Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need your help with final NYC hotel candidates!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:01 AM
wj1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all of you who responded on another thread where I asked for some general advice about choosing a hotel. It was very helpful. Now I've done the research and narrowed the list to 4 hotels and we would appreciate any advice you may have about the hotels and neighborhoods. You will see that 3 of these are close to Columbus Circle which is close to where friends of ours have an apartment (1 block west). They have made the area sound desirable and although we will not be seeing them everyday, we thought it would be nice to be close to them. Here are the 4 contenders:

Blakely: 136 W. 55th St. between 6th and 7th. The room is 310', comes with coffee maker in the room, free wifi and a kitchenette which might be useful for breakfasts. Avg. of $305 per night.

6 Columbus Circle: This is the closest to our friends and is close enough so my husband can take a run in the Park which is something he wants to do. Free wifi. 300'. $315 per night.

Iroquois: 49 W. 44th Street. We know the least about this location. 300'. Free wifi. $292 per night.

Park Central Hotel: This hotel probably isn't in the same class as the others. I'm not sure of the square footage but we can get a King Concierge Room on floors 18-25 for $263. Coffee maker.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks again!
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM

I live here in Manhattan, so I can only comment on location.

Columbus Circle is BY FAR the best spot.

You couldn't find anything on the east side?

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
TC

I've stayed often at the Blakely. Its a lovely, boutique hotel with a great staff in an excellent location. It is quite close to Central Park, so your husband can easily get in his run. There are lots of very good little restaurants in the area -- a great place for inexpensive breakfasts right across the street. There are also very handy subway stops just one block away. The "kitchenettes" aren't too much -- only a little niche with a bar sized sink, tiny microwave and a little fridge (which often froze our sodas), but they do provide utensils, plates, cups, glasses and a coffee maker. It was fine for keeping wine, snacks, or leftovers. Our king room had a little sitting area near the window with a loveseat and a large comfortable chair and ottoman for lounging. This was a "deluxe" room, not the suite. The baths are good sized with lots of nice vanity space. The lighting wasn't the best I've ever had in a bath, but o.k.

I don't believe that either the Iroquis or (absolutely not) the Park Central would be in the same catagory.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
wj1
Original Poster

Thanks Gekko.

It's not that I couldn't find anything on the West Side, it's just that I really wasn't looking for anything in that area. I heard that it was less residential which meant that things closed down a bit more at night and that subway access wasn't as good.

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:17 AM

South of 59th Street, the east side (east of 5th Ave) is much more quiet and "residential" than the West 40's and 50's.

(No part of midtown is really considered residential except the neighborhoods on the East River.)

And if you're near the 51st or 59th Street subway stations on Lex, you can get anywhere in the city.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:38 PM

The only one I've stayed at was Park Central. It was clean and comfortable (although certainly not luxurious), and well-located for mid-town stuff. And we got a corner room with windows (that you could actually open) looking both out onto 7th Ave and down to Times Square.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:25 PM

I've never heard of the Blakely but it looks very nice-- what star category would you give it-- 3 or 4 star? it looks like a nice choice for us when we bring DD with us to NYC-- the one bedroom suites seem reasonably priced.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:10 AM

I'd chose b/w 6 Columbus & the Blakely. 6 Columbus is new and trendy. Some of their rooms are very very small. Not sure which one you'd get at that price. Did you check prices on quikbook.com? The Blakely is more traditional but very nice.

The Iroquois is furthest from the park. It's a lovely smaller hotel but rooms tend to be very small and it's about 10 south of the others (on west 44 st.)
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:07 AM
TC

Emcash; I'm not good at that star rating thing.....I really like the Blakely, so would give it 4 or 5 stars. Another good choice for a suite-type hotel is The Doubletree on Broadway. I've also stayed there. The suites are quite large and the baths are huge. Its an excellent location if you are in town to see theater at 47th and Broadway.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:37 AM

Thanks TC. I'm not crazy about the theatre district/Times sqaure area. the blakely looks wonderful though. I think we may try it for an upcoming trip. Thank you!