Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Babette's Final Four (specific!) NYC questions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys should see the mess of notes on my desk right now! But i'm almost done!

1. The don't really have Breakfast at Tiffany's (do they?) but how about a suggestion somewhere close for a quick early bite to kick off our shopping day? (do the stores open at 10?)

2. We don't have a great view spot on our itinerary yet. Is there a good place for drinks and apps before show time (near Broadway) on Friday night? Does the Rainbow Room welcome this type of biz? OR should we just do dinner at the Rainbow Room after the show(what's this I hear about only open to the public on certain Friday and Saturday nights?) instead of going to Cafe Carlyle?

3. Can you just have dessert at La Grenouille? (I'd love for my mother-in-law to see the decor but we are out of meals!)

4. How about a great bagel suggestion near our hotel for the morning of our departure? (We are at the Iroquois on 44th between 5th and 6th)

Many, MANY thanks for all you fabulous advice! I swear if any of you helpful New Yorkers come to Aix-en-Provence I will take gladly you for a drink at the most beautiful garden terrace in all of Provence!
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 09:13 AM

Babette....relax....you're definitely over-planning your trip! Think spontaneity!
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 11:27 AM

The great thing about Manhattan is one can walk out the door and find everything you need and then some. So I'm with HowardR, relax and walk around. Don't overplan -- no need in NYC. At any given moment you'll be totally surrounded by amazing dining/dessert/bagel/coffee/entertainment/etc options.

With the exception of necessary dinner reservations, I generally advise visitors to make no plans but have a basic idea of what they want to see. It always works out for the best.

Enjoy New York!
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Well said, Gekko!
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 11:42 AM
GoTravel

Have breakfast at Normas in Le Parker Meridian and exit the 57th Street exit. Walk down 57th a block and a half and you are at Tiffany & Co. It is on the corner of 57th and Fifth Avenue.

You can have drinks at the bar at The Rainbow Room. My favorite time is at dusk. Top of Rockefeller Center and don't forget your wallet as you pay through the nose for that view.

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 12:13 PM

Another option for a great evening view is to have drinks at the revolving rooftop lounge atop the Marriot Marquis at Times Square. It's called "The View Lounge." Just another suggestion...like you need one, huh?

Have a great time in the Big Apple!
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 12:31 PM

Norma's is quite a hike from the Iroquois. The Red Flame, a very typical New York "coffee shop" is a few doors down from the Iroquois.

Our favorite spot for a drink before a show is the Broadway Lounge (nice appetizer menu too) at the Marriott Marquis.

Check out Gaby's, the restaurant at the Sofitel, next door to the Iroguois. Great for drinks, breakfast, lunch, late night dining.

Also good for drinks with appetizers is the lobby lounge of the Algonquin (same block as Iroquois).

The Rainbow Grill has a bar overlooking Midtown toward the Empire State Building. Drinks are nearly $20 (but generously poured). Be advised there's often a long line.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 02:31 PM
ConstanceZ

The don't really have Breakfast at Tiffany's (do they?) No! I think they once did but not anymore.

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Okay then, I think that just about does it!! Thanks to all of you who provided such good suggestions.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 05:11 AM

You've gotten great advice and I do agree there should be some room for spontaneity. I also understand you want to make this trip special for your MIL. So how could I not chime in?

1. They never served breakfast at Tiffany's. If you remember the movie, she brought hers along with her! I understand they do sometimes do special events though for their best customers. The stores normally open at 10 but at Xmas time they might open earlier so you should check. My suggestion for breakfast before Tiffany's is a restaurant called Michael's on 55th st between 5th & 6th. This is a lovely California cuisine (ie fresh, healthy but not twigs & leaves) place that caters to media people (particularly from Conde Nast which owns Vogue, Architectural Digest etc.) You'll be 3 blocks from Tiffany. While Norma's at Le Meridien is famous for their breakfast, it's LARGE portions. Michael's is not a tourist place. Dress well.

2. While the bar at the Rainbow Room has stunning views, it's not geographically desirable to most Broadway theaters. The bar at the Marriott Marquis (45th & Broadway)will probably be closer. The other option that nobody seems to mention on this board is the restaurant in the new Hilton Times Square (on 42 & Broadway) called Above. It's on the 21st floor so views may not be quite as good as at the Marriott. I haven't been.

And yes,the Rainbow Room is only open on certain Fris & Sats but during Xmas season that might change. They are on the website Cipriani.com so you might check there. The decision of there vs the Carlyle really depends on what you want. The Rainbow Room is closer to the theater & your hotel so it could be walked. It's very difficult to get cabs after the theater. If you decide on the Carlyle, you might want to consider ordering a car to meet you after the theater since it's uptown (77th) & east side (Madison). I like Bobby Short (assuming he's playing which he usually does as this time of year-check the Carlyle website) but many people don't appreciate him. He's famous for doing Cole Poerter.

3. I don't think you can just do dessert at Grenouille but you might wnat to call & find out. I can't keep track of your itinerary, but Grenouille does a $45 lunch & is right near the midtown shops (it's on 52 betw 5th & 6th).

4. For your departure day stay at your hotel or as djbooks suggests, try the Sofitel next door. BTW, are you aware there's a restaurant in your hotel called Triomphe that gets quite a good review in Zagat's?

A final thought. If your MIL is looking to buy anything in particular, you might want to think about arranging for a personal shopper at one of the department stores. They offer this service free of charge, I believe. The stores will be packed & it may be difficult to navigate your way around. You can contact say Bergdorf's or Barney's online, tell them what she's looking for, her size etc. & they will have things picked out for her to look at before you arrive.

Have a great trip.

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 05:54 AM

I, personally, think Bemelmen's is worth the trip. The room is comfortable, the murals are whimsical and gorgeous, and whoever is performing is always terrific. We were underwhelmed with Bobby Short. Herded in, perfunctory service, show started late, whopping cover charge for short show, herded out. Many tables have obstructed views. And, believe it or not, folks around us (and apparent "regulars" at the bar) actually talked during the show.

The bar at the Times Square Hilton is okay. Note you enter the hotel, then take the elevator up to the lobby. Views are not terrific.

Don't recommend Sardi's for pre-theater drinks. It's always mobbed with a long, long line at the ladies room.

If you're going to have drinks before a show, be SURE to visit the ladies room there, then again as soon as you get to the theater (leave time for this). The lines are very, very long at intermission.

Norma's has very good food, with lofty prices to match. Best bet is to reserve, then decide whether to go there.

You can reserve for the Rainbow Room and Norma's at www.opentable.com.