Los Angeles downtown dining

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying at the Westin Bonaventure for a conference next week and am looking for a good Mexican, Italian, Seafood, and Steakhouse restaurants nearby. Preferrably in walking distance. Two choices of each would be great and moderate to expensive in range. Thanks Julie
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Water Grill is always rated as one of the best seafood restaurants in LA. Dined there two years ago,it was great. Easy, safe walk from the Bonaventure.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Though not what you were looking for, we really like Ciudad (Cuban/Latin cuisine), also near where you are staying.
For Mexican, consider going to Olvera Street. Lots of choices there. I'm sure others can give you some specific choices.
There is also a McCormick and Shmicks downtown, pretty much what you would expect. I prefer The Water Grill.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:18 PM

Second the rec for Water Grill for seafood.

For Mexican, Grand Central Market is closer to you than Olvera Street. Lots of mom-and-pop stands making great tacos, huge burritos, etc for cheap.

For steak, there's Nick & Stef's, or The Palm. Haven't been to either so I can't comment on the food, but I know they're near you.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 09:20 PM

If it's within your budget, the famous Morton's Steakhouse has a location about 2-3 blocks away. There's also a CPK there.
Agree that Grand Central Market is great, but it's only open during the day.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 10:17 PM

I also recommend the Water Grill. Enjoy!!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

What about La Serenata de Garibaldi for Mexican? Anyone have the chance to eat there? And is it close to the Bonaventure?
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:10 AM

La Serenata de Garibaldi is great. It's in East LA, about 3 miles from where you'll be.

You've gotten some good recommendations for downtown; frankly, the best-known areas for high-end eating are outside downtown. However, places like Patina (Disney Hall), Cicada (Olive between 6th and 7th), Zucca (801 Tower) and Noé (Omni Hotel) aren't too far and are quite good.

Water Grill is tops for seafood (run by a company that also runs Ocean Ave. Seafood in Santa Monica, 555 East and King's in Long Beach, etc.). Ciudad is fun for tapas and theme drinks (mojitos). Steak? Pacific Dining Car is a 24/7 institution for fine food.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Hop the metro subway up to Hollywood and Highland Mall, shop/browse and see the Kodak Theatre where the Oscars are held. Eat at Wolfgang Puck's VERT. Or continue 5 more minutes on the metro up to Universal Studios Citywalk where there are lots of dining options and a fun atmosphere. We like the Daily Grill.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:34 AM

The following Patina Group restaurants, are downtown and near the Bonaventure: at the Disney Concert Hall, Patina and Kendall's Brasserie;

in the Well's Fargo Building (upstairs), Nick & Stef's (specializing in red meat)and downstairs, Pentolino;

At the Library, Cafe Pinot; and

Zucca for Italian but at 8th and Fig, but that's a bit far. Ciao Trattoria is another choice. You could catch a Dash bus.

Ciudad is right across the street, it's pan-latin, not really Mexican. There's is also a good fast serve healthy Mexican restaurant on the same floor. And if you are adventurous, go over to Olvera Street for the real stuff.

There is a Daily Grill downtown, and it's fine, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

PS my favorite eatery in the Bonaventure is the Olive Branch, for lebanese pizza and salad.

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:40 AM

I'm sorry I meant Grand Central Market for Mexican! The food at Olvera street is fine, but Grand Central is closer.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies, so far I have made reservations at La Serenta de Girabaldi and Ciao Trattoria. Thanks again
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 06:42 AM

I love the Water Grill. One of my favorite restaurants is Le Serenata de Garabaldi. You will love it. Another interesting restaurant downtown is Roys. It's Asian fusion/Hawaiian. Had a very good meal there recently. They have a great bento dessert tray. You could always have breakfast/dinner at that LA landmark "The Pantry" -- it's inexpensive, lots of food but there's always a line. Have fun.