Taking my daughter to NYC

Apr 5th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Taking my daughter to NYC

I am thinking of taking my daughter to NYC for a few days in June after she graduates from high school? (We are in GA) I have never been there and need advice on what to see, what part of town to stay, and an idea of costs before I get her hopes up. It would be for 3-4 days during the week. Any help for me? Thanks
Apr 5th, 2006, 03:47 PM

SEarch the board for info, since there are SO MANY posts with just this information.

As for hotels, try www.hotels.com or any of the websites for hotel reservations so you get an idea of the rates for your dates of travel.

Get a book about NYC for your daughter so she can read up on the city and choose what she would like to see.

Also try some of the websites for tourists like www.nyctourist.com

Have a great time.
Apr 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM

I just did this with mine. We go once or twice a year. She is a senior in college so likely this was the last trip for awhile. We have a great time, each time. You're going to have to be more specific about what sort of things she likes. I know we go mostly for theatre (that is her major) and she does some shopping (although on a college kid budget, so not a lot of shopping!). We also do alot of walking through various neighborhoods - this time spent time in Tribeca and Soho just strolling, lunching and people watching.

Since we go so often, we are always hoping to do it inexpensively, but we don't scrimp either. Just had a great stay at the Grand Hyatt New York which I got on Priceline for $150/night. Not sure why, but the reviews are mixed. We loved the place. We get around mostly by bus and subway, never a problem and very easy.

After about 8 trips now, we've seen nearly everything but never tire of going because there is always MORE to see ...

Midtown is the easiest because is centrally located. Personally, we avoid Times Square but she'll probably want to see it, at least once. Busy, congested, Disneyland-like. Not what we think of when we think of New York. There are beautiful neighborhoods all around the city and they are fun to find and explore.

Good luck
Apr 5th, 2006, 05:09 PM

If your plan is to economize, recommend booking the Travel Inn forthwith, then keep shopping if you like.

Note that mid-week rates are always higher than weekend rates...
Apr 5th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Hotel prices can be outrageous unless you really shop around. Priceline is one idea and good for a shorter stay like yours, but you're not guaranteed a room with 2 beds if that matters to you. I've also noticed there's a very good American Express promotion at the Millenium UN Plaza, a very nice hotel that's a bit further from a subway than some, so better value. Go to their website. quikbook.com is another great booking site for NYC. Bottom line, a room will be a minimum of $150+ unless you get a "deal" on Priceline.

Most people like to stay in midtown (east of west). Mill. UN is midtown east. Times Square is midtown west. Food can be inexpensive (although maybe not relative to Ga.). Broadway shows are $50-100+/ticket. If you want to try to find an air/hotel package, site59.com has been mentioned here.
Apr 5th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Forgot to mention - the Belvedere at 48th and 8th has been a favorite of ours. In the theatre district and can get some good deals there if you watch the website or express-res.com.