely two lanes and you are from the UK and probably not totally comfortable with our driving on the right I suggest you take a bus from Downtown Vancouver. That way you can enjoy the fabulous scenery and a car is not allowed in Whistler village anyway. It's not a big place so even with your bad backs walking in the village shouldn't be to onerous. <BR><BR> With all due respect your questions about what to do in Vancouver are much too general to answer here. I suggest that you scroll previous posts on Vancouver or go an some Vancouver web sites and glean information from them. Enjoy Vancouver - I have no doubt it will be your most memorable spot.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Faina

I agree with Gary on the bus tour - I took it from Vancouver to Whistler, it makes a stop by Shannon waterfall, and gives you plenty of time for lunch in the village. It picks you up at your hotel and delivers back. No worries about driving and parking, and the tour is narrated.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:15 AM
desert dweller

hello, and welcome to Vancouver. The hotel choice is good, situated on Robson street. Stanley Park is only a short walk from there, head north down Robson street, you can access the trolly in the park or along the way. There is no charge and it is a very nice way to tour the park. <BR><BR>In the park don't miss the firing of the 9 o'clock gun at 9 pm. Have lunch amongst the huge trees at Prospect point while overlooking the entrance to Lions gate bridge. Play a round of golf in the park at the Pitch and Putt course. Stroll around Lost Lagoon and visit the nature house where you can arrange walking tours through the parks system of trails. <BR><BR>Whistler.... The highway vistas are breathtaking and you understand quite quickly why it's called the sea to sky highway...... Realistically though, you need an overnight stay, not because there are lots to do and see, but because it's a very long drive, and you will feel rushed to return before dark if you are going for a day trip..... <BR><BR>Grouse Mountain would be an alternate option..... It is a short drive across the Lions Gate Bridge. Once there ride the gondola up to the top and enjoy the view from the Grouse Nest Restuarant. The Capilano suspension bridge is on your route to the mountain stop there for info and maps before going up to the top. Stroll across Clevelan dam resevoir and visit the salmon hatchery also on your way up to Grouse Mountain.<BR><BR>Visit Deep Cove, it's a quaint little village a short drive up the harbour from Vancouver. Take the the Iron Workers Memorial bridge route to get there. Once there, hire a water taxi to take you up the Indian arm inlet. You can explore the south end including the islands. Bring a picnic lunch and get dropped off for the afternoon and arrange a time to be picked up for the return trip. <BR><BR>Visit Steveston, it's a small village at the mouth of the Fraser River that was once a fish cannery. Now a market and tourist attraction. It's a short drive south from Vancouver near the Airport in Richmond. <BR><BR>The fishing boats tie up there and sell their catch of prawns, crab and salmon direct from their boats. Fresh produce from the local farms. Lots of interesting shops, the large pier is a perfect place to sit and enjoy the ambiance.<BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Robyn

I'm not so sure I agree with, "In the park don't miss the firing of the 9 o'clock gun at 9 pm"...<BR><BR>There's nothing to see as it's all automatic, but if you're nearby the "gun" when it goes off, you'll be deaf!<BR><BR>For those unfamiliar, the 9 O'clock gun is located in Stanley Park, and fires every night at 9, to let everyone know the hour. But it's a VERY loud cannon-type noise that is deafening if you're there watching it. You can hear the boom all over downtown, where it sounds like a bomb exploded. <BR><BR>All in all, you definitely won't miss the firing of the gun... just don't be next to it at 9pm! If you hear a BOOM! at 9pm, you'll know what it is!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Robyn

But otherwise, everyone has great advice!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:57 AM
desert dweller

Hello again..... if you care to explore this website you'll find many options for touring the vancouver and surrounding areas by car.<BR><BR>http://www.britishcolumbia.com<BR><BR>What will interest you because of your time frame is the Vancouver, Coast Mountains section. Explore any or all of those locations

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Jane

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. Driving on the right hand side presents no problems as we have lived in Greece for 3 years and been to USA on fly drives three times. My main concern was our back problems. We can walk short distances but not good up hills or long walks with no rests. All in all I think we should manage very nicely with the info given and I am very much looking forward to our visit.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:50 AM
desert dweller

"There's nothing to see as it's all automatic, but if you're nearby the "gun" when it goes off, you'll be deaf!"
<BR>That is soooo ABSURD you posting that..... I find it quite funny <BR><BR>True there is no big fanfare leading up to show time... only the hands of the clock, tick tock tick tock no bells no whistles, no changing of the guard.... only a !BOOM! and a huge plume of sparks exploding out the end as the clock strikes 9. Brought a smile to my face.... It has a history and it's part of the park attractions and in my opinion worth experiencing.<BR><BR>Thank you for the correction though it is the 9 o'clock cannon and not the 9 o'clock gun.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Robyn

Well, I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but you always hear about the unfortunate people who aren't aware of how loud it is... and end up strolling by... and BOOM! *shrug*

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Jim Rosenberg

We'll be visiting this weekend and I'm sure we will appreciate the friendly warning here enough to have it bring a grin when we hear it go off.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:58 PM
desert dweller

Robyn<BR><BR>you aren't coming across as being sarcastic..... Hyperbolizing better discribes your posting content.<BR><BR> <BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>