Search

NYC Next Week - Last Minute Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Next Week - Last Minute Questions

We are heading to NYC next week and I have a couple of last minute questions:

1. What is the area like on West 36th Street and 9th Avenue? We wanted to go to a comedy show there. Should we take the subway? We would be returning late to our hotel on East 53rd St and 3rd Ave, probably midnight. Or would a taxi be better? Just wondering about safety of riding subway that late and the ease of getting a taxi in this area.

2. Our flight leaves out on a Tuesday at 4 pm. Would we have time to ride the subway from our hotel up to the Yankee Stadium for a tour starting at 9 am and then return to our hotel to freshen up before checking out at noon?

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM

The closest subway is at 34th St and 8th Ave. The subway would be safe after the show. Take the E train from 34th and 8th to 51st St and Lexington which just a few blocks from your hotel. For two or more people, I'd just take a taxi if it's really late, since trains don't run as often.

The trip to Yankee Stadium is about 30-40 minutes from your hotel, not including waiting for the train. Plan accordingly.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM

It is perfectly safe to take the subway - lots of people using the subway even around midnight. You can get an E train near your hotel - take it to the 34 St. stop - that's on 8th Avenue. Re taxi - 9th Avenue is usually a traffic disaster - Lincoln Tunnel traffic can be impossible.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM

I wouldn't really worry about the area around the comedy club. The area around West 36th isn't particular lovely or atmospheric, but it's safe enough, certainly at midnight. I wouldn't hesitate to go by subway. Though ellenem has a point about the subway slowing down after 11pm. But if you wanted to walk up to Times Square after the comedy show, it should definitely still be hopping. If the night is nice, you might actually enjoy the walk back to you hotel ... about 30 minutes or so if you take a length detour around the pedestrianized area in Times Square.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:33 PM

Subway would be perfectly safe - but at that time of night not too frequent. I would just grab a cab instead.

Double check with the stadium on the length of the tour. If it's an hour you have plenty of time - if it's considerably longer you could check out and put your luggage in storage and then come back and pick it up after an early lunch.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. We live in Texas about an hour north of Houston, and the thought of roaming its' streets at night is something we'd never do. I guess that's why we question the safety of walking the streets and using the subway. Appreciate your help.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM

"thought of roaming its' streets at night is something we'd never do."

But do you go home when the sun goes down and never venture out? I'll bet you go out, but you take your car, like most in your area. Most NYers don't have cars, so when we go out, we're walking, in a taxi, or on bus or subway. You won't be alone.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM

If it were me, I'd walk. Just head right over across town and walk up 5th - take a cab if you get tired. I don't love the Comedy Club area but it's not particularly dangerous. Times Square is a lot of fun any time. If it's not too late drop in for a drink at Langan's on 47th (I am almost positive) just east of B'way. Congenial crowd, nice Irish pub.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:53 AM

lreeves, the point of coming to NYC is to roam the streets. New York doesn't quiet down until long long after midnight. And walking around Times Square at night to see the lights is actually one of the highlights. Rock Center too, which will still be crawling with tourists until well after midnight.

New York City is considerably safer than Houston.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 09:02 AM

And just so you know, al pubic transit runs 24/7 - although in the small hours - after midnight you ay have to wait 20 minutes or so for a train or bus.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

"But do you go home when the sun goes down and never venture out? I'll bet you go out, but you take your car, like most in your area."

So true. I have to look at it from a NYC point of view. Thanks for the great tips everyone.