Traveling on Amtrak between Washington DC, NYC and Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the midst of planning a family trip to the East Coast. We are looking at going on Amtrak from DC to New York with a stop over, then continuing on to Boston.

By the time I book Amtrak later in the summer, I'm hoping the Acela Express will be back in service. How is travel on the Acela as far as seating comfort and convenience? Is business class sufficient or is it worth paying for a 1st class seat? Also how is the scenery between NYC and Boston? This will be our first time on Amtrak so I would appreciate any insight or tips from those of you experienced with traveling on Amtrak. Thanks for your help.

Old May 9th, 2005, 12:09 PM

Acela's are very comfortable, new, but not worth the price, imho.

Take a "regional" train instead. Best if you use a train that ORIGINATES in DC, as the trains arriving from points south are often late, and already full of passengers when they arrive at DC, giving you limited seating choices.

There are a few stretches of nice scenery on either of the two legs you mention, but not all that much, since you will be traveling primarily thru urban areas. In fact, the first time I took Amtrak, I kidded about the old saying "from the wrong side of the tracks", and stated that from where I sat, BOTH sides looked pretty bad. Urban grafitti, old decaying factory buildings, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love Amtrak, but the N.E. Corridor is not the railroads most scenic part.

You might even wish to book Greyhound/Peter Pan ... they frequently have $20 fares between those city pairs you've mentioned. Use Amtrak on part, use the bus on the other part.
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:18 PM

I would also recommend Amtrak but not the Acela. There are no guarantees that the brakes will be OK and it is grossly overpriced. The Metroliner is fine!Please be aware that I-95 can gridlock at any time stranding a bus.The train can be a challenge also but a lot more dependable.
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:51 PM

count me as someone who really likes the Acela, at least for the long Boston-Washington trip. I'm not sure its as useful for the shorter NYC-Washington trip, you don't save that much time.

I haven't been in first class. I find business class sufficiently comfortable. I believe in first you geta meal included. The food from the dining car in business class was pretty mediocre, so maybe for a long trip the meal would be nice (but carrying your own food on is almost certainly better and more economical).

The best stretch of scenery is along the Connecticut coastline. other than that, there is very little to see.
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:20 PM

I didn't take the Acela, but I did do this exact route in the reverse. I was fine with the regular train (I think it is the regional??). The time between DC and NYC is rather short and not really much to see. The time between NYC and Boston is much longer, and not much to see, except for Conn.

I would save the money and take the slower train. Just be ready to either catch up on some sleep, bring along a good book, or take something to keep you occupied. It is a long ride, but worth it. Just wish we had such an efficient train system out here in the West Coast!
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:31 PM

Metroliner to NYC is fine. Think about Acela for run to Boston -- sit on the right side of the train and enjoy some of the route that parallels the shoreline.
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:31 PM

I agree that a "regular" train is fine -- the time difference is minimal, for example, as are the comfort level & amenities.

The scenery between New York and Boston can be great, in my opinion. Be sure to sit on the right (south) side of the train for the best views.
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:51 PM

In terms of comfort, I think the regional trains on the Northeast Corridor are fine; much better than a plan or the bus.

The trip between NYC and DC is uninteresting, except for a beautiful stretch between Wilmington, DE and Baltimore. Otherwise, it's just transportation.
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Another vote to save the $ and skip the Acela. I've done both and the extra price is just not worth the very minor differences.
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:46 PM

IMHO even if Acela is runing by then- which looks very unlikely - it is not worth the extra money. There are so often minor delays on these lines - which affect Acela just as much as Metroliners - it's simply silly. (And don't think this is the TGV - it's just slow or slower. Not really any faster than driving.)

Both types of trains are very comfy comparable to flying - and although Metroliners can sometimes look old fashioned they have everything necessary.

There is nothing really much to see except urban sprawl from DC to NYC. From NYC to Boston if you sit on the water side you can see a little - but nothring to brag about.
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:06 PM

I've taken Amtrak from DC to New York and New York to Boston, mostly on regional trains but have also done Acela -- and splurged on Acela first class also.

I agree with everyone's assessment -- ironically, even though the Acela trains are newer, I actually liked the experience less -- too many businessmen barking on their cell phones.

First class in Acela once was sufficient to satisfy my curiousity -- wouldn't repeat it, not worth the extra cost. The meal was fine but certainly not worth the money for what is a relatively short trip.

If you're traveling on a weekend, the trains do get very crowded -- and of course, even though all the trains are "reserved" seating now, that doesn't mean you get an actual seat number -- you still have to scramble for seats. By starting in D.C. you will have a good shot at getting seats together.

Sometimes when I've traveled with family and can get some kind of discount rate, if I think it's going to be a crowded time I've gone business class on the regular regional train. The cars are not very different from coach (sometimes they *are* coachclass that they're just calling business class) but you do have a little bit less crowding sometimes.

Metroliner -- again, like Acela, not all that different from a regular train, so not really worth the extra money.

Remember that on the regional trains, usually the first car is business class, followed by the cafe car, followed by several coach class cars. The last car is usually the "quiet car", with no cell phone or electronic game use, and no loud conversations. (Of course, every once in a while they put the quiet car at the front, and business class at the back, and I'm on the platform running like a fool because I stationed myself at the wrong end!)

I have to say I love Amtrak, despite all its flaws, and always love the train travel in the NE corridor. NYC to Boston is especially lovely.

The discount codes they are using now are mostly "50% off a companion ticket with a full fare ticket" but sometimes there are other discounts as well -- a good place to check is www.flyertalk.com, in their forums, under "miles and points", and then under "other travel programs/partners", and then under Amtrak Guest Rewards.

Or you can try www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=399

People post current discount codes that are available (AAA also gets you a discount -- with all discount codes I believe you now have to book 3 days in advance.)

Sorry this post is so long -- have a good train trip.
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:37 AM

Take the bus and save a fortune.
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:18 AM

I do not know if cost is an issue, but even on weekends, the regular Amtrak can be expensive for a family. I take from many of the above posters that they take the train alone - and then it makes sense. But a family might save money by renting a one-way car.

If the experience is the goal, not cost, then I concur with above and say take the regular Amtrak. I do not know about scenery DC-NYC, but between NYC and Boston it is mostly urban wasteland. Still, a short family train trip might be a nice experience. I do not feel the same way about bus travel, no matter what the savings. And there have been many local articles about the safety of the "Chinatown" buses recently, so if it were me, I would avoid those with my family.
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:13 AM

It's true, if you're looking for cost savings, then a car rental makes more sense, although that drive is a real hassle.

The bus -- yes, you can go cheaply, but you trade convenience for price (I had a friend who tried to take the Chinatown bus a couple of weeks ago; when he arrived, the bus was full so he had to wait another hour.) I've done the bus from NYC to Boston and that was not an experience I'm dying to repeat.

It's true that Amtrak can be more expensive, but I gather since you were asking about Acela that your top priority isn't price here. Be on the lookout for discount codes and you should be fine. Depending on how many are in your party, you might even be able to get a group discount. On the Amtrak website, there's an offer where the 3rd through the 6th passengers in a group save 90% off the regular fare (on regional trains, not Acela or Metroliner.) That special is currently listed only through May 15th, but they have similar group discounts quite frequently.
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:29 AM

"Bus" certainly does not mean just the Chinatown bus. Thanks to their competition, regular bus lines like Greyhound now offer extremely reasonable prices between major east coast cities -- NYC/Boston for $15 and NYC/DC for $20.

Even at these prices, though, the fares for a family would probably add up to more than a car rental.

The main Amtrak discount relevant for families is that kids 15 and under (IIRC) travel for half-price. And high-school juniors or seniors can get a form signed by their guidance counselor and bring an adult along for free (ie. equal to both traveling for half-fare) if they're visiting colleges that they're thinking of applying to.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your informative replies, they have been very helpful in helping me plan this portion of our trip.

I think I will book the Metroliner between DC and NYC and business class on the Acela for the longer leg of NYC to Boston providing it is up and running. If not the Metroliner for the entire trip sounds fine. Using the AAA discount for a family of three including a child doesn't look too bad cost wise. Looking forward to an interesting journey.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:48 AM

I think Amtrak is great when I am feeling flush. However it is hard to justify the expense when the bus is so much cheaper. I definitely do not think Acela is worth the extra money since it is at most an hour shorter.

I have not had a bad experience yet on the Chinatown bus and have taken it many times between DC and NY and twice to Boston. This site sells tickets for most of the Chinatown bus companies and is great for checking schedules.
http://www.GotoBus.com
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Why are you replying to a post that's almost a year old? That trip is over!