Notices

Best and hottest Broadway tickets in New York

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 11:27 AM
serpico

Best and hottest Broadway tickets in New York

Both my wife and myself will be in NY from 08/25 to 08/30.Both in our early thirties and from the UK.Went to see Les Miserables last year and thought it was great but thought Mama Mia was pants.Want to see Fiddler the Roof or something similar.Read great reviews for Hairspray.Just wondering what you guys would recommend and how we could purchase tickets from the UK.Many thanks

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Dan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wicked is fantastic. Hairspray is great, too.

What does "Mama Mia was pants" mean? Is that bad or good? (I'm assuming bad, but I admit my UK slang isn't what it should be!)
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not new or anything, but I really like Thoroughly Modern Millie. Aida is also very good. I enjoyed Mama Mia though. My fiance liked both of the former and also did not enjoy the latter- if that helps at all. Not sure how you'd purchase those tickets, but your hotel concierge should be able to get you tickets. Maybe you can even contact the hotel in advance.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can buy tickets online at regular prices (box office prices plus a fee). Playbill.com provides links to do this plus reviews, and discounts. There are also a number of other websites that have discount codes that can be used. The websites with discounts (require free registration) include

playbill.com
theatermania.com
broadwaybox.com
hitshowclub.com

"Wicked" will probably be the hottest ticket as it's expected to win the Tony award (like the Olivier) tonight (!)for best new musical.

Don't forget off Broadway!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Wicked, I would also suggest Avenue Q. For something a little riskier, I would suggest Assassins.

Thoroughly Modern Millie and Aida are fine shows, but a little worn.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Eva

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoroughly Modern Millie is closing June 20th--too bad it is a funny show. Hairspray is excellent though. I would recommend that.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 02:25 PM
emd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is a question of personal preference. He thought Les Mis was great and is interested in Fiddler, o that says something about the kind of swho he might like. Hairspray is not that kind of show, IMO. I saw it last weekend- it't cute, good dancing, but we didn't like it that much. Although the theme is race relations in Baltimore in the 60s, we thought it was done in a pretty shallow way, and it just didn't do it for us. Don't blast me, that's just my opinion- the truth is everyone has different shows they like because they are looking for something different. I would suggest that you read up on the shows on Broadway, try the websites mclaurie suggested, and find ones that look like the type of story and depth you are looking for, then post asking who has seen the ones you are interested in. We loved Wicked, but it might not be the type of show you are interested in, regardless of how many awards it wins or doesn't win tonight.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 02:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I just returned from NYC. We used broadwaybox.com and ordered half price tickets for "RENT" . We both loved the show. The singing was fantastic. For the record, we are both 51 years old and semi-conservative.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 03:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We saw "The Boy from Oz" in March with Hugh Jackman and it was absolutely wonderful! It's the story of Peter Allen from Australia who had been married to Liza Minnelli. The whole cast is fantastic. Also saw "The Producers" with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick and, though they have left the show, it is great fun! Both fabulous shows.
I'm with you on Les Mis, saw it five times.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 04:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My picks: Wicked, Boy from Oz, Producers, Hairspray.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 04:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us what "pants" means.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 19 yr. old daughter and I just returned from NYC. We went to Thoroughly Modern Millie, Hairspray and Rent. We loved them all. I liked Rent the best and my daughter liked Hairspray.
I purchased the Hairspray tickets on e-bay.
I used broadwaybox.com to get discount codes to use on ticketmaster.com for Rent and Millie tickets.

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Dan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'Avenue Q' just won the Tony for best musical, in something of an upset. I think 'Wicked' was a big favorite. First Smarty loses the Belmont and now this!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And Hugh Jackman won for best actor in a musical in "The Boy from Oz." Yeah!! The two females that play Judy Garland and Liza Minnelli did not however. They gave amazing performances, as though Judy and Liza were on stage with him.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hugh Jackman is absolutely magnificent in "The Boy From Oz". This is one of the few Broadway shows we've attended a second time.

The entire cast is fabulous. The show is terrific.

Get your tickets now!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 09:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wicked (saw it in SF in the preseason showing.. wonderful) and then Producers. However, you can see Producers in London soon. I liked Hairspray ok, but it wasn't one of my all-time favorites. If you didn't like Mama Mia, I don't think you'll like Hairspray. Phantom is ALWAYS a top pick for me.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 11:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pants in this case means rubbish.

Remember that (generally, but not universally) in the UK, pants means underwear and not trousers as in the US.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In spite of "Avenue Q" Tony for best musical, I would go with "Wicked". Best show in town right now, IMO.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fact that you are Brits would definitely influence what to recommend. As wonderful as Avenue Q and Hairspray are (and they both are outstanding), I think that, as non-Americans, you wouldn't fully appreciate either show.
Fiddler on the Roof would be a good choice, or perhaps 42nd Street.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second 42nd Street. The dancing and singing were fabulous. The story was charming and somewhat timeless. Good costumes too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO