Search

NYC PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 04:58 PM
adeleh

NYC PLEASE HELP

We will be in nyc on 19th and 20th of September and we need some help.
1) We can not decide between River Side Cafe and Terrace in the sky. We are looking for good food, good service and a killer view.
2) we are staying in W on Times Square and in the mornings we would like to go a coffee shop to have some coffee and light pastry, something like Starbucks but definitely not SB. Thank you

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you mean River Cafe? If so, the view was awesome and the food was pretty good. Personally though, I'd prefer to take the subway to Brooklyn, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, and then head over to Chanterelle.

I've never been to Terrace in the Sky so I can't comment on it. Try doing a search on www.chowhounds.com.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 07:29 PM

There is a place at 42nd and 7th Ave that serves coffee and danish (I think it's a Cafe Europa, but not totally sure).
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 06:44 AM

i stayed at w a few years ago and i recall that there was a branch of dean and deluca in the lobby or just down the street (like maybe 10 feet) and they had great java/pastries, etc. re the hotel room, don't turn around too quickly or you'll knock your head. the rooms are closets.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 08:09 AM

Really good coffee and bagel place right across the street from Bryant Park. 42nd and 6th? Only been there once.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 09:27 AM

I've visit NYC frequently and have found the best coffee and danish/bagels come right from the street vendors. Also, the Roxy Deli has good ones, but much pricier than the vendors. Also, for a great view and good food try the top floor of the Marriott Marquis - it's a revolving restaurant and lounge.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 11:42 AM

The views are totally different. Terrace in the Sky is city view up high. River Cafe is ground level "skyline" view-what you'd expect in a picture postcard. River Cafe American food, Terrace more French/continental. Can't go wrong with either-maybe slight edge to river cafe view, ASSUMING you get a good table.

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 03:28 PM

travelnut -- maybe you can pass around some of that stuff you're smokin'?

maybe if you're from a small town in powdunk iowa (no offense) you think the street vendors sell "the best coffee and danish/bagels" but new yorkers only buy from them purely for convenience. you're rushing to work and didn't eat breakfast. no sane person would chose cart food over the unbelieveable bakeries and patisseries that exist in EVERY neighborhood in Gotham, and you even suggesting such is, quite frankly, insulting.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:35 PM

Thank you flopmeister for saying what I was thinking. I only bought a doughnut once from a NYC street vendor and it was dry, stale and horrible. And I've tried coffee twice. It was diluted boiling water with a slight coffee flavoring. I dumped both of them out.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 05:19 PM
adeleh

Thank you for all the suggestions. Actually I am from a verry small town in PA but I am not for vendors in NYC. I am looking for everything classy that I can find in NYC.
And yes I meant River Cafe.

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 08:06 AM

i think you can't go wrong at river cafe, definitely walk across the bklyn bridge. it's not too early to make reservations, and i might add you should let them know you're from out of town and would like a table with a great view (the concierge at w might be able to make that call as well).