Search

Hotels in DC area

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in DC area

I have been following several of the DC hotel discussions lately. We are going to DC for the first time, in early June, with our three boys. 'Trying to keep the costs down and can't believe the hotel rates for the week that we are traveling. Has anyone out there stayed in the Virginian Suites? I know it's out a bit, but the rate I got for a one bedroom was great. Too great?? How was the pool? Food? Clean? We will have a rental car as we are flying in to BWI, and may do a bit of exploring outside the City.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:21 PM

Yes, the average rate for a room w/ a double bed in DC is about $350/night. However, you can pay MUCH less with a little effort. Please give some more info and we can really help you find a good match.

What exactly are your dates and your nightly hotel budget?

Were you planning for all five of you to stay in a one BR suite?

How old are your 3 sboys?

The Virginian Suites is a 15 minute walk to the Rosslyn Metro - not a 7 miniute walk as their website suggest. It's an OK backup option if you really can't find an actual Washington, DC hotel that fits your budget (but I bet you can with the help of the almighty Fodorites!).
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:28 PM

DC can be expensive, but there are plenty of places that are available for a reasonable ($75 +/-) amount, especially if you're willing to be outside the city.

I've had really great luck with Priceline (stayed at a very upscale Hilton on the Virginia side - a 20 minute drive to downtown DC - for only $50/night last Fall). The areas available with Priceline are usually very good, most accessible to public transportation.

There are a number of reasonably priced hotels out toward Dulles (not that far from DC center), such as Spring Hill Suites, etc. These may offer a good price, especially with kids.

Driving in DC is insane, but do-able (if you're committed to driving!)

I'm sure others on this site will have lots of suggestions - keep looking!

have a great time.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Okay, here goes. . . We are flying in from the midwest, on the evening of Friday, June 9th, and out on Sunday, the 18th. I have reservations at several "suite" hotels, and tried to get the kind of rates that were mentioned by some of the fodorites, but I'm thinking that rates must go up in June. I am a bit leary about booking a nonrefundable room rate, as I'm not sure exactly how long we want to spend in DC. Thought we may venture down to some history in VA also. The boys are 9, 13, and 15, and their main requirement is that we have a pool for part of our stay. We are fine with a place with two queens and a pull-out sofa bed. With their appetites, an included continental breakfast is a real plus (Do any places include unlimited pizzas or burgers?!). It would also help to have a refridgerator and mic.(to save on food costs), like most of the suites have. I had thought that we would find places (I'm usually a good bargain hunter) in the $150 range, so we were surprised at the rates in DC. I have AAA, as well as a few other discounts. Here is what I've found:

Embassy Suites - Chevy Chase, first night$259 +tx, then $219 after that.
Doubletree Guest Suites - New Hamp. Ave, $219 (full kitchen but no breakfast)
Virginian Suites - Arlingto Blvd., $120 for a one bedroom suite (studio suite $100) (full kitchen, no breakfast)

We think that we will need to rent a car, as it is tough to get there from BWI on the weekends, and at night or early morning. We also see that it may be too long a trek to walk to the station if we are at Virginian Suites, so the car may come in handy. I suppose that we could hold off with the car until we are done in the city. We may also want to visit a few other areas, as we will be there more than a week.

None of us (5) have ever been to the area, so I have appreciated all the info that I have been able to find on Fodors, especially the discussions. Thanks so much for any ideas.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:31 PM

I'll start with the negatives and try to end on a positive note

There is no parking at the Rosslyn Metro - your best bet for an Arlington hotel is to just walk it or find an Arlington hotel that is an easier walk to a Metro station.

If you have to drive to a Metro station, then you're already in trouble (some of the further out stops DO have parking lots or garages (paid ,of course) but they usually fill up by 8am on weekdays.

Swimming pools at DC hotels are about as likely as a swimming pool at a NYC or SF hotel (i.e. RARE). If the pool is a must, you're looking at the suburbs (though exceptions do exist).

Arrgh! I have to run out NOW but promse to come back with some more "positive" advice tomorrow.

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:37 PM

Try the HOmewood Suites. We stayed there last year and loved it for the price!! Husband, myself, two teenage sons. I think it's in the Foggy Bottom section. Nice area of DC, and safe. Lots for the $$. Included breakfast. I think they are owned by Hilton.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:59 PM

"We think that we will need to rent a car, as it is tough to get there from BWI on the weekends, "

It's true that the MARC commuter trains don't run on weekends, but there's a better alternative, which I use even on weekdays: The B30 express bus, which costs just $3 and leaves right from the BWI terminal (no shuttles involved) and goes to the Greenbelt Metro station. You would have to transfer form the green line to the red line if you stayed in Friendship Heights, but that would be my own choice.

If you rent a car at BWI, you'll have to take their shuttle to the car rental offices, which are off-airport, anyway. Might as well get on hte B30 and save a lot of cost and trouble.

The B30 bus runs every 40 minutes, 7 days per week.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:04 PM

Then if you need to rent a car during your stay, or at the end of it, there are plenty of in-town offices for rentals; most of the rental companies have offices and cars at Union Station (on the red line, like the ES in Chevy Chase). I guess my biases are showing, but I've done so many trips to DC; family vacations, college tours with friends, then visiting daughter at college there.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:10 PM

What times do your flights arrive & depart at BWI? If not too early or late, and you're not carrying a lot of luggage you can take the B30 Metrobus between BWI and Greenbelt Metro station (Green Line) - I've done it many times. A car in DC does little good.

Is it the Virginia Suites at (something like) 1501 Arlington Blvd? Looks ok from across the way ... I've stayed at the Quality Inn Iwo Jima several times. The last time I looked at Virginia Suites' website they claimed to have free shuttle to the station and to a local grocery store; maybe it's not offered anymore. BTW, the QI had a pool and free parking my last stay there.

Also look at Embassy Suites Alexandria - it's right across from the King St Metro station. Free breakfast and a weekday "Managers Reception" when we stayed there, but no substantial food, just "munchies"

I think there are some Choice hotels (Quality Inn, Comfort) near stops on the Orange Line in Virginia - most Choice Hotels have free breakfast.

I'll post again when I have some other ideas.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:51 PM

You can also check the crystal city area for hotels, quick metro ride to DC.

For getting around the area once in DC, you can get tour mobile tix for approx. 15 - 20 each. All day on and off and it travles throughout the memorial and monument areas.

Any ideas of what you may go visit? There are many threads that list suggestions.

I moved to the No. Va. area a few years ago - love DC and the area. If you do have a car, you will have more options! Alexandria, Va; a day trip south, maybe to one of the amusement parks - if you want to do an overnight trip, Busch Gardens is pretty cool.

8-)
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:04 PM

Just a couple ideas:

Just visited D.C for week in Dec.05, also spent week last Dec(04).

The hotel thing is tough. Lots of options. The suite idea is good, but sometimes 2 rooms work well also. ((showers, T.V. etc easier with 2 rooms)) Take a look at the Holiday Inn ((old town))Alexandria....480 King St. Indoor pool, laundry facilities on site. Good metro connection.[[good prices on priceline for your time frame based on last year]]

Why BWI????
National (Ronald Reagan International) is in Crystal City...metro available outside the front door. Most convienient to D.C.(IMHO)

Metro vs. Car - or both.
Traffic is not fun - talk to the locals. Metro is so fast and easy. And if you want to do some day trips rent a car for a day or two. You can pick one up off airport, or at the airport(i.e National in Crystal City)
Might mention....eating and drinking on the Metro is prohibited...very clean.

If you are going to do the sights at the Mall...memorials and museums...your car will be parked all day anyway. ((just a thought!!!)

Hotel by Metro (walking distance). I think that is important.[[Most hotels in Crystal run shuttles to airport and nearest Metro station on regular basis.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Wow! My kids are very impressed. All of you are so helpful. I have taken some of the advice and looked into the bus/train idea. Luckily, I think I can change our tickets into BWI to an earlier flight without cost. Then the Bus to the Metro is an option. Would not book in to BWI again, but it was the cheapest at the time, and I didn't know any better. Oh well.

Looked in to some of the hotel suggestions and found the Homewood Suites to be a good deal, but the one in DC is full. Added the Homewood in Alexandria to my list, but it seems to be quite a bit further away.

Good to know that there are rental cars available in many places. 'From the midwest 'ya know, and we usually only have them available at the airports. Good tip.

The Bush gardens idea sounds good also. We've hit the one in Tampa a few times and always had a good time.

I will continue on my quest, although work may get in the way for the next few days. Thanks everyone.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone else stayed at the Virginian Suites at 1500 Arlington Blvd? The rate is still great ($125/nt), but the walk, on the weekends, and in the evening, does seem a bit much. They run a shuttle weekdays during rush hour. 'Can't get a straight answer out of them. It seems it is anywhere from 7 minutes to 15 or so. Is this a safe area to walk at night?
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:34 PM

I think the Virginia Suites is in an odd location. It's perfectly safe, but not really close to the Metro, it would seem.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:42 PM

Like rb above, I have stayed at the Quality Inn Iwo Jima across from the Virginian Suites. I wouldn't worry much about the walk from a crime angle, most people would regard this as a safer neighborhood, particularly for as large a group as you will be moving in. And the walk isn't that terrible for a physically vigorous group like it sounds yours is. You'll be doing a lot of walking touring DC, and this walk won't add so much percentagewise.

By all means, check out the Quality Inn Iwo Jima if you haven't already (ask for a room in the newer building), as well as the Holiday Inn Key Bridge and the Best Western Key Bridge, which are much closer to the Rosslyn Metro and which I believe have pools.

As fast as the Metro is, I would'nt hesitate to look deeper into Virginia for hotels which run shuttles to Metro stations like Ballston and Courthouse (these would be listed under Arlington) or West Falls Church or Vienna (these would be listed under Falls Church, Tysons Corner, Vienna, McLean, or Fairfax, Va.)

Someone else I remember who was looking here at Fodors ended up at the Doubletree Club in Largo, Md., and was very impressed with the hotels willingness to shuttle them back and forth to Metro (New Carrolton station) whenever they needed.

Also be aware that especially in the suburbs, the hotels are more business traveler than tourist oriented, so availability and rates may change radically in your favor for weekend dates.

I also think you may wish to rethink your reluctance to use Priceline or Hotwire. There are often amazing bargains to be had. Check out the DC and Virginia suburbs listings (in separate places) on Betterbidding.com for some of them that people have gotten, as well as good instructions for the best tactics to use on these sites.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 04:06 AM

fruglfamlytravlr,

Back with some positive info:

Here is a moderately priced small DC hotel with each room in a different configuation. Look all throughout the website and call them and they will find somthing that works for the 5 of you.

Hotel guests get free passes to the state of the art YMCA around the corner (w/ full sized swimming pool and every type of exercise equipment imaginable).

The Dupont Circle Metro station is a few blocks away and the eating options in the neighborhood are infinate w/ all price ranges represented.

The hotel's restaurant is great, but pricy especially by midwestern standards. You may want to send your kids down the block for fast food one night and enjoy it w/ your husband.

There are some different car rental agencies within a few blocks of the hotel.

http://www.tabardinn.com
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:54 PM

I have not stayed at the Virginian Suites, but did stay at the Quality Inn Iwo Jima in September. If the Virginian is close by it shouldn't be any problem to walk to the Rosslyn Metro station. We also flew into BWI and rented a car because we were going other places. If you stay in this area it would be good to have a car to drive into downtown Arlington. There aren't many places to eat in this area. The Quality Inn offers free parking, which is a big plus if you have a car in DC. The rooms in the new section were very nice for the price - I booked a double for $75. I booked early for $89 and kept checking back to the Choice Hotels website and found a lower rate and cancelled my first reservation. While most Quality Inns have a continental breakfast, this one did not. This Quality Inn has a pool that looked okay, although we did not use it.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:32 PM

One "plus" to renting two rooms is two bathrooms (seldom available in suites) and 2 televisions (which suites probably will have as well).

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:30 AM

If the only reason you wanted a car was to get from BWI, there are alternatives mentioned on the BWI website. There is that blue shuttle van service from BWI that will take you to DC hotels, I'd use that rather than bus/metro. I think they are going to shut down that bus line, at least it's on the list to be.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

We are going to skip the car until later in the trip. Will try to take the bus from BWI to the metro. I have looked in to most of the hotels and Inns mentioned, and decided to stay a bit outside the city. Quality Inn Iwo Jima had no openings for our crew. The ones in Foggy Bottom and Georgetown were either booked for the size room that we'd need, or more than I thought I'd have to pay. We got an excellent deal at the Residence by Marriott, Arlington, at Pentagon City. It is about a half block to the station, and the kids are fed a hot breakfast free, all week (They haven't seen my boys eat!). There is an indoor pool and a full kitchen. I think this looks like a pretty safe area, and though there probably isn't much atmosphere around, we can always check other things out on the Metro.

Thanks, everyone for all of the help. I won't book without consulting Fodor's experts in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -