Search

New York - first time - Where to Stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York - first time - Where to Stay?

Hi,

I'm re-posting this with New York in the title. I am finally getting there! Need to find somewhere to stay that won't break the bank. Wouldn't mind bidding with Priceline, or one of those sites, but I haven't a clue which area to stay in. Should I wait until just before I go to book or can I book already?

I'll be on my own, so need somewhere very safe. I'll be doing the usual tourist things. Any idea's? I'll be there just before Easter and would like to spend less than $200 a night on my hotel.

Thanks, Laura

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 07:10 AM

I'd suggest staying in midtown Manhattan, east of 6th Avenue. Many, many options.

(Invariably, when visitors complain that NYC is loud/dirty/crowded, they stay in Times Square/Theater District, so I warn people away from that area. New Yorkers avoid it like the plague anyway.)

Try Pricline.

Good luck!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM

I would try to book a refundable hotel room now (you can always cancel it.) I love the Upper West Side area but you might want to be more centrally located. I've heard good things about the Belvedere which is near Times Square but on a quieter street.

You might want to repost your question (I know, again!) with something like: "First time - female travelling alone to New York - where to stay?" to get some good responses from other women travellers who have gone there solo. I did a quick search here but didn't find much.

Hope this helps. I know you'll have a great trip!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:51 PM

I stay at the Belvedere quite often and like it but the week before Easter their rate is $264. Can't believe how much it's gone up although I have rooms booked there for the last week of March for $169. I did book those before Christmas.

Hotel rooms in NYC are very high and Easter is a popular time to visit, so I would book something now that you can cancel if you get a good deal on Priceline. The Milburn on the Upper West Side is listed on Expedia for $179. That is a nice neighborhood. Check their website for a cancelable rate.

In Midtown, the Super 8 is $169 and the Red Roof Inn is $159 both through Hotels.com. Again, check the hotels' own websites. Super 8 gets great reviews on tripadvisor. I actually like the Times Square area but this is because I see lots of shows when I am in New York. I also usually stay at the Belvedere which is on a quiet street. Just remember that tax in NYC is high so adding tax to any of these rooms will push them close to or over $200. I think I would book something quickly given the current hotel room prices.

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:22 PM

If you click on your name you can pull up your previous thread - which already has a bunch of answers.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

I booked at the Holiday Inn Express on 5th. Av. and 13 WEST 45TH STREET. Is this a good location? The rate is just under $160 a night.

Thanks, Laura
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 09:20 AM

Laura:

Not only did you get a good rate for this time of year but you will be centrally located to travel North or
South East or West

You are within walking distance of the theatre area which is good for
night travel & Grand Central Station too.

If you are not familiar w/the city I
would suggest you going on-line
to see what the Convention Bureau
has slated for the time you will be
visiting.
Anything else we NY'ers can answer?
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:37 PM

I am going for my first time as well from 4/11 - 4/15 and got a $218 rate at RIHGA Royal (thanks to the now-banned g'lou). Seems like a good deal even though there is remodeling going on.

-Bill
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:54 PM

Gekko nailed it. Anytime you are going to Manhattan, look at East Midtown. Find the best rate you can in that part of town, and at least you will be in a good location.

My personal favorites are the Sheraton Russell, Roger Smith, and the Waldorf if I can catch it on a discount.