Newbie here looking for a DC area hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for families with an INDOOR pool and maybe a kitchetter or microwave/fridge at a price under $200 a night. We will be in DC April 1-17 with forays into other states to see whatever historical things we can see. Also any must sees in surrounding states? I have and 11 and 14 year old. Thanks, Marilyn
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:26 PM

Not too many of the hotels have an indoor pool in DC, I believe one of the Marriotts was one of them. (Might have been the JW Marriott by the White House if I remember.) As far as kitchenettes, there are about 10-12 that do in DC, I believe the Doubletree Suites is one of them. However, you may have a hard time meeting both of your criteria. Your best bet may be to see which hotels offer fridges for a low fee.

As for surrounding states, you can do a search on this board, there's plenty in VA (other than Arlington Cemetary), MD, DE, WV, and other states, depending on how far you want to go. Bear in mind, however, parking at most of the hotels in DC is steep, ($20 a night range).
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:51 PM

Check the Embassy Suites in DC, I know they usually have pools and of course kitchens and big free breakfasts.

I've stayed at the Embassy Suites in Crystal City and Friendship Heights. The former is in a boring area full of offices but has a pool and offered free parking for AAA members when I stayed there. The ES at Friendship Heights is literally on top of a mall and a Metro station, so it's a very handy location even though it's not in the city (I think the hotel taxes are lower than in DC). Not sure about a pool there.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:43 PM

Friends of mine had good luck staying at the Lincoln Suites, 1823 L St., NW, 202/223-4320. There is no pool but they paid only $99 a night (that was a couple of years ago).

I agree with the recommendation of Embassy Suites for families. Both locations are near or at the Metro, so you can take the subway wherever you want to go. The key thing for DC is being near the subway for access. It does not matter how many blocks you are from the Smithsonian so long as you can get there easily. Kids love riding Metro, by the way.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 07:20 AM

The Embassey Suites in Foggy Bottom has an indoor pool.