Off-Broadway, community theatre in NYC - or other cheaper options

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been considering the feasibility of a theatre-oriented trip to New York City, with my daughter (currently 13, but probably 14 by the time of the trip). She's very interested in theatre and has been participating more and more in school and community theatre productions.

The musicals seem to be a very high price, inevitably, and even if purchased at the half-price booth. Any further tips are welcome. In London on previous trips, I have managed to get tickets in the 5 - 15 pound range for various interesting productions, including musicals like My Fair Lady and Les Miserables. Any hope of doing something similar in NYC?

We're both interested in fringe theatre and community theatre, and presumably what is called "off-Broadway" and "off-off-Broadway" theatre. At home in Vancouver, I'm fairly adept at getting the cheapest prices possible by going to matinees, two-for-one nights, previews, dress rehearsals, etc. Can anyone give any tips for doing the same in New York City? Any publications I should purchase or follow? I'd like to get an idea of a reasonable theatre budget. I know the more the better, and we may miss out on some big-ticket productions with this plan.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 05:23 AM

A few suggestions to save money on on or off Broadway shows would be checing out Craigslist, here is the link. http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/tix/ and also there is a ticket booth in the heart of Times Square called TKTS and you are able to get half price sameday tickets to most of the major productions, there are lines but they move fast. You can also try http://playbill.com/index.php for additional info on current shows.

I hope that this helps!
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 05:26 AM

I'm guessing you don't know about the online services, first.

www.theatremania.com
www.playbill.com
www.broadwaybox.com

Go online. Register. Look at how to get discounts. That's a good start. Incidentally, I like using the codes from those places but calling the suggested tickemaster or teletron direct to actually get the tickets using the codes; you usually get better seats that way.

New York Magazine always has lots of free stuff listed, including some theatre or theatre lectures.

When you get to New York, go to the Drama Book Store at 250 West 40th Street. In addition to being THE source for scripts and theatre books, at the front you will find a whole counter filled with postcard notices of local theatre productions, often workshops for drama schools. Many of these will be free, or for a minimal donation, or something like $5.00 each, and you can see some really exciting stuff (but admittedly you may have to chose carefully for a 14 year old, as some can be more that a little avant garde and bold).

And here's one of the best places to look:
http://newyork.clubfreetime.com
Go there and search for the "free theatre" page.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 07:46 AM

WillTravel, take a look at www.high5tix.org

From the website: "High 5 is a non-profit organization dedicated to making the arts affordable for teens. Through High 5, any teen can buy $5 tickets to hundreds of New York's best dance, music, theater, film, museum and spoken word events all year round. The idea seems too simple to be true: $5 tickets to arts events in and around New York City for teens ages 13 to 18 (or any student enrolled in a middle or high school program). That's it. Also, Each teen may be accompanied by one adult -- just buy one extra $5 ticket. That means a parent, teacher or mentor can tag along. High 5 tickets to museums are two for $5 every day. And if you can gather together a group of 5 teens, you can take advantage of our Take 5 Program, where every sixth ticket is free and can be used by an adult or fellow teen. In addition, Monday - Thursday theater performances the $5 teen ticket allowes them to bring an adult guest free of charge.

Have fun!
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Margie, what a wonderful post. I've never heard of this, but then why would I at my age? I wish more places did this, or maybe they do?
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the excellent ideas. It sounds like the cost need not be as bad as I thought.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Thanks Patrick! I "discovered" the site while looking for some theater options for my nieces. Unfortunately they are too young for the program but I am going to keep the info handy for others who can use it now and for us in a few years. When I checked out the site I was really impressed at the extent and variety of the offerings. And I agree with you, I would really like to see programs like this in other cities - what an opportunity!