Reload this Page >

Two nights in Vancouver

Search

Two nights in Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 04:12 PM
connie

Two nights in Vancouver

We have only two nights, and one full day in Vancouver. (We'll arrive late afternoon and leave late morning, if that helps.)<BR><BR>What are the absolute MUST sees? We're staying downtown near the harbour. We'd love to stay longer, but can't this time.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Robyn

The top 3 priorities (in my opinion) would be a morning spent at Granville Island, an afternoon spent at Stanley Park (with a trip to the Vancouver Aquarium), and an evening stroll down the seawall to English Bay (where you'd walk down Denman Street, to Robson Street) and enjoy the atsmophere.<BR><BR>Perhaps spend your first hours in Vancouver on the Vancouver Trolley? http://www.vancouvertrolley.com As other locals have suggested, it's a narrated tour throughout Vancouver with on and off priviledges at the main attractions. It would give you a good idea of what there is in Vancouver, you'd see more of Vancouver than if you were to just walk around by foot downtown... and it's probably your best bet for the amount of time you have in the city. Then the next day you'll have an idea of what you really want to see.<BR><BR>BTW - Gastown is a bit of a tourist trap, so spend less time here than anywhere else. The Capilano Suspension Bridge in North Vancouver is also a tourist trap, although many people still enjoy it. I'd still skip it as there are better things to see with your short time there.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:24 PM
connie

Thanks for your reply, Robyn. We will actually arrive in Vancouver mid-late afternoon. I like the idea of doing the trolley first -- how long into the evening do they run? <BR><BR>And what is the difference between Granville Island and Gastown? <BR><BR>Thanks again!!!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Cindy

I don't know about the trolley, but I can tell you about Granville and Gastown. Granville Island is the site of the public market - it's a wonderful place. There are stalls selling every kind of food you can think of, fresh produce, coffee, tea, etc. etc. and a few crafts as well. In addition to the market, there are restaurants, shops, and lots of galleries, and there's an area called the Kids Only Market that's lots of fun (even for me, and I haven't been a kid for quite some time now). I could spend an entire day there, but I agree with Robyn's suggestion of going in the morning - you could have a great breakfast or lunch at the market and stroll around for as long as you like. You can get there via water taxi from downtown. I think it costs about $2. Gastown is a small area - a few blocks - with some nice shops and restaurants, and the supposedly famous Gastown Clock, which whistles and emits steam instead of chiming. Nice, but as Robyn says, perhaps a bit over-hyped. Have a great trip!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:56 PM
connie

Thanks, Cindy! We're really looking forward to our visit!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Robyn

Hi Connie,<BR><BR>Unfortunately the Vancouver Trolley's last run is at 4pm, but all the information's there on their website. Perhaps take the trolley first thing the next morning? Try to get on the first run so you can see everything beforehand.<BR><BR>There's another tour bus called Grayline which do a "Vancouver By Night" tour. It starts at 7:15pm<BR><BR>http://www.grayline.ca/tours/pages/graylineca/graylineca_589_VancouverbyNight.asp<BR><BR>And if you're here in July/August... 7:15pm is a great time because it's still light out. <BR><BR>Otherwise, spend your first night along Robson Street, Denman Street and English Bay - all downtown.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Robyn

Cindy's right about Granville Island. It's located underneath the Granville Street Bridge downtown. I agree about taking a water taxi there. Here's their website: http://www.aquabus.bc.ca/<BR><BR>Here's an *excellent* website on Granville Island's:<BR><BR>http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/?townID=4025&webregionid=2<BR><BR>Gastown is located in the north-east corner of downtown, home to many of the city's first buildings. HOWEVER... many of those buildings are tourist traps and trinket souvenir shops. It's fun and hokey, but I've read stories online from people embarking on Alaskan cruises where all they saw in Vancouver was Gastown... and it was too bad, because there's just SO much more than Gastown. Gastown is hyped, especially to tourists... and while it's fine to spend about half an hour there, as a local, it's not what I'd recomend as a place to spend ALL your time in. In my opinion, Vancouver's about the scenery (the city profile against the mountains and ocean), the beaches (like English Bay, False Creek, the seawall), the food (especially the seafood like salmon, Japanese food, Granville Island's Public Market) and the nature (Stanley Park, the mountains)... *that's* Vancouver.<BR><BR>You *will* enjoy yourself. Definitely get out to English Bay and Denman Street - it has a great atmosphere in the summer. Stanley Park, in my opinion, is just not to be missed. That's the epitome of Vancouver. <BR><BR>And if you want some ideas for dining, Vancouver Magazine has a great section on their website here:<BR><BR>http://www.vanmag.com/diningout/westcoast.html<BR><BR>Hope this helps!