Is Vancouver toddler friendly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and our 17 month old are considering going to Vancouver in June. I've been searching all over the net to see if Vancouver is a family oriented place for visitors (for toddlers particularly), but can't seem to tell. Would Vancouver be too much and overwhelming for a little one (and parents who have to deal with short attention spans, naps, etc.)? <BR><BR>If it is o.k., is the public transportation toddler friendly; and which hotels are the best for families? We would like to stay in a nice hotel (no Days Inn, Comfort Inn types) with lots of amenities, spacious rooms (have to allow for a crib), convenient location to main attractions that we can preferably walk to, or take a short ride to, but is not too noisy, and have a good view of the water/mountains.<BR><BR>Any help would be very appreciated!<BR><BR>
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 08:15 PM

I live in Vancouver, and I think it is very toddler friendly. You should have no problems with public transport. Take your toddler to Science World, they have some awesome toddler things to do...also Stanley Park is a great place to relax.<BR><BR>Have a great time!
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 08:49 PM

Vancouver is definitely toddler friendly. There's also a great website designed for people with children visiting Vancouver. It's called &quot;Find Family Fun Vancouver&quot; - www.findfamilyfun.com<BR><BR>It's an excellent site, going over dozens of attractions, parks, etc. I'm sure you can tell just by going over that site which places are toddler friendly.<BR><BR>I also agree - Science World, as well as the Vancouver Aquarium, and Stanley Park are great for toddlers.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both! <BR><BR>What area of town do you recommend staying? We'd like to stay in downtown, so we can be near shops, etc., but don't want an especially noisy area.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 02:12 PM
BAK

Some of the beraches in downtown Vancouver has big logs on them, for kids to climb. The Seabus ferry to North Vancouver is a treat for little kids. <BR><BR>Take the rapid transit train, because kids like this, too.<BR><BR>Downtown's sort of noisy, but hotel windows close and the rooms have air conditioning, and you won't be disturbed.<BR><BR>BAK
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 04:03 PM

All the beaches in Vancouver have logs on them. They get disconnected from the big booms being sent down the coast and then the Park Workers arrange them neatley on the beaches.<BR><BR>The best part of downtown to be in with your toddler would be the West End close to the beaches and Stanley Park. There's a whole range of Hotels and B &amp; B's in the area. The best Hotel would be the Westin Bayshore but the Empire Landmark, the Sands and the Sylvia are also good.<BR><BR>Another thing a toddler would probably enjoy are the little False Creek Ferries that run from the West End along False Creek to Granville Island, Yaletown and Science World.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! You've been very helpful!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 07:32 PM

I learned from experience with two kids that you pretty much go where you want to go and have fun at it. For a 17-month old, unless he/she is a child prodigy, he/she will have fun or be cranky no matter where you are. I've done Disney World with a 14-month old who had fun when he felt like it and who wailed and wailed when he thought it better to do so. I also found that hotel pools and riding on daddy and mommy are a hoot for most kids that age. Generally speaking, Vancouver and its people are wonderful. Take your baby and have a ball!!