Search

First visit to New York HELP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 12:19 AM
dawn

First visit to New York HELP

Author: dawn ([email protected])
Date: 04/27/2002, 12:17 pm
Message: Two families from wales visiting New York for first time, where is best place 2 stay? Looking at Park Central, Belvedere & the Newton, can anyone help? Also what site to look on for best deals? Any tips of this trip would be great. Thanks.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 03:58 AM
RQF

Park Central and Belvedere are both in midtown, near Times Square and the theater district. Within walking distance of many attractions. Park Central is at 55th and 7th Avenue, the Belvedere on 49th St just west of 8th Avenue. The Newton is on the upper west side on Broadway near 94th Street. I live one block away and this area is mainly a residential but there are many restaurants in the area and the subway is less than a block area. Subway ride to Times Square takes 10 minutes or less. I have no personal knowledge of these hotels but I have read a number of favorable comments about the Belvedere on this forum. Recent comments about the Park Central have been favorable especially sine the place was renovated. The Newton is a smaller hotel and I don't recall reading anything about this hotel on this forum. The hotel) doesn't have much of a lobby and it doesn't look impressive from the outside. Suggest you do a search on these hotels on this forum and at goggle.com.
Indicate your interests and suggestions can be made as to how to organize your activities and how to get around the city.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Alan

Hi, Dawn!

It is now four months since I was in New York on a family holiday from Australia, so I realise that in that time hotel prices have gone back up to the levels of the "pre-September 11 days"... but I will just mention, for what it is worth, that the Madison, on 27th and Madison Ave, had family rooms then for $88 per night, an almost-unbelieveable bargain... they even included breakfast!

But my main reason for posting to you is to earnestly recommend a service called Big Apple Greeters. This organisation provides volunteers who will meet people like us and spend a half-day taking us anywhere we choose in the five boroughs. If you don't know what you want to see, you can leave the choice to them and just tell them about your interests so they will assign a person who is a good "match". Our Greeter (Ellen from Brooklyn... she's worth asking for) met us at the hotel, took us to look at some of the older buildings in Manhattan (such as the Woolworth Tower), taught us how to use the subway and get the best value, and then walked us across the Brooklyn Bridge to the best cheescake shop in New York. I don't think we had a better day in our whole five-week holiday. The service is quite free. You can contact them on www.bigapplegreeter.org/
Let these people plan your first day for you and you will feel that New York is your home!

P.S. I would give almost anything to be you and have the trip ahead of me again. New York is one of the great cities of the world. Don't believe ANY of the "negatives" you hear about danger at every step or rude, unfriendly people. Our experience was that it's as safe as anywhere else (safer than most), and the people are wonderful!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Sue

I just got back from NYC a few days ago. Stayed at The Belvedere. Got it for $155 (there were 4 of us) from Quickbook.com.

Nice hotel. Rooms a little small but a great location. 2 blocks from Broadway and easy to get to everything.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Karen

Dawn I do not know what your budget is but let me throw in my personal favorite. Check out http://www.habitatny.com. It is a European style Hotel. It is located at 130 W. 57th between Park and Lexington. Personally I prefer this location as it is a nicer part of town. You are also convenient to excellent shopping and museums. Since you are visiting from the UK your money will go further here. This place is clean, cheap and centrally located.
Only a couple of blocks away is the Four Seasons perhaps one of the most expensive hotels in NYC.
Have a great time in NYC and welcome to the US!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 11:07 PM
tt

Topping for Dawn!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:38 AM
tt

nm

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Paige

Dawn, I visited NYC back in March with my two daughters and we stayed at the Park Central Hotel. It was a good location for us, completely safe, and the room was clean and quiet. I think our rate was around $160.00 with 3 of us in the room. There are several great casual restaurants within a block or two - breakfast at the Park Cafe is great, and you are a 10-minute walk from Times Square. Several delis and a couple of really good bakeries across the street. Very nice people, too. You'll have a great trip.

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:48 PM
Dawn

Thank you all for your help. We still haven't booked our hotel yet as it gets more confusing trying to get the best deals. We will find somewhere soon though.
Please keep on adding any tips & info