Reload this Page >

Vancouver with pre-teens

Search

Vancouver with pre-teens

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:29 AM
Diana

Vancouver with pre-teens

We will be in Vancouver in June pre-cruise for 4 days and would like to know which not too expensive hotel you recommend, and also what activities.<BR>Is there a train ride into the rockies for 1 day?<BR>Thank you in advance,<BR>Diana

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:02 AM
Brian Kilgore

The kids will enjoy a visit to Granville island, which is in the middle of the city. Plan to go around lunch time, and buy the ingredients for a picnic, then eat it outside the market, watching the boats.<BR><BR>The Seabus, which is sort of a regular bus except on the water, is fun to ride on, and it takes them to a shopping area and a chance to get a look at some more boats.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:58 AM
rita

Diana, you had better check your map! Vancouver is located in the costal range of mountains, to get to the Rocky Mountains (which are on the boarder between British Columbia and Alberta) you would have to drive about eight hours (one way). However the costal mountains around Vancouver are very beautiful and YES, there is a stream train service called the "Royal Hudson" from Vancouver to Squamish. It is a day trip from Vancouver and the scenery is spectacular.<BR><BR>Another interesting thing to do with pre-teens is the Vancouver Aquarium located in Stanley Park. The aquarium offers a "behind the scene" tour which includes an orientation with a marine biologist and then a trip into the habitat to interact with the marine animals. I did it last summer with my 12 year old niece (she is an animal nut) and she loved it. We saw behind the scenes at the aquarium (food prep, animal hospital, history, etc) and then were able to go into the Beluga habitat while the "show" was going on. I had a great time too. You need to book ahead for this tour.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 12:43 PM
rita

whoops! I meant to say "steamtrain service" not stream . . .

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:53 PM
Carl Z

Essential to any Kid's visit to Vancouver is a visit to Science World<BR>http://www.scienceworld.bc.ca/<BR><BR>I live here so my Hotel knowledge is scanty-there's lots of good info in the old posts though.