DC/ARLINGTON HOTEL

Jan 16th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

DC/ARLINGTON HOTEL

Planning a family trip to the area the last week of June. 2 kids, ages 11 and 14. Looking for an all suite or affordable (Days Inn, Red Roof etc.) 2 room hotel.

Would like to be no less than 1 block from a Metro station. Hotel must have a swimming pool, be 3 or more star, continental breakfast would be a bonus, be in a safe area for walking at night, close to or onsite dining.

Sites we will see will be the Smithsonians, Holocaust Museum, Jefferson & Lincoln Memorials, Arlington Cemetary, and maybe the Spy Museum.

Planning on driving down from west of Boston on a Saturday morning and start the touring Sunday, leaving for Virginia Wednesday. Once in Virginia, we would like to go to Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. Then to Annapolis for a night.

Feasible? Too much? Any input is most appreciated.
Jan 16th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Have you looked through past posts about DC hotels? There have been lots of discussions and reports about family acommodations.

Not many hotels in DC have pools, especially budget suite places; you're really limiting yourself by requiring this feature. Also, I'm confused by your ratings requirements; although there's no national star system, most folks wouldn't consider Days Inn and Red Roof to be 3-star.

Finally, I assume you meant to say no *more* than 1 block from the Metro.
Jan 16th, 2006, 06:50 AM

How much time have you allotted for the W'burg/Busch/Annapolis parts of the trip? Hard to tell whether the outing it "too much" without a time frame. If you have enough time, this is a good itinerary. When we went to Williamsburg, the kids really enjoyed Jamestown.
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Sorry, but I think you're asking for too much, and will have to set some priorities.
Price?
Pool?
Breakfast?
Metro?
Safe Walking @night?
I can think of all kinds of hotels that have SOME of what you desire, but not ALL of them. Embassy Suites - maybe the Alexandria location - might be your best bet.
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse.

Jan 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM

DO NOT STAY IN ANY Days Inn or RED ROOFs that are actually in DC! They are in unsafe areas! There are a few Cheaper type hotels like this in the Courthouse area(Arlington VA) that is a good location and close to a metro. WIlliamsburg/Bush garden area will be about 2.5-3 hours from Metro DC area. If traffic is good. Williamsburg back up to Annapolis will be about 4 hours.
Jan 19th, 2006, 11:03 AM

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in DC and were happy with it, has all your requests, but don't know how far it was to metro, as we didn't use it, we would stay there again.
Jan 19th, 2006, 11:30 AM

There are two Embassy Suites that might work - one near Dupont Circle on 22nd and one that is brand new near the Convention Center. You might also want to check the Homewood Suites.

You could also look on tripadvisor.com for some reviews.

Good luck!
Jan 19th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Actually, there is a Days Inn on Connecticut Avenue that is in a perfectly safe neighborhood and the Red Roof Inn near Chinatown is also perfectly safe.
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:00 PM

Look into the Embassy Suites at Chevy Chase Pavilion. Even though it typically seems to cost more than the other ES in the area, it's current rates are less than the others!?! It is literally on top of a metro station -- take the hotel elevator down to the station. It is part of a mall, so there are plenty of restaurants available. It has hot breakfasts and an indoor pool.
Feb 8th, 2006, 09:08 AM

sherry,

I strongly agree w/ MikeT. In fact, I would suggest you first look at Red Roof Inn, Chinatown. It's in a very safe area with lots of restaurants (in all cuisines and price ranges). It's also a block to Metro and an easy walk to the museums, etc.

It's an especially appropriate choice for the budget traveller (it's about $125/night) not used to DC hotels prices (where a typical room w/ double bed at an average "Holiday Inn" type place usually goes for $350/night or so).
Feb 8th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Now if you want to talk about BAD locations, let me tell you about the Best Western Capitol Skyline or those horrendous budget motels on NY Ave, NE or Bladensburg Rd. NE......
Feb 8th, 2006, 12:11 PM

The Embassy Suites on 22nd Street is perhaps two blocks from the Metro (Foggy Bottom) and is a totally safe neighborhood but I am not sure it has a pool.

Really too bad you couldn;t stay at the Marriott or one of the other similar places in Rosslyn because those probably have everything you want but you'd have to get two rooms.
Feb 8th, 2006, 01:05 PM

you might check the Holiday Inn in Rosslyn - it's more expensive than Red Roof but does have indoor pool, free parking, and is one short block from the metro. It's in a safe area and you can walk across the bridge to Georgetown. When we were there we got free breakfast just by joining their Priority Club.
Feb 10th, 2006, 06:33 AM

Tracey2Center: I'm also planning a trip to DC in April. Have a reservation at Hilton Garden Inn in Arlington. Assume since you recommended it you were pleased with the hotel. Was it convenient to get in/out of DC? Any restaurant recommendations near the hotel? What's the area surrounding the hotel like? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.