Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC Parking--I thought it would be more expensive...

Notices

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did a check on the Icon Parking System sight and found parking around Times Square (Sunday June 11 from approx 2pm until 1130pm) and the most expensive was 30$
total--we have an SUV so some charge and extra 10$. Some of the lots were Zenith, Port, Resource, Astor, and Advance located between 7th and 8th and 43rd to 50th.
Have any of you parked in these lots and does the price seem right--is it cheaper because it is a Sunday?
Also, have you used the Icon System?
Don't know if this link will work or not--it may time out.
http://iconparking.com/Time_Theater.asp
Thanks!!!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Christine -- ICON is just fine & there are coupons on their website where you get a discount if you have a theater ticket stub. They are usually the cheapest.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:32 AM
GoTravel

Yes, the prices do sound normal and SUVs and mini vans usually have a surcharge however Sunday parking should be a little cheaper than weekday.

There is free street parking downtown on Sundays if you want to spend the time searching.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:34 AM

Parking prices in NYC depend on several factors. Date, time, indoor garage or outdoor parking lot, location, and what events are going on in Manhattan at the time. Most lots and garages have early bird specials, if your in by a certain time the rate can be greatly reduced. Sunday parking on the street in NYC is now free which has led to more competitive pricing. If you don't know the area I would not suggest street parking. Several garages use the Icon system, perfectly legit.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks ya'll are fast!!!
We are taking my parents in to the city and doing the NY Party Shuttle tour which leaves from 7th between 49 & 50th. They can't do alot of walking so just wanted to park somewhere fairly close. We've never parked in the city b4 always take the train in--but this is alot cheaper so thought we'd try. I just don't want to screw up and not be able to park the SUV.
GoTravel--not to sound stupid but how would I go about searching for street parking? Drive around til we find something?--I don't think my mom could take the stress--ha!!!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:10 AM

I would just doublecheck that the lots you want are open on Sun. and will take your SUV. Some won't regardless of price.

You could find street parking, but it's unlikely it will be near the Party Shuttle. From where are you driving?
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Should also mention you should reserve a space and print out the price etc. and take it with you. Have heard people complain that some lots try to charge more than price quoted online. When challenged, the answer was online price is discounted. Show me the receipt.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Mclaurie: Thanks...I will definitely print out the receipt. On the Icon sight it lists what days they are open and if they take SUV's (how much extra they charge)
We are driving from NJ--Sparta which is about an hour drive or 1 1/2 on the train from Dover station. 7 of us are going in so parking would be much cheaper than the train.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Neopolitan

Yes, many do not take SUV's and most that do will charge you more. We were shocked when doing monthly parking on the upper East Side to find that most garages actually charged double for an SUV. My car was smaller in length and width than the big Cadillacs and Lincoln Town Cars parked there, and there was no height problem, so I couldn't figure out why my car should cost $ 750 a month, when those cars cost $ 375 a month.

The huge Hippodrome Garage on 44th used to not charge anything extra for SUVs or even minivans. I'm not sure if that's still true.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

I'm just curious as to why one lot charges only 12$ and another 37$? They are both indoors, in the same area and I don't see any other differences other than what they charge for an SUV which is 7$ vs 10$.
Is there such a thing as a 'bad' lot?
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Double check with the garage before turning up with an SUV - many will take them for an extra $10. But - if it's a big SUV they may not be able to take it at all (roof may be too low).

Sunday is usually cheaper and those garages are pretty far west - so that price doesn;t surprise me.

Icon is fine - and has the benefit of being able to make on-line reservations.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

oh so farther west makes a difference ok, I just thought I might be missing something w/the prices so low. I was expecting more like 30$/hour.
Will check w/the garages b4 I make a reservation.
Thanks again for all of the responses!!!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Neopolitan

Unless I missed it another possible reason for the difference in pricing between lots is that some may be indoors and others may be outdoors.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Most of the garages have a max after 2 or 3 hours so it won't matter too much if you are there for 2 or 5 hours, you'll still pay the same. I have found that the garages farther west are cheaper. Sometimes it is cheaper to park on the far west side and then take a cab to the center of Times Square (although I probaby wouldn't recommend that for a Sunday). Make sure to check the closing time of the garage, some garages in that area close early on Sundays.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Nope, all indoors within several blocks of each other.
I just hope that the cheaper lots don't reflect bad service or worse ya know!!!