Getting a Cab on Broadway in the evening

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2011, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - Can anyone out there advise on travelling back from the Beacon Theatre, Saturday evening after a concert, at around 11:00pm? My queries are: is the subway safe late in the evening, or is a cab a better bet. Incidentally is there an "organised" cab stand outside the theatre, or is it a big rush. I would imagine that as the shows empty there are throngs of people in a similar position. I have not yet made reservations for Hotels, but am leaning towards Jersey City. I have heard that the views of Manhatten are impressive and that prices are good value?
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 12:44 PM

You can expect no problems using the subway at 11:00 p.m.

When you say, "traveling back," where are you going? Jersey City? If so, you'll want to take the 2 train from 72nd and Broadway to 14th Street, then change to the PATH, which will take you to Journal Square in Jersey City.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 01:52 PM

There is no taxi stand and no need for one. It's on a block in an always busy residential neighborhood. No other theaters in the immediate area. Many people getting in cabs in midtown are let out in the neighborhood, so there should always be cabs cruising around. If it's raining--harder to get a cab. Depending on what concert you are seeing, they may be almost no competition for cabs since everyone will be heading towards the subway.

I routinely take the subway from this area at that time of the evening, but what is your destination?
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 02:43 PM

It is hard, bordering on impossible, to get a cab between 4-5 PM during the week. It is rush hour and shift change.
Please note it is spelled Manhattan.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 03:19 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with taking the subway, but I'd look for a hotel option in town (vs Jersey City).
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 04:05 PM

11 pm isn;t late in NYC - there will still be a lot of people on the street and the subway. but you can;t take the subway to Jersey City - it;s in NYC only. You could look into the PATH train once you get to Penn - or downtown link - but I don;t know how often it runs that late.

Getting a cab to Jersey City is problematic. Cabs aren;t required to make trips outside the city - and many won;t. And if they do you have to pay double fare outside the city as well as the tunnel toll. I don't know taxi fare for that route - but I would imagine that it will be in excess of $50 - and the usual tip is 20%.

And there is no organized cab stand - it;s every man for himself. For going to jersey I would count on a long wait to find a willing driver.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 05:32 PM

NYC taxis are under no obligation to take a fare to New Jersey except for Newark Airport. You can make an agreement with the cabbie, however.

There are parts of NYC that do not get going until 11 PM.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 05:58 PM

aduchamp1,
Why mention cab issues between 4-5 PM when OP is asking about 11 PM? Also no need to make a big issue about the spelling of Manhateen!
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 06:07 PM

Dear Deb

I am sorry I offer information on an information board. How rude and thoughtless of me. That tidbit may actually be helpful to someone.

About once a month a poster spells Manhattan wrong. Most adults are confident enough to be corrected. But if I see you that you have spinach on your teeth or egg on your face, I will not mention it to you.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 06:10 PM

Check the rates here -
http://www.hotelbelleclaire.com/

VERY close to your theatre.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 06:25 PM

Or here - and take the subway
http://www.thetravelinnhotel.com/
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 06:29 PM

aduchamp1,
How rude of me to try to make sure a new poster is not offended. Sometimes people that have just started posting can misinterpret things. I have absolutely no problem with being corrected as I'm a spelling and grammar nut. However, many people are challenged in this area and I don't think they should be belittled.

Maybe it's just my problem with the interpretation of your post. If so, I apologize!
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 07:00 PM

Deb-
I am sure you would not mind being called Dub or Dab or even Dib. And of course, you did notice that I wrote, "Please note." But I am happy to know there are defenders and clairvoyants of future visitors to New York who you are assuming need your help and clairvoyance.

As far offering additional information, I have giving and seeking advice on various travel boards for about 15 years.
And people:

1. Don't often frame the questions correctly;
2. Don't ask all the questions they want;
3. Don't know the right questions to ask and probably more importantly;
4. There are many people who do not post but use information that is provided.

And if you think that posting tangential material which is factual and non-judgemental, than the problems does not lie with me.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 10:35 AM

The subways are perfectly safe at night although some people feel more comfortable when on their own using buses or taxis.

Staying anywhere outside Manhattan is going to be cheaper than staying in Manhattan but the compromise is convenience. Taxis are not obligated to go outside city limits (and anywhere in New Jersey is considered outside city limits) and if they do can charge twice the meter for the part of the trip outside city lines. Bottom line, don't even consider staying in New Jersey if you plan on using anything other than public transport (bus or train).

While there are some nice hotels in Jersey City & Hoboken (Hyatt, Westin, W) along with some good views, not all the hotels in those places are near public transport (the ones I listed are) and the transport in New Jersey is not part of the same system so costs extra. Whether it's worth it to you to save the money depends on
>the length of your stay,
>the time you're visiting NYC since hotel prices fluctuate and some times are pricier in Manhattan than others..
>how important nightlife is to you since it may mean making 2 round trips per day from the hotel
>how important being able to pop back to the hotel during the day for dropping packages or taking a rest
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Dear all,
Many, many thanks for these really helpful comments.
I had verified the routing via subway and PATH, but was not aware of the cab situation leaving Manhattan (I will not forget that spelling again!)- this may influence my hotel choice. Reassuring regarding the subway. I also may be being a bit premature as I have not yet secured tickets for the concert(Steely Dan - 13,14,16,17 Sept). Once again thank you all.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 11:37 AM

The Beacon is at 74th and Broadway.

A number of posters have been pleased with a few hotels in that area. Maybe they will jump in and make a few recommendations.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM

Adu-
I think a truce is in order...no sense wasting time as OP could probably care less at this point.

I haven't been on these boards for 15 years like you, but I do try to help when I can. When I first joined this forum I noticed that some fodorites were rather impolite when it was unnecessary.

So like I said before, Peace Man!
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 01:42 PM

No problem.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM

Mid Sept. is indeed a very pricey time in Manhattan for hotels. I think you may shock if you look at prices. This coincides usually with the start of the UN General Assembly and the city is filled to capacity. I'd urge you to book something sooner rather than later (and secure the tickets). Kayak.com quikbook.com hotels.com oyster.com are some good search engines for hotels.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM

I support the spelling correction as if a poster searches for info on "manhatten" she/he will not find anything except her own post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -