Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

URGENT new york, which neighborhood to stay in

Mar 19th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

hi, I've got friends visiting new york for the first time in New york, (i've never been) and they're a bit wary of getting the subway at night and so want to stay in an area where they'll be able to go out on foot to wander, eat in restaurants, bars etc, they're a couple aged 40-45 and a 13 year old boy, wanting to see the sites. Whats a good suggestion for a safe, reasonable area and any suggestion of hotel? hey just want someone clean, not shared bathroom, good location and safe, and with lots to see and do nearby at night, no probs getting transport by day. I've tried to tell them it's ok to use subway but they prefer to do at night as least as poss. Many thanks
Mar 19th, 2008, 08:47 AM

I'll beat others to it...

What is their budget per night?

Mar 19th, 2008, 08:48 AM

After one day they will see that David Letterman is wrong about crime in NYC. They will also have a narrow opinion of NYC if they stay in one neighborhood. So tell THEM to pick am area since any one will fulfill their requirements.

By the way, I almost did not open the topic, when you said urgent, it was like cheesy junk mail.
Mar 19th, 2008, 09:48 AM

I'd suggest Times Square. There are plenty of bars, restaurants, Broadway shows, etc. in that area, plus they can walk to museums and to Central Park. As for getting to lower Manhattan w/o using the subway, they could do the Grayline Bus hop-on-hop-off tour.

Good luck

Mar 19th, 2008, 09:51 AM

Anywhere but Times Square.

Invariably, when visitors say New York is dirty, crowded and loud, they stayed in Times Square.

New Yorkers avoid that area like the plague and, with the exception of seeing shows, never go there.

And, yes, their budget is dispositive.
Mar 19th, 2008, 09:58 AM

I would say stay in a B and B in the Upper West side. We always stay at Jack and Judy's on West 81st between Amsterdam and Columbus. Great safe neighborhood with many stores and restaurants, diners, delis etc.
Mar 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM

Most areas where there are decent hotels are perfectly fine neighborhoods. No one neighborhood is near everything and most are near something. Subways are perfectly fine in the evening but there are always cabs if you aren't comfortbale with subways.

I'm not a fan of TImes Square either. It's noisy and congested with lots of over priced chain restaurants.
Mar 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM

www.belleclairehotel.com

My friends stayed here a couple of weeks ago and loved it. It's a great location (Broadway & 77th), nice neighbourhood, near Central Park, good rates. The hotel looks lovely on the website and I believe they have some sort of breakfast plan, if you need it.
Mar 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Just a couple of points:

NYC is the safest large city in the country

Any area the average tourist will visit is safe

No matter where they stay they wil have to take the subway to see most sights - since they're spread out over most of Mnahattan - or at least the southern 8 miles - and islands in the harbor

Agree NOT to stay in Times Square which is loud, garish, tacky and full of many very expensive but poor quality tourist trap restaurants (among some good ones)

You haven;t said when they're coming (dates will control hotel prices) or what their budget is. Without that it's practically impossible to give specific info.

I would tend to reco the upper west side since it's near some of the things you wil definitely want to do with a 13 year old (Museum Nat'l Hist, the Met, Central Park) and has a bunch of inexpensive/moderate but goo neighborhood restaurants (it's a mid/upscale residential area.

But - you must give us budget info and dates.
Mar 19th, 2008, 11:59 AM

I agree with the suggestions of the Upper West Side. Close to Central Park and the Museum of Natural History which the teenager would probably especially enjoy.

But just a straight shot down Broadway to Times Square on the bus if you can't convince them to take the subway.

I've stayed at the On the Ave Hotel on Broadway and 77th a couple times and have liked it. It's gotten pretty expensive like most NYC hotels though.

http://www.ontheave.com/main.htm

On my last couple trips to NYC I've used quikbook.com and have found that their rates were better than what I could get through the hotels directly or through sites like Expedia.
Mar 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I'd stay near not Times Square, but not necessarily in it.

I'd suggest the Casablanca Hotel, or the Blakely. If they don't mind the mob scene that is Times Square, the Doubletree there has nice big suites - good for with teenagers.
Mar 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM

^ Sorry, that should read "I'd stay near, not in, Times Square."
Mar 19th, 2008, 03:01 PM

I'd second the On The Avenue comment. Nice hotel and a great neighbourhood; pretty residential but buzzing with shops, bars and restaurants. For a first trip, though, I'd think about Upper East Midtown. Quiet, safe, but just a couple of blocks from the action.
Mar 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM

I agree with Graham about upper midtown east -- we stayed around 50th and Lexington and the location was perfect for my husband's first trip to NYC -- we were easily able to walk to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, the UN, Grand Central, etc. Area felt very safe; there were people about at all hours of the day and night.
Mar 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

wow, thanks everyone for your replies, they will be travelling from 20-26th july, which is why want to book soon, and want to spend around 200 - 300 US$ per night max, hope this helps
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

hiya, they mentioned this hotel:
HAMPTON INN MANHATTAN MADISON SQUARE GARDEN AREA. 116 west 31 st street.
what is this area like? I think too quiet, and near the station - is this good or bad, in London it would be bad, and here in Brasil too.
Thanks for your help !! You're great !!
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:34 PM

That area, around MSG, is awful.

If you can stay just about anywhere else, do.

Mar 20th, 2008, 03:33 AM

Time Square?? If Yogi Berra ever went to Times Square he would say " Nobody ever goes there....it is too crowded"!!

If there was ever and ADULT DISNEYLAND they would name it "Times Square"!

Times Square is just not what NYC is all about...........but for first timers you should at least stroll thru it, but just be prepared for crowds of tourist. It is NYC version of Bourbon Street (minus the beads)!!
Mar 20th, 2008, 06:38 AM

Absolutely, tourists should make a quick stop in Times Square. Many see it on the way to/from shows.

Just don't stay there.

Mar 20th, 2008, 06:51 AM

If there was ever an adult Disneyworld, it would be called Las Vegas. Times Square is adult purgatory.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO