Who makes the best bagels in New York City?

Apr 18th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Who makes the best bagels in New York City?

We'll only be in New York for a few days, and we both would love to sample some of the best bagels. We'll be staying near Times Square... anyplace near there where we could have a great bagel and coffee for breakfast? Or... must one travel a distance for the best bagels?

Sandy
Apr 18th, 2005, 06:57 AM

There are many good bagels, and you'll get some debate, but one that will most often be mentioned as best is H&H Bagels, on upper west side (80th St. and Brodway). It's a quick subway trip from times square, you can be there is just a few minutes. They also have a location at 46th St. and 12th Avenue, several blocks west of times square.
One of my favorites is Essa Bagel (main store on 21st St. and 1st Ave., have another one at 51st St. and 3rd Ave).
Apr 18th, 2005, 07:42 AM

ALso Bagels on the Square on Carmine St (between 6th av and Bleecker). It's a quick ride from times sq to the village (A,E,C,B,D,F to West 4th).
Apr 18th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

almesq & MFNYC,
Thanks for the great information! It's going on my list MFNYC... thanks for the subway information too. I recognize Bleeker Street, as I have been trying to figure out the best way to get to Greenwich Village. Having never been to NYC, I have to admit to being a little intimidated by the subway, so I'm studying the map beforehand.

Sandy
Apr 18th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Topping for ESS-A-Bagel. You can walk to the one on 51st and 3rd from Times Square.
Apr 18th, 2005, 08:01 AM

Another vote for Essa Bagel. I used to live a block away from the 21st St location, and miss it ALOT living uptown.

Another MUST for your trip is Veniero's on 1st and 11th. The BEST pasteries in the city. Long lines in the evening, but so worth it. Alot of restaurants in the city get their deserts from Veniero's.

Have a great time while you are here.
Apr 18th, 2005, 08:35 AM

My quest for the best bagels ended at H&H Bagels on the Upper East Side, 2nd Avenue between 80th & 81st Streets.

Often, they're too hot to eat right away, fresh out of the oven.

Be prepared for long lines during the morning rush and on weekends (but the line moves quickly).

Enjoy!
Apr 18th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Syd and wantsomesun! ESS-A-Bagel sounds like a good location for us... close enough to walk. Veniero's sounds wonderful! I find it hard to resist good pastry.

Gekko, thanks for the suggestion of H&H bagels. We will definitely have to try that one, as I notice they have a website where you can order them online, although I'm sure they're not quite as good as fresh out of the oven. Also, a lot more expensive than buying them in New York, I'm imagine.

http://www.handhbagel.com/

Sandy
Apr 18th, 2005, 11:48 AM

I second the recommedation for H&H...
Apr 18th, 2005, 11:56 AM

What are your criteria for "best" bagels.
Apr 18th, 2005, 11:57 AM

You can do both. Go and eat at Ess-A-Bagel for breakfast. Then, on the day that you're leaving, have your cab (assuming you're taking a cab) make a quick stop (leave 20 minutes earlier than you planned) at 81st and Broadway and grab a dozen hot bagels (make sure to ask what's hot) to take on the plane. Not only will you have a great snack, but the entire plane will smell like hot, fresh bagels!
Apr 18th, 2005, 12:19 PM

On one of my first trips to NY (so this must be 10 years ago, or so) I went to H&H to get the quintessential bagel. I can't remember how the bagel was because I got a bloody lip from a 1/2 inch long wood splinter in the bagel.

Someone told me that unscrupulous bagel places use sawdust as filler. I can't beleive this of H&H with it's reputation, but does anyone have any idea what the deal was with the splinter?
Apr 18th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Ess-A for sure...
Apr 18th, 2005, 12:42 PM

That's a strange story, Litespeed. Sandypaws, don't let it deter you. If anything, maybe the splinter came from the wood trays they grab the bagels with (like in pizza places) and a piece came off. Never heard anything quite like that and I've eaten well over 10 dozen H&H bagels (not at once).
Apr 18th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Just note that the H&H mentioned by Gekko on 2nd Avenue is unrelated to the "real" H&H on the west side. There was a lawsuit, and the 2nd avenue place was forced to change its name to H&H midtown east, but it still confuses people and tries to cash in on the H&H name. Bagels there are just ok, but not anywhere near as good as the real H&H on 80th St. and Broadway.
Apr 18th, 2005, 01:12 PM

BOYCOTT H&H!!!!!!!....they don't celebrate "Festivus"...support Kramer's picket!!!
Apr 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM

I would go to Ess-a-Bagel! Ask for whatever is hot because that just makes it so much better! Try a bagel with lox, onion and cream cheese - yummy!

I may be mistaken (please correct if I'm wrong) but H&H on the west side is just a shop where you buy the bagels - they don't make it for it you. So another argument for Ess-a-bagel - you can sit and relax and have your bagel and coffee...
Apr 18th, 2005, 05:43 PM

I vote for Bagels on the Square--the frenchtoast bagel is my absolute favorite! I brought a dozen home with me when we left NYC and plan to get more this summer.

We tried H&H and were disappointed that the bagels weren't "fixed" for us. I expected a hot bagel with cream cheese but they just sell the bagels. Oh well, it was tasty but not exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll try Essa Bagel this next trip too.
Apr 26th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the great bagel information!

happytrailstoyou,
I guess it would be subjective... what bagels do you like best? I'll let you know, after I've sampled a few different kinds of New York bagels, what my criteria are I'm from a small town in the Midwest, and the only bagels I've ever had, besides the ones in the grocery store, are the ones from Big Apple Bagels, and to me, they're pretty good. A friend who lived in New York for several years assures me, though, that they don't even come close to what I can find in New York City

Litespeed,
Ooh... a bloody lip from a 1/2 inch long splinter!?! That sounds painful!

Sandy

Apr 26th, 2005, 12:34 PM

The east side H&H is better than the west side, in my opinion, and I've been to both many many times.

On Second Ave, the bagels are definitely made right there (and, as noted, are often hot out of the oven).

Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO