Subway from Apollo Theater to Astor Place

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wandering is there a closer subway to/from Astor Place subway station to Apollo Theater. My husband and I will see a K.D.Lang concert on Oct 27th. The concert starts at 8 p.m. Also, is it still safe to take subway back to Astor Place station at night? Or how much it cost to take a taxi?
Many thanks.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 03:39 PM

closer than what?
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 04:32 PM

Why Astor Place? Are you staying near there? If so, I suggest you take the train one short block away at 8th St and Broadway.

From 8th St and Broadway, take the N, R, or W uptown to 42nd St/Times Square. Transfer to the 2 or 3 uptown to 125th St/Lenox Ave. You will be 1.5 blocks from the Apollo Theater.

It is safe to take the subway at night. Just be aware of your surroundings.

I suspect a taxi from there would cost $15-$20.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 05:45 PM

The Appolo Theatre is on the West side of town, and the subway at Astor Place is the Lex Ave line which is on the East side.

Probably the best way to get there would be on the A/B/C/D subway line which runs up 6th Ave (B/D) and 8th Ave (A/C) and stops at 125th and St. Nicholas which is a block away from the Appolo.

You can catch the trains at 42nd St by taking the 6 train to 42nd St, and take the shuttle to Times Square, follow the signs for the A train and take that to 125th St.

A cab back and forth will probably be around $25.

Oh and yes it's safe to take the subway both ways, there will be lots of people on the street.

Hope this helps.

Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM

I think it will cost at least $25 to get to the Apollo Theater if not more.

If you want you can walk all the way over to 6th Avenue adn West 8th street and catch the uptown ABCD.

or if you want to take a subway from the east side, you could also take the R/W to 34th street and catch the B or D there, but I think the B and D run infrequently.

I would rather walk all the way to 6th avenue and take one train.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 06:35 PM

<<You can catch the trains at 42nd St by taking the 6 train to 42nd St, and take the shuttle to Times Square, follow the signs for the A train and take that to 125th St.>>

This is a bad idea in my opinion. Following the signs from the shuttle to the A train, you have to walk thourgh long unpleasant tunnels for an entire block underground.

If you are prepared to do that, then I like
Williamscb's suggestion: From Astor Place walk east along Waverly Pl to 6th Ave. It's a pleasant walk through the Village along the north side of Washington Square.

At the corner of 6th Ave and Waverly, you can get into the West 4th St subway station. Take the A train uptown from there. The A train is an excellent choice--it skips many stops and will get you to 125th St quickly.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone. Yes, we stay at the St. Marks Hotel therefore I want to know how to get there back and forth.