Two bedroom suites - Washington DC

Jan 4th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Two bedroom suites - Washington DC

I am already starting to plan our next trip and I haven't even went on the first one (I leave the 18th for Disney - yeah!). Me, my husband, and my mom are thinking about a trip to DC. None of us have been. What we would like is a hotel room with two bedrooms so we can be together but not together together. My dad recently passed away and the trip will be hard without my dad as we all used to travel together. My mom doesn't want her own room this time. Can anyone suggest a hotel that has two bedrooms. We had thought of Embassy Suites and they have two rooms but not two bedrooms, but that would put my mom on a sofa bed. Are they horribly uncomfortable? We also had thought of a bed and breakfast - any suggestions? We are going to mainly do museums and monuments. We won't have a car so close to a metro stop is important. Would like to spend ~$300/night but don't know if this is doable for that type of room. We are either going before or after summer - I don't want to go while school is out. More than likely in September. Thanks for all of your help!!! Deb
Jan 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM

I stayed at a Marriott Residence Inn right across from the Pentagon once that had two separate bedrooms. Nice little sitting area and kitchenette between the two. I literally looked out my window at the Pentagon.

I think it was this one: Arllington/Pentagon City, 550 Army Navy Drive
Arlington, Virginia 22202 USA

There are actually several Residence Inns in the DC area..dupont circle, vermont avenue, and capital at least. Perhaps one of them might work?

Metro was very close.
Jan 4th, 2007, 07:22 PM

We stayed at the Embassy Suites at Dupont Circle and found it to be quite comfortable. The "living area" is a nice size, with a pull out couch. Can't say how comfortable it is, as my kids slept on it, but they didn't complain. September would probably be a great time to go, it tends to be over run with kids during the break times. It's not too far from a metro stop, about 4 blocks. I forgot what we paid, but it was well under the $300 price, and we went Easter weekend.
Jan 5th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Toucan2 - that sounds perfect - I will check it out for sure.
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

One more thing - how crazy is Labor Day in DC?
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM

We just returned earlier this week from a New Year's trip to D.C. and stayed at the Embassy Suites at Dupont Circle. Loved the hotel but our 19 yr old daughter had the sofa bed and said it was a bit uncomfortable. Being young and adventurous she was fine with it but I doubt someone older would find it acceptable. If you can find a Residence Inn with a 2 BR unit it would definitely be worth booking.
Jan 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM

tdmort-- Labor Day is pretty quiet in DC. Not as quiet as dead of winter, but the slowest time of the warmer months. It is a good time to look for great rates from downtown hotels.
It is the last weekend of the beach season for locals, the rest of the country seems to be occupied with back-to-school activities, and Congress and convention business haven't returned from their August recess.
Jan 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks samschack! I had suspected as much. I'm looking at the Residence Inn that toucan2 suggested - it looks nice. Now I just have to figure out if we'll go at Labor Day and take advantage of the extra day off of work or go later in September.
Jan 5th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Oops, I sent that too soon. Though tourism is down around Labor Day, all the attractions are still open, and there are a few holiday-specific concerts, etc.
Jan 5th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - is it still too hot and muggy to want to be outdoors?
Jan 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Humid weather usually lingers into September, but the temps will probably be a bit lower than in early August. No promises, though, because weather here is extremely variable.

For example, we had a blast of cold air for a few days in early December but it has been above 60 most days since then.
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

I know what you mean. We've been having a warm spell in Michigan too!

Search this Thread