NYC broadway show tickets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First timers-another question...where is the best place to order tickets to a show..we'll be there in May.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:38 PM

(for reviews of current shows, try New York Magazine's site, newyorkmetro.com):
1)there are various internet sources (start with theatre's own site and go thru links
2)also box office by telephone. 3)on day of show, you can get tickets at same day (half price) ticket booth in Time Square
4)or you can go up to box office before show and see if they have unsold tickets. these will be full price, but not all tickets which are available end up at same day ticket booth in Time Square. Have fun
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:41 PM

For peace of mind, now would be a good time to reserve your tickets if you are looking at one of the hot ticket items. We were in NY in January and one popular show was booked until May.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:11 AM

I like starting with www.playbill.com to investigate shows and follow the links to order from ticketmaster, etc.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:30 AM

Obviously, the first question is: What show or shows do you want to see?
There are discount tickets available for many shows, but the offers for May probably will not be available until March at the earliest.
So, if you let us know what shows you are interested in, we can offer our advice as to whether discounts will be available.
Shows like Spamalot, Wicked and The Lion King will not be discounted. So, for those, order now. For others, you'll have a tough time finding discounts for weekend performances.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:03 AM

If you look at Playbill.com, the site has a free members' section. If you sign up, they offer discounts for tickets and restaurants.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

We'd like to see Jersey Boys.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Playbill is such a good place to start. As Citylights pointed out, you can sign up for discounts on the right. To the left you can check Broadway grosses. It gives you a good idea of what tickets will probably show up at the 1/2 price booth - and which won't be discounted for a long while.

Good luck with Jersey Boys!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:42 PM

The fact that a show is on the discount list now doesn't mean that it'll be there in May. This time of the year is the slowest for Broadway shows. Business is much, much better in May.
So, you can't go by today's grosses to guess what will be available in May. Further, some shows will close before then.
For Jersey Boys, I suggest getting tickets now. The show is doing quite well and will probably still be doing well in May. If it was me, and I wanted to see the show badly enough, I wouldn't take the chance and wait for the possibility of getting discount tickets in May.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:54 PM

I think you misunderstood me, HowardR. The point regarding Broadway grosses was that if the attendance is now in the 95 - 100% range (and has been for several weeks in a row) don't expect it to be offered at a discount now or in the near future. If you really want to see the show, buy tickets (full priced) now.

If there's a show that you are interested in seeing and attendance is at 50% or less (and the average ticket price is very low), then don't waste your money on buying a full priced ticket now. Changes are good that there will be 1/2 price tickets available at TKTS when you get to New York - IF the show is still running.

I have always recommended on this board - buying tickets for one show you really want to see now, buy tix for a show at TKTS when you get to NYC and buying tickets at the box office on the day of the show if the lines at TKTS are really long. My time in NYC is too valuable to spend hours in line. My philosophy anyway.

My best seats have been purchased at theatre box office (at full price) on day of show. I think that's when VIP tickets are returned when they aren't going to be used. Works at home - works on Broadway.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:25 PM

If seeing Jersey Boys is a must, then I'd say get the tickets now at full price. If you are willing to take the chance that you might be able to get it at discount but with a risk of missing out, then wait. You might be able to buy full price at the box office on the same day too. Once we didn't have tickets for Lion King but we waited at the box office a few hours before showtime and were able to get good seats (12th row) for 4 of us. When we tried to get into Hairspray 3 years ago when it was still new, we were told that tickets were sold out until May.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:36 AM

starrsville, I understand your point. We are are in general agreement. However, what I'm saying is that because a show is far below capacity and is offering discount tickets now (and has for the past few weeks, i.e., since the year-end holidays, doesn't mean that it'll be that way in May when business will improve.