Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need help with theater tickets in New York.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have checked various sites looking for discounted tickets for RENT. ( thanks, Mclaurie). On Playbill I can't find anything on RENT. On theatermania and on broadwaybox, they do have discounts, but they expire in March. How likely would it be that they will issue new codes for April?

Also, I'm a bit ( a lot) confused as to how it works. If I do manage to get a discount code for RENT for April 9, then how do I go about getting the tickets? I'm not sure how it works if these sites only provide the code.

Help!!!!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM

There is a chance that there'll be a new discount offer once the current ones expire. Obviously, you'll have to wait for at least 10-12 days.
Keep in mind, however, that April 9 begins the Easter holiday season, so who knows what the discount offers for that period will be.
As for getting tickets with an offer, just follow the instructions with the offer. You'll have three choices:
1. Call the number listed and give the discount code for the offer.
2. Log onto the website listed and give the discount code for the offer.
3. Run off a copy of the offer and bring it to the box office when you get to New York.
For the first two options, you'll pay a $5-7 wervice charge per ticket. No service charge for option #3.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Some of the ticketing sites now have an e-ticket option. I haven't used it, but a couple of people in front me in line did yesterday. Worked without a hitch - scanned with a handheld barcode reader and in they went.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I guess I didn't read far enough on the sites. I just saw the part where it said it was not a ticketing site, and only gave out the codes.
An e ticket would be great. Good to know that.
We'll wait a couple of weeks and see if new discounts appear.
I understand ( and am hoping) that RENT won't be sold out.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:04 AM

As it says on the Broadwaybox page for Rent, "iscount Offers are often extended beyond their original expiration date. Give them a try. They may still be valid." I would invest the time to try buying tickets for your date using some of the current codes listed. There's one code for Rent that doesn't expire til May but you were supposed to buy the tickets by a date in Jan. I would write down (or print out) all the codes listed on broadwaybox. I would then print out a copy of the seating chart for the theater. I would then PHONE the number given and speak to a live person and try giving them each of the codes and see if any work. Some won't be good for a Sat. night or Wed. matinee. Just read what the rules for each are.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Mclaurie, thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed answer. I will make this my project tomorrow night and I'm confident I'll do ok.
I've been so lucky with the hotel, I have a good feeling about this too.
Thanks again.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 08:17 PM

this link might also help explain some of the discounts available, and how it works:

http://home.nyc.rr.com/frugaltheatergoe/
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Escargot, thanks so much. What a great site! If we don't get discounted seats , there is something wrong with us!!! So much valuable information from everyone.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

You guys are the best!!! We have ordered our tickets for RENT. We did get discounted tickets using an expired discount code as was suggested here. We are so happy to have saved the money. That gives us more money for shopping!!!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Good for you ! Have a blast.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 01:59 AM

=D>