Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

staying in miami beach for weekend - don't want to rent a car - mainly just want to stay on beach and walk around a little bit - can I do it?

staying in miami beach for weekend - don't want to rent a car - mainly just want to stay on beach and walk around a little bit - can I do it?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:26 PM
hts

Hi - I've just finished reading the message boards about Miami Beach and the South Beach (I Know - part of Miami Beach). I am going for the weekend, mainly to relax, sit on the beach, and have a pina colada or two. I would like to be able to walk around and see some sights - maybe go out for lunch or an early dinner - am staying at the Deauville 6701 Collihns Ave. Will I be able to do this - or will I be isolated? Is there a way I can have an afternoon in the South Beach area by way of foot, bus, or reasonable - not $80 cab ride? Thanks

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 03:00 PM
hmmmmm

Sure you can. Or you can take a taxi to Coconut Grove for shops, bars and resteraunts and the same can be found at CityWalk.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Carol

The buses are fine in the daytime. I didn't try them at night. There are plenty of routes up and down the main streets. You could call the hotel to ask.

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:03 PM
hts

thanks - I feel better

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:01 PM
Will

There is a bus called the Electrowave that is run by the City of Miami Beach. It runs up and down Washington Av til late at night. There are many, many bus routes to downtown from South Beach and you can connect there with the Metrorail and Metromover. Do not go north on the Metrorail. It is not safe. Your hotel is at 6701 Collins so you are up near 67th St. That is quite a ways from South Beach and it is mostly a residential area. It is very close to North Bay Village. Lots of retirees. If possible, I would try to stay further south. You are over 5 miles away from South Beach and the tourist area. This is about $20 cab ride or possibly alot more. A1A is undergoing tons of construction in that area and traffic can cause delays heading south. Also,the Electrowave does not run that far north.