Search

NYC Tour Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Tour Packages

Has anyone booked a tour pkg. in NYC that includes hotel, meals, a show, and tours? They seem like the best deal..one I looked at was Sheraton plus dinner, show & tour for 2.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 06:03 PM

They are a terrible idea. You can do the various parts yourself - getting what you really want for less money.

Typically these packages use shows that are already in discounts, hotels like the Sheraton (tacky and old) that are having trouble filling their rooms, and expensive tours that leave you sitting on a bus in traffic all day (in the heat or rain) versus actually seeing or doing anything.

Much better to get your own show (broadwaybox.com has coupons for those in discounts) and pick a hotel that you would really like. As for tours, IMHO the large bus tours in NYC are a very bad deal. Too much traffic, too much incorrect info and a lot of time wasted looking at outside of buildings. If you want a tour in NYC go for a walking tour or a small scale theme tour - where you don;t have to sit in the 90 degree heats and sun (you can;t see anything from the inside of the bus).
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I was just on the phone with a friend who said the same thing! OK back to square 1...Is there a particular hotel you would stay in? I think we want to stay in Times Square. Bad idea??
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 07:24 PM

If you're just coming to see a show, staying in Times Square is a good idea assuming you can find a decent one at a price you can afford. Hotel prices fluctuate based on dates. When are you coming and what did you want to pay for hotel? If you're planning the trip for the next month or so, Travelzoo.com and travel-ticker.com may have some good deals. I see the Sofitel which is near Times Square is on sale.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Not coming to see a show, but may do so. Week of Aug.21st for 3 nights. Never been to NYC so would like to see as much as I can in 3 days! I think I have a good hotel....then I read the reviews! Scary Looking at the Holiday Inn Express, West 39th St.. Any suggestions? $200 per night range. Is 39th st. close to subway?
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 08:23 AM

The Westin in Times square is a good choice and often priced well. But there are dozens of hotels the area It's not my favorite part of the city because of crowds and expensive (and generally inferior) restaurants, but many people like the bustle.

My advice: find a manhattan hotel in your price range regardless of where it is and then secure discounted tickets to Broadway shows of your choice. We can help you with restaurants if you tell us who you are, your price range, and what kinds of food you like.

The Sofitel, which is near Times Square but a bit out of the biggest crush of people, is a really good choice.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM

The Holiday Inn Express is ok (I don't love the location) but you can do much better that week if your dates are flexible and you come over the weekend. The Embassy Suites downtown near the ferries is $199/night plus tax for a 1 bedroom suite and includes free full cooked breakfast. (found it on oyster.com for Thurs-Sun) Look on oyster.com for a description of that HI Express.

There are offers for the Hudson and On the Avenue here both of which I think are nicer in nicer locations. http://www.travel-ticker.com/Destination/New_York
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM

The Holiday Inn Express between 5th and 6th aves is in a better location. But this location isn't bad, just kind of far from the subway ... As in a ten to fifteen minute walk. But I don't think it's " scary" by any means, and it's a brand new hotel. Not sure where that opinion comes from.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, Doug, didn't mean the Holiday Inn Express on West 39th sounded scary. I was reading reviews of so many hotels and the various complaints.
We are staying there 08/29 thru 09/01...it'll be fine. First trip to NYC so we're glad to get a reasonable hotel rate.