October 1010 NYC with 4 daughters

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to New York in October with 2 adult and 2 teenage daughters .I was surprised with a trip last September by my husband a week before we left and managed to cobble together quite a good itinerary by by visiting a fodors forum and reading replies to a lady using the name gelatolover ..I think who was going to NY at Christmas . There were some really good replies from audubon nycgirl and some others . I had an amazing time and am lucky enough to be making the trip again with 4 daughters . One daughter has been before with her husband but the other 3 will be visiting for the first time . I think it will definitely a once in a life time experience for us . We will celebrate one turning 16 and one turning 30 this year . As well as the " main attractions " the girls have said they would love to see Wicked visit some craft shops , go to the top of the empire state building even though I ve read that the top of the Rock is a better visit .We ll be meeting up to try and put together some sort of an itinerary so I would be so grateful for any pointers so that I could appear a bit more knowledgeable !! Also any chance someone could give us an idea on weather expected and more importantly what time it would get dark around 22 to 26 October . We re coming from Ireland on the Friday morn .
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:25 PM

"weather expected and more importantly what time it would get dark around 22 to 26 October"

www.weather.com
www.wunderground.com
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you vjplovesitaly
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

I d be grateful for any recommendations to take the girls to eat .
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:51 PM

In my humble opinion, October is one of the best months to visit NYC. Its not too hot or too cold and the number of other visitors (hence the lines) will be drastically reduced. It will probably be somewhere around the 50 to 65 degree mark in the daytime, which is perfect for both indoor and outdoor activities. Check weather.com as suggested before you fly in though. The weather in the North Eastern US can be fickle. If things are typcal, You'll need a heavy sweater or a jacket to guard againt the hawk if its blowing.

I'm not sure about the second part of your question. Some astronomy buff can probably answer it better then I

Lainey
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM

Get Wicked tickets now. The show has maintained its popularity and tickets are still hard to come by.

Encourage your daughters to opt fot Top of the Rock. It's much nicer to be able to see and photograph the Empire State Building from TOTR than to wait on line to visit it.

The weather could still be warmish during the days, but cooler at night. Much depends on the weather pattern at the time of your trip. I'd pack light layers—chances are you might need a jacket, but not a heavy coat. If it gets cooler, you could wear a sweater with your jacket instead of a lighterweight shirt.

I'm not sure what you mean by "crafts shops"—places to buy craft supplies or to buy handmade crafts?
Depending on your interests, in NYC you might enjoy visiting the Museum of Arts & Design, formerly the American Craft Museum.
http://www.madmuseum.org/
Another that might interest you is the American Folk Art Museum:
http://www.folkartmuseum.org/info
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:58 PM

Regarding sunlight hours, our summer daylight savings time does not switch back until the first weekend of November this year.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou Lainey . Exactly what I needed to know to help with packing I m hoping to get them to travel light . The reason for wanting to know what time it gets dark is simply to plan what things to view when . I saw fom the Empire State building on a rainy morn and it was beautiful so I imagine it will be more spectacular either at night or at a sunnier time . I m panicking a little. There are 5 of us so little time and so much we want to do ..
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ellenem . I ll def push the top of the rock . Craft is for one daughter who makes things but the craft museum sounds good for us all .
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

I ve looked back through previous posts and now have a list of eating from auduchamp1 which is great but can any one recommend somewhere near brooklyn bridge besides The River Cafe ?
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 03:00 PM

I don't know if you want a rest. on the Brooklyn side. but, if not, you might look into the Bridge Cafe.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profil...idge_cafe.html
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM

Well first WELCOME to NYC. I know you are going to have a GREAT time.

Find a hotel quickly if you have not already done so, the prices seem to be going up for hotels this fall.

The weekend you are going to be here, the fall colours should be just about peak, so make sure you head to the Met Museum and go up to the roof garden, have a glass of wine (or a soda) and marvel at the park, the colours from there are truely breathtaking.

The top of the Empire State Building, oh not so much, the lines are SO LONG you will spend more time in line than at the top so get tickets for the Top of the Rock and enjoy looking AT the Empire State.

If you want to see Wicked you need to get tickets NOW, the show is sold out still most weekends, and the fall is prime time tourist season still. If you can be flexible on what shows you want to see you can pick up tickets at TKTS, but go DOWNTOWN to the South St. Seaport, the line is never long and you can see a bit of downtown, or get the tickets and head up to Chinatown for a Dim Sum lunch.

From Chinatown, head up through Little Italy and get a little something for desert or a coffee treat.

From there you might enjoy seeing Old St. Patrick's Cathedral, part of olde New York.

The season at Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center will also be underway while you are here, so you might check and see if any concerts might be of interest as well.

Have a lovely time while you are here.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM

October is a great time of year to visit the city - cool enough to enjoy trekking around but not to need a heavy jacket.

for Wicked try to get tickets now - it is still selling out every night but you may be soon enough to get something. If you can;t get 5 seats together try for a 2 and a 3.

Top of the Rock is WAY better than ESB - an doesn't have the often hours long waiting line for the various banks of elevators.

Also, I hope you have a hotel - since fall seems to be selling out esp fast this year. if you don't let us know your budget and if you would prefer 2 rooms or a suite.

NYC has dozens of great restaurants and hundreds of good ones. for advice you need to tell us what type of cuisines you like/dislike and your price point. Also - any special requirements - do you want trendy and a chance to "see" someone, or casuale or ???
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gwendolynn . I checked that and it looked good . I ll put that on the list Thanks so much for replying . We ll be armed with maps and guidebooks but really appreciate personal recommendations . Ellenem thanks for word about wicked I ll book that in morning . Just checking would friday be better to do museums . I m keen to see as many as poss but found to my cost they were closed on mondays . we re all good walkers and keen to experience as much as much as possible .!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

and thankyou travelbuff and nytraveller .Hotel and flights booked but just trying to make best use of time there . I love your suggestions !!I think you d call us casual diners we re keen to try as much of new york food as poss even buying from street venders !! The girls are keen to experience everything about New York !!So possibly I m looking at maybe 20 or 30 dollars per head but I d hate to scrimp and miss out on something really special .
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 03:26 AM

While most museums are closed on Mondays, MOMA is open (and closed on Tues.) and the Mus. of Natural History doesn't close. You should know that many of the museums like the Met, are pay what you wish or "suggested" donations. Since there are so many of you, you should feel free to walk up to the desk, hand the ticket person whatever you think fair and say "for 4 please" and you'll be handed buttons. The Met is open late on Fri. and Sat. nights and has live music at that time. MOMA is open late on Fris. and is free starting at 5 which makes lines very long at that time. There are a lot of combo tickets you can buy to save some money. MOMA/Top of the Rock or MOMA/NYwaterway.com for a cruise are both good deals (and usually better than any of the tourist passes).

If you plan on doing any overview tour, kingofnyc.com is very good and realnewyorktours.com uses subway and walking rather than buses to get you around. Phototrektours.com is another fun idea. It would give you a photo record of the trip and at the same time a tour.

The most important piece of clothing will be comfort shoes (at least 2 pair).

menupages.com is a good place to start for restaurant research.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mclaurie .We ll checkout the links . It s lovely that people take time out to reply . You re rightly proud of your city . We are enjoying planning and so looking forward to getting there