Search

Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver

Hi, will be traveling to Vancouver with my 17 month old and looking for fun things to do. I have been there once before but did not have much time. This visit I will be there 5 days. I won't have a car and will be staying at the Renaissance on the harbor. Looking foward to any and all suggestions as this will be my first "big" trip with the baby.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 02:32 PM

At what time of year will you be visiting Vancouver, redshoe?
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Sorry- will be there in early May staying at the Renaissance hotel (marriot) harbor side
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 02:04 PM
BAK

the hotel's web site says there is a children's farmyard at Stanley Park. I have not been there, but it sounds like something a child would like.

A ride on the SeaBus across to the north side of the water will be fun for the child, and takes you somewhere interesting, too. And there's a tug boat dock there; maybe the baby will be big enough to appreciate these.

At the beaches in Vancouver, there are big logs up on the sand that kids can climb on, too.

BAK

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM

The Science centre and the Kids only market on Granville Island is great for kids and adults alike!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

do you think I need to rent a car or can I hoof it places with toddler and stroller? - also do I need to bring toddler carseat for cabs?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM

here are some links to give you some ideas
Visit this site often for up coming attractions and festivals
http://www.tourismvancouver.com/

The downtown public library is within walking distance and has story time- good for a rainy day.
http://www.vpl.vancouver.bc.ca/YSP/baby.html

Take the bus to
Stanley Park a sunny day
or the Science centre - not sure this would be interesting to a 17 mo old tho

Take the city bus across the Lions Gate Bridge to West Vancouver leaving Granville and Georgia - go to West Vancouver Seawall and Ambleside Park - nice place for kids to play and romp. When you are tired of that - go to the Park Royal Mall - time for mom ! Eat at the White Spot just on Marine Drive ( not in the Mall)

take the
www.vancouvertrolley.com - great tour if you only have a short time to visit

If you are a memeber of the YWCA
http://www.ywcavan.org/ - a fabulous new Y downtown within walking distance.

Take a stroll down Robson street - day or night - both times have a different feel the ambience and diversity of Vancouver cultures - a must see -

go to
http://journeywoman.com/
go down to the bottom of the page 1. travelling with kids

and try the search engine on Vancouver

also
mytelus.com ( local vancouver web site) news stories weather, things to see and do

Hope this helps enjoy your stay
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:26 PM

>>>also do I need to bring toddler carseat for cabs?<<<

Redshoe, I read on another forum that, while use of children's safety seats is compulsory in regular cars in Vancouver, it is not compulsory in cabs.

Perhaps a Vancouver Fodorite can tell you if there are any cab companies in Vancouver that do supply children's safety seats.

An Internet search did bring up a Victoria cab company that supplied infant car seats upon request, but that doesn't help you in Vancouver.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Take a look at www.findfamilyfun.com - it's a website created by a local Vancouver family, highlighting all the kid-friendly activities and attractions there are in the city.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:58 PM

Public transportation, bus and Skyrail seem to go everywhere in Vancouver. I've also rented a bicycle as the city is quite bike friendly, maybe you can find one w/ a seat for your child.

A/D
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

good ideas, thanks so much
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Aloha- I am here now and writing from my hotel room as young one naps. Everything is working out great with the small exception that most shops/cafes have lots of steps in front--not stroller friendly but that's ok. Although it did get me wondering how wheelchaired bound people navigate all these steps.

Going to eat dinner at Thai House tonight- wanted to go to Stanley Park for a short stroll but it's raining. Made a note to buy umbrella (forgot mine-doph).

The city looks gorgeous as always. All the flowers are in bloom and breath taking.

Thinking I might have a sweet crepe for dessert from Cafe Crepes---

MOA on Saturday along with Granville Island Market- other than that I don't have big plans since I'm on foot---have already gone up and down Robson but the shops are similar to ones in Chicago so no surprises there. I like to find more locally owned and unique stores- but I'm not sure where to go

Have picked up several free newspapers/entertainment mags for ideas.

any more suggestions?

thanks so much-having a wonderful time and the little guy did excellent on the flight-hardly a peep out of him.
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Hello Red! Welcome to the west coast.

For more local shops, try taking the bus over to Kitsilano. It's a very short ride over the bridge to this trendy and extremely popular neighbourhood near downtown Vancouver. Stroll along 4th Avenue, and you will find a wealth of specialty shops & cafes selling anything from locally designed clothing to unique housewares & gifts. This is where many local Vancouverites hang out on their weekends, taking long brunches at the many lovely bakeries & cafes, and doing some shopping. The beach is also a very short stroll away, just head down any cross-street until you pass first to reach it (4th is parallel). Kits Beach has a lovely clean stretch of beach, lots of amenities and activity equipment, and an amazing view of Stanley Park and downtown.

Hope you enjoyed Thai House.. mmmm great Thai food there. You can see my post in the thread about eating in Vancouver for more cuisine suggestions, if you are interested. Vancouver is a food-lover's paradise!

Georgia Straight is the free local paper listing what's on & what to do ~ pick it up, and check out some of the local goings-on. People there are very friendly and quick to share their help and opinions, so don't be shy to tell someone you are there visiting when you are out & about.

Enjoy your holiday
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:33 AM

I too find that Robson Street is rather generic, so if you're looking for window shopping, I'd try to explore Yaletown (located in the south-easternend of downtown) - around the intersection of Mainland and Helmcken Streets. This area is upscale and trendy - lots of great patio restaurants, little boutiques, and home decor shops - mostly independent, with the seawall on False Creek nearby. Totally non-touristy... totally non-Robson Street.

I agree on the 4th trip in Kits... Kits feels more like a local's neighbourhood. You can take the UBC #4 bus (heading south on Granville Street in downtown Vancouver) - within 10 minutes you'll find yourself in Kits. the beach is also nearby if you want a scenic break.

For something really unique, visit Commercial Drive one afternoon. It would give you a really funky, bohemian/old world Italian neighbourhood, with the exception to one Starbucks, the shops along Commercial Drive (between Broadway and Venables) are all independently owned.
You can easily get to Commercial Drive by taking the skytrain out of downtown Vancouver, eastbound to the Broadway station. Once at the station, just stroll north (towards the mountains) on Commercial Drive and you'll have lots of great Italian coffee shops, old world grocers, and a lot of neat shops - from Asian-style furniture, to a hippy store called "Beckwoman's - because my father never owned a business and I'm not a man". - really interesting neighbourhood. Once again, another favourite local hangout which rarely sees tourists.
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Do you think it's possible to walk to these locations? I'm pushing Kai around in a stroller because he is at that age where he doesn't want to hold hands yet wants to walk and darts away, so it's easier to strap him in and go.

If I have to hop the bus will they let me carry on the stroller, it's not an umbrella stroller it's a med sized one.

Old May 6th, 2005, 08:05 PM

Yaletown is nice but it was really hard to navigate there with my daughter's wheelchair - shops go from 1st level to 2nd level with stairs and very few ramps.

I would take your little one to the zoo at Stanley Park - there' s also a little train there. Or you may want to take the aquabus across to the Science Center (the big silver globe). My son really liked taking the ferry over to Lonsdale Quay and going up the tram to the top of Grousse Mountain.
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Well, I finally had a scoop of the famous Mondo Gelato--delish. They had me try a sample of pisstachio-yum but I settled on White chocolate and dark chocolate- Had dinner at the Boathouse- hubby was being difficult in terms of trying some of the more neighborhood places, but the boathouse was tasty as well.

Today it's off to Granville Island and then just walking around the area some more.

Yesterday had lunch at Bread Garden- it was so-so then had a snack later at BoJangles which was really good. Their salad was so fresh, then walked along the water through Coal Harbor and watched the float planes land/takeoff. Perfect day.
Old May 7th, 2005, 09:09 AM

G'day, I am visiting Vancouver for 5 days with my 21yo daughter in August - we are from Australia so just looking at your responses has also given me some great ideas that you don't read about in travel brochures etc...thanks heaps!!!
Old May 7th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Well, just returned from my day's adventures (so far)- Walked down Burrard street till we got to the ferries. Took the cute little mini boat over to Granville Island. Enjoyed all the stores but the one that stood out the most was the Craft Circle store. Bought myself a piece of art to be shipped home.

What really amazed me was the market. I have never seen such fresh fish, produce and goods. I was beside myself with mouth watering joy. Picked up some chinese food to go from one of the stalls and sat on the bench outside to enjoy it with the family.

I loved seeing all the fresh flowers and the fragrant smells of the blooms were divine. Then we took the ferry back over to the Aquatic center and walked along the shorewalk till we got to exhausted to contine...ugh our feet were killing us at this point.

We finally ended up back on the madhouse that is Robson, made a quick purchase of lavender scented foot rub and made our way to the Renaissance to rest.

I especially love walking through all the little side streets which are less congested and slower paced. As a gardner I love seeing all the beautiful landscaping everywhere. There is a lushness up here that you just don't see in Chicago. It reminds me of when I lived in Oahu.

Now just trying to figure out where to eat dinner.
Old May 7th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

OH forgot to add some food items that I've eaten that I give the "thumbs up" to.

Raspberry birdsnest cookie from the Bakery on Granville Island

Any food product sold inside the market is a can't miss purchase.

Steak and garlic mashed potatoes with fresh vegetable medley at The Boathouse was superb.

Ravioli from Bread Garden was just so-so..same for their breakfast wrap. I guess I'm not used to the food already being made and wating to be warmed up once you pick it from the case. I bought the wrap that way and the insides were still cold when served to me.

BoJangles has some tasty sandwiches. I had the terraki chicken wrap which came with a fresh side salad and the bell peppers were the sweetest I've ever tasted. Yum

Chocolate cake at The Mill on coal harbor was moist and melted in my mouth. Usually resturant cakes are a tad dry but this one tasted just like your grandma would make. The Nachos were big and piled high with fixins but the cheese was just shredded cheese that they then "nuked" and it didn't melt all the way. Being raised in Dallas, I'm used to "liquid" cheese on nachos--but hey we were drinking and eating them so it's all good.

Oh and had the sinful nutella and banana crepe from cafe crepes. Yippiekaiyeah.

Will post more food bites as they come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -