Picnic near deYoung Museum - SF

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2009, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to see the King Tut exhibit on Sunday afternoon (already bought tix) at the deYoung Museum in SF and are planning to have a picnic lunch before our scheduled time to see the exhibit. Can anyone recommend an area reasonably close by with picnic tables? Thanks
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 09:04 AM

The area between DeYoung and Science Museum has benches for Sunday concerts - don't remember if they have any tables, if you can't find anything better.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:19 AM
SAB

There are dedicated picnic areas with tables in Golden Gate Park for people to reserve for formal group picnics and they usually are booked or taken on summer weekends. There are lots of open areas around the DeYoung where you can have a bench or lawn picnic. I have seen lots of people having informal picnics on the benches in the area between the DeYoung and the Academy.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:36 AM

In case you are looking for a lawn picnic place (somehow I thought you are looking for tables only) the best would be to walk over to the arboretum - there is a gate, but the entrance is free, there is a lake, behind it is a fountain, squarrells running around, it's nice there.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:39 AM

BTW~the cafe at the de Young is lovely with outdoor seating as well.

Do go up to the observation floor when at the de Young.
You can almost see Russia from there.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 11:43 AM

>>>You can almost see Russia from there.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

LOL about seeing Russia We've been to the deYoung before, and the view is definitely terrific. Last time my husband took a series of photos and "stitched" them together in photoshop. Way cool.

And yes, we are looking for picnic tables or at least benches. My mom has difficulty with her knees, so sitting on the ground can sometimes be difficult for her - basically just depends on how the knees are feeling that day. Perhaps if we were on a small hill If it weren't for her knees, we'd just find a shady spot on the grass and plop ourselves down.

Anyone know if there is a rule at the outdoor tables for the cafe against bringing in outside food if there are tables available (big IF though, I am thinking)? Last time we went to the deYoung, we ate in the cafe and it was packed.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

We had a great day at GG park yesterday. We had our picnic in the stands of the baseball field just south of the the Academy of Sciences. There was a team out there practicing, which was fun to watch.

The King Tut exhibit was absolutely terrific - I highly recommend it if you have any interest in ancient Egypt. It was crowded though, so if you can go on a weekday, so much the better.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM

november_moon, glad you had a good time yesterday and thanks for the heads up on the King Tut Exhibit!

We're still trying to decide which day.

I just learnt that Costco has a package of discounted tickets, but they still cost more than what we can get with our membership.

Good tip on going on a weekday.