Search

Malasadas on Kauai!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 07:46 PM
bsg

Malasadas on Kauai!

Hi,

Any recommendations as to a great place to pick up malasadas on Kauai?

Thank you!

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 07:56 PM
p.

OK, I'll bite ..
What are it/they ?

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:52 PM
kalena

They are delicious deep fried pieces of dough, found at carnivals and bakeries throughout Hawaii. The tradition of making malassadas was brought to Hawaii by the Portuguese immigrants fom the Azores that came around the turn of the last century. Pao Duce (sweetbread) and Portuguese bean soup are some other Portuguese island favorites. On Oahu, Chef Mavro does an exceptional version of the malassada. And then there's
Champion and Leonard's.

Here's a Honolulu Advertiser story on them. Be sure to seek them out when in Hawaii. bsg, just ask the locals when you get to Kauai.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/sp...i/726food.html

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Sarah

Ok but now I want to know where to find on Kauai. I have had them in Hanalei Snack shop but you have to beat the early morning schoold kids and they are not as good as leonards. Here they back them at about 6am and you get what is left over by 9 or 10am. Who knows where you can by them hot on Kauai? These donuts are best when they are fresh.

I think Malasadas taste like deep fried donuts (but there is no hole in malasadas)they are also airy (or light) and bit doey in center.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:16 AM
bsg

Hi.. OK now where can I get them hot in the mornings? Yes, they are the best Portugese donuts! I tried making them without success! LOL..

Kalena, you are making my mouth water! LOL..

thank you!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:56 AM
gail

I think I have a box in a picture from Oahu, perhaps the phone number is readable, I will check.I think I like the quickly disappearing Pan Puffs (fairfood) better, but they are a close second!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Charles

I am from the Azores islands, but don't know any great place on Kauai ( there are good places in Providence, RI, and Fall River, MA - try any azorean or portuguese bakery). Malasadas are not donuts, not even close. They are malasadas ( from de portuguese bad "mal" and roast"assadas"). If they arte fried, they are fried with a different kind of oil and they are made with lemmon ( the secret) eggs and flour and lots of sugar.
In California you can get Malassadas in San Jose or Tulare.
In the Azores Islands, Malassadas are used in the Carnival...

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Sarah

Hi Charles I wonder if what you are referring to is something different than the Malasadas in Hawaii. Just as pizza in New York is much different than the Pizza you would find in Italy. The Malasadas in Hawaii have no lemon taste that I recall and if they are fried in some different kind of oil it does not impact the taste different than a donut. I have been eating them for years and just introduced them to friends who never had them last year. The only difference they noted was a very doey center.

Can't wait to try the Malasadas in New England. It never occurred to me to try to find these in NYC but we are a melting pot and I am sure there is a Portuguese restaurant here.

Anybody awake yet on Kauai to answer this question? Where are there hot malasadas made to order.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:15 PM
xxx

anybody?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:31 PM
kalena

Charles: The Honolulu Advertiser article says...."Malassadas are unique to the people who came to Hawai‘i from the Azores, especially from San Miguel. In Portugal, you have the same product with a different name: filhoze.” In Brazil, sonhos (meaning “dreams." Could this account for the difference in what you describe? It's an interesting and fairly comprehensive article about malassadas in Hawaii.

bsg, I'm sure Lihue has great malassadas. But for the best, and hot, first thing in the morning (yumm) you may have to ask when you get there.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Sarah

I am interested Kalena, thanks is that in today's online version?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:38 PM
kalena

Weird. The link I posted above worked yesterday, not today. I found the article by doing a google search under "malassadas". Two s's are the key.

Or, you might try the search function in The Advertiser, at honoluluadvertiser.com .... good luck!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:40 PM
kalena

On second try, the link worked again. Try this....

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/specials/hawaii/726food.html

(fun reading)