Need advice on Hawaii Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:43 PM
barna

hi,
We are going to spend 4 days in Kauai and 4 days in the big Island dring the Thanksgiving break. I have two choices of hotels : Sheraton Kauai and Aston at Poipu Kai...(the first one costing about 300 $ more in total cost) and Kona by the sea or Kona Sea Cliff Resort in the big island.
Do people have any recommendations? We have a 4 month old baby...are condos better for that reason? How are the groceries? Do we save a lot by cooking there?

The car rentals seem pretty pricey too (170$ in Kauai and 190$ in Kona).

Thanks.

Barna

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:33 PM
hobojo

Hi Barna,
With a four month old baby I would think that a condo will definitely be much better than just a hotel room. I stayed at the Royal Sea Cliff just this July and can recommend it highly. The condo was well equipped and very clean with a huge lanai for relaxing. They do not have a beach, but there is both a fresh and salt water pool at the water's edge. There is a Wal-Mart there to stock up on non-perishables and plenty of supermarkets. We ate breakfasts and took lunches in our collapsible cooler to save money and then had dinners out-lots of restaurants in the Kona area for all price ranges. We went to a lauau at Kona by the Sea-only saw it from the outside and we were happy to be staying at the Sea Cliff-it seemed more upscale and quieter.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Margaret

Try going to Priceline and making an offer for your rental car.
We have gotten them for as low as $18 per day previously in Hawaii, before taxes.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Sarah

Just back from what I think is my 7th or 8th trip to Kauai. You want to see the volcano at night although I don't know how you will do that with a youngen, fumes and all. I prefer Hilo side would suggest you skip BI and spend all that time on Kauai. Kona side is so dry and busy. Air traffic is the busiest around Thanksgiving so you might find yourself with some serious lines to contend with. Also that is just barely enough time to see Kauai. I think stay in one spot for your child peace alone.

I like cooking on Kauai because the restaurants are not that great. You have some upscale choices like Roy's, Pacific Cafe, Beachhouse and the Princeville dining room but most of the restaurant food I find I can cook better myself at home. Fresh fish and a grill with your condo are good reasons for this. I would find a stand-alone house rental for your small child. If she/he has a rough night you won't feel like you woke the neighbors in turn you will have more privacy from your neighbors.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:15 PM
kath

I live in the midwest, and it seems to me that grocery prices in Hawai'i are at least 30% higher--enough to make eating in moderate or budget priced restaurants seem like a bargain. I have enjoyed eating out on both the Big Island and Kaua'i. There are many inexpensive restaurants to be found. We enjoy the plate lunch places, Thai restaurants, and others.