Search

Beach Luau In kauai or kona?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 01:08 PM
JAS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach Luau In kauai or kona?

We are going to Kauai (staying at the princeville) and Kona (staying at the Four Seasons) Anyone reccommend a Luau in either place or is it touristy and not worth the money?
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 02:33 PM

Skip the Hyatt's luau, "Drums of Paradise". Tacky.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:01 PM

All luaus are tacky !!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:05 PM

Where did this word "touristy" come from? If you don't want "touristy" don't go to Hawaii. Hawaii is FULL of tourists almost all of whom do touristy things (such as luaus which are 100% touristy!!)
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:49 PM
DB

I agree with Rusty.

However, we enjoy the luau and grounds at Smith's near Fern Grotto on Kauai.

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:59 PM
bonniebroad

JAS, my sister and friends attended the Kona Village Resort's luau, which is supposed to be the best and most authentic on the Big Island. They enjoyed it a lot...... I have only been to the luau at Waikoloa Beach Marriott on the Big Island, and thought it was fun, and not cheesy and tacky, as the Marriot one (Kaanapali) was on Maui. ALL luaus are going to be at least a wee bit tacky, I think........ but everybody should see at least one, IMHO. Do get a discount if you can....... local magazine coupons or ask your concierge, as luaus are always overpriced in my opinion. Have fun!

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 11:27 PM

Since your subject was "beach lu`au" and you'll be staying at the Princeville Hotel, you're in luck -- they do a weekly lu`au right there.

Very nice, right on the bluff overlooking Hanalei Bay, with views of the mountains, sunset and -- if you're lucky -- waterfalls. Good food, good entertainment, and one of the most intimate "tourist" lu`au's offered in the islands.

Guest of the Princeville Hotel have purchase preference, and get a discount, too. I'd strongly advise advance reservations.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 02:17 AM

JAS: I have heard the luau at the Marriott in Waikoloa is good. Enjoy and partake in one IMHO. And I would ignore Rusty.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 09:11 AM

As an island resident, let me interject a "non-touristy" recommendation to all who are planning to visit Hawai`i...

The best celebrations are the local kine -- the ones hosted _by_ locals, _for_ locals, but to which _all_ are welcome to attend.

If you want a truly "local" experience, check the newspapers when you arrive -- look for ho`ike (hula "recitals"), lu`au by churches/schools/canoe clubs, or ho`olaule`a (celebrations) by local clubs. Get your ticket and go have a _wonderful_ time! 8-)
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Thank you auntie!!
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 09:31 AM

I went to a hula recital in Poipu given by a hula school that teaches in Hanalei (I think) and it was wonderful, peaceful and very spiritual. I was smiling the whole time! Thanks for the advice auntiem!