Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to do in S.F. area if it's raining?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 20-year-old son and I are flying to San Francisco this Saturday for a week to visit my other two sons who recently moved there (actually, one's in Sunnyvale). I had planned quite a few things for us to do while we are there, but most of them involved either being outdoors a lot (walking around and exploring the city, renting bikes and going across the GG Bridge to Sausolito and taking the ferry back, exploring GG Park), or sightseeing and hiking in the surrounding areas (Point Reyes, maybe Muir Woods, or going south to Half Moon Bay - maybe even as far as Big Sur, if we felt ambitious). Unfortunately, the long range weather forecasts show that it's likely to rain almost every day we'll be there! I'd love some alternative suggestions for what to do on rainy days. I spent a day at the MOMA when I was there last summer, and enjoyed that, so we may go back there, since my son hasn't seen it. We also spent an entire day at the Exploratorium a couple of years ago, which is wonderful, but I don't know if he'd be up for going back there again. I went to Alcatraz last summer, but he hasn't been there, so that may be a possibility, if that interests him. I would love to hear any other ideas any of you might have.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:21 AM

You might want to visit the de Young Museum in GG Park and the Legion of Honor which has a special photographic exhibit on the 1906 earthquake.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:31 AM

The new Asian Art museum is very interesting, it's in the old main library building on Larkin Street. There is a good cafe.

Yerba buena gardens have a new movie theater with 3-D movies, but call ahead if they have 3-D.

The Legion of Honor is an interesting museum, check for exhibits.

Oakland museum is a good one!

Berkeley - a (free!) tour of the chocolate factory Scharffen-Berger, stay for lunch as Cafe Cacao, food is great. Not far from there is the Sake factory, they have tasting, and I think it's free too.

You can also take the Golden Gate transit bus over the bridge instead of the ferry to Sausalito.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:36 AM
KT

I was posting at the same time as Faina, which is why I seemed to be repeating her suggestions! I have to say, though, that I've tried Cafe Cacao three times and each time the service was pretty bad and the food, apart from the chocolate desserts, was pretty spotty. But other people do like it.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:37 AM
KT

How about the Asian Art Museum? Also, check out what's happening at Yerba Buena Center, and the nearby Museum of Craft and Folk Art.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:38 AM
KT

Now that is peculiar. My earlier post (re Asian Art Mus, etc.) seems to have moved down below my later one (re Cafe Cacoa). ???
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:49 AM

If it's not absolutely pouring buckets (as it can do in SF), I'd still opt for a walk through Muir Woods.

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:58 AM

The late great Herb Caen, the Chronicle columnist, once wrote a fantastic piece about getting from the Chron building to his lunch date off Union Square by snaking through buildings, BART stations, sidewalks with awnings, etc. I couldn't help but remember that with a smile when I saw this thread title.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM

To sfamylou:
That Herb Caen set of rainy-day instructions was updated each year, as I recall. I worked at the Russ Building (Bush and Montgomery Streets) for many years, and I used his suggestions frequently on rainy days. Saw some terrific art exhibits in lobbies I never would have entered otherwise! I miss ol' Herb.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM
SAB

Yes, there are supposed to be showers this weekend, but nothing like the downpour we have had in the last 24 hours. Indeed it is supposed to rain today, but right now it is sunny in downtown SF. Don't give up all your outdoor plans--just be ready and willing to do something on short notice. When the weather clears, take advantage of it without delay--that's my mantra in winter!!!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:19 AM

KT, yes, this happens sometimes when 2-3 posts get on the website at the same time. I do notice it, but not often.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:34 AM

I remember Herb Cain's articles about walking to and from the Chron Bldg on rainy days. I miss his articles so much!

Sara, don't get discouraged. So often the weather predictions turn out to be wrong. And walking in SF in the rain can be fun. I wouldn't want to bike across the GG Bridge in the rain but if the truth be told I wouldn't want to in the sun either, LOL.

I have been in Muir Woods when there was a gentle rain and it was beautiful. I love walking along the Embarcedero when it is raining, looking at the SF Bay etc. And don't forget about the fun of stopping in a cafe for a hot cup of coffee etc.

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Redwood forests in a light rain are one of my favorite things
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 12:41 PM

And don't trust the weather forecast that much! They said it will be raining today, but the sun is out, such a gorgeous day, what am I doing in my cubicle? Oh, yeah, like you, Sara, counting days till next vacation
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:09 PM

RE: Herb Caen. He probably did update it a every year. I remember best one about cutting through the Flood Building and used the tip many times. The good old days. I was in his column once, and I went to his funeral.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:21 PM

It has certainly been raining today here in San Jose. We have a break in the clouds right now, but more clouds are on the horizon.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Keep 'em clouds there in the South Bay please
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Scharffenberger is a great suggestion ( wonder where Faina got the idea? )

Also try one meal in Japantown - lots to see and do there for several hours. Try the gelato at Sophie's Choice as the dessert to your Japanese meal.

Muir Woods would be magical in the rain - another great suggestion.

Everyone recommends Alcatraz - me, I've never been. Too scary. Yes, I'm chicken. Night tour is supposedly better than the day tour.

You can also dodge in and out of the shops in Chinatown like we did this weekend. There were a lot of tourists and natives. If there during noon, try having dim sum lunch at either New Asia Garden or Miriwa (both on Pacific).

Go to Fort Point, walk along the pier, browse the stuff at the Warming Hut, watch the people and the fishermen.

You'll need a good windbreaker or an umbrella or both. Have fun! I love SF in the rain! BTW, Saturday seems to be the day when the sun will be shining the most.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: the Metreon - all kinds of games and movies plus high tech gadgets - just the sort of thing boys love.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:09 PM
trippinkpj

I live in San Jose not far from Sunnyvale. San Jose has a nice indoor mall, Valley Fair in case of rain. It's near Santana Row and Winchester Mystery House. Also, Los Gatos and Santa Cruz (Pacific Ave.) are fun towns to walk around. Sunnyvale has Murphy street and Mt. view has Castro street both with good dining. Visit a Sharper Image and get a wind resistant umbrella.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -