Roger Williams Hotel New York, any advice??

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:41 AM
dom
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roger Williams Hotel New York, any advice??

Does anyone have any comments, good or bad regarding this hotel. I am planning to visit New York from the UK in December with my girlfriend, we are both in our mid 20's. It will be my first time to the city. I have seen this hotel for approx $209 per night. Do you think I would like this hotel?
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:51 AM

Try doing a search on that hotel name, there has probably been other postings regarding this hotel. I would also consider trying to get a hotel through priceline, I know many pweople have recently booked 4 star hotels for under one-hunderd dollars per night.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 09:04 AM

dom:
I have stayed at the Rodger Williams numerous times. I had a corporate rate of $175/night. It is a nice property with plenty of Europeans. Nice location on Madison and 30th. Rooms are small but stylish.
If you want a bargain for a hotel that is in the same area, try the "Red Roof Inn" on 32nd street. You can get a room for $99-$169 if you ask! NOt as nice as the RW but a clean property! Put the extra money to a good meal at Gramercy Tavern!!!

John
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Rob

If I were in my 20-'s I would want to be in a more lively location. 30th and Madison is "dead" after the work day ends since it is mainly a commercial area. Why not the TImes Square area? A reasonable hotel, that constantly receives favorable reviews is the Edison on W. 47th Street.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 09:10 PM

Please, no Times Square. It's not at all what New York City is like. Anywhere but Times Square. And the last place people in the mid-20's should want to hang out is that area -- nothing could be less hip. Tourist hell.

Madison at 30th is actually a great location, near the Flatiron area (cool restaurants and bars) as well as Union Square.

Good luck, Enjoy NYC and please, for all of us New Yorkers' sake, visit Times Square for a moment but certainly don't stay there.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 07:55 AM
dom
Original Poster

thanks for your responses regarding advice on where to stay. I will certianly take on board your comments regarding times square.

Has any one else had much experience of price line, with respect to booking hotels. If I was going to select a 4* room for december what would be a reasonable price to bid at??
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:05 AM

Last December I got a 4* hotel in Midtown West for $85 a night plus tax on priceline.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:16 AM

If you're willing to pay $200/night you can do much better than the Roger Williams. For info on bidding on Priceline go to biddingfortravel.com They have a list of the hotels available in each area of the city. There are also posts on what other people have successfully bid. They will even help you construct a bid.

If you don't want to try bidding, go to quikbooks.com & check prices there. What do you guys want to do? The areas of Union Square, Chelsea, Soho, Tribeca are trendier, younger areas for eating, shopping. I agree with Rob that 30th & Madison is a bit quiet but just over a block on Park Avenue & due south in the teens & 20's are tons of trendy restaurants. There are some other hotels in the 20's thta you might prefer. I think the Park South has gotten good reviews here. It depends on what's important to you.

The upper west side is also a nice, more residential neighborhood with good restaurants & shops. The hotels there-the Beacon, On the Avenue, the Lucerne and the Excelsior are all good. The Excelsior is right across from the Museum of Natural history. If you do a text search here for upper west side you'll find a string about these hotels. Have fun!