Kauai, BI, Oahu in May

Search

Kauai, BI, Oahu in May

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2010, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai, BI, Oahu in May

Our family of 4 adults is beginning to plan a 12 day stay on the Hawaiian Islands of Kauai, HI, and Oahu in May. We plan to stay only 2 days in Honolulu, and 5 each on the other two islands. We are all in relatively good shape, and like a lot of activity when we travel (sight seeing, etc.)

My 1st question is which of the two outer islands will provide us with the best choice of activities? Should we do 6/4, or stay at 5/5?

Thanks for the rec's!
T in FL
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 12:32 PM

beachtee, both Kauai and Hawaii have excellent hiking. I would probably give the edge to Kauai on hiking. Hawaii has the best snorkeling in the state, but Kauai has a few nice spots that should be ready by May.

Kauai has more and better beaches, but Hawaii has a few too.

May is a wonder time of the year on either Island both weather and crowd wise.

Hawaii has wonderful National Parks so edge to Hawaii on that category.

Neither Kauai or Hawaii is a foodie paradise. Tie here.

Hawaii is large with many different enviorns. Kauai, in my mind, is the sterotypical idea of what Hawaii should look like, at least on the north side. In other words a tropical landscape, green and lush. This is not a criticism of Hawaii, but an observation.

I think Hawaii has better golf courses, if you are interested in that sport.

Bill
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 02:38 PM

You could easily spend 10 days on the big island alone split between Kona (or Waikoloa), Hilo, and Volcano. There's a lot to see on Hawaii and 5 (or 6 days) are not enough.

I enjoy Kauai more in the summer (from June on) after the seas quiet a little. In May, it's tough to find swimming beaches. However, as Wbpiii says, Kauai is a beautiful island and is the quintessential Hawaii. You will not be disappointed whenever you go.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 03:24 PM

I've spent a few weeks on Kauai in May on two occassions. As Otis says, the ocean can be a little rough on Kauai, especially around Princeville. There were three or four days I can remember where the beaches on the North side were just too rough. Nevertheless, I love the islands in May.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 04:26 PM

I love Kauai anytime!
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 03:23 PM

"Kauai, in my mind, is the sterotypical idea of what Hawaii should look like, at least on the north side. In other words a tropical landscape, green and lush."

I agree -- and I'm in LOVE with Kauai. But don't forget that the west side of Kauai and Koke'e State Park/Waimea Canyon are also spectacular -- but in a completely different way.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Kauai 4 nights, Big Island 6 nights.

Lots of info (mostly for Oahu, but many sites for all islands):

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm

For a free Hawaii brochure & a free brochure for each of the islands:

1-800-GOHAWAII (U.S. & Canada only)
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 05:45 AM

I think your 5/5 split is just fine, however if you even an inkling of returning someday I would spend all 10 on one island, either one.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

I so appreciate all of the responses! I suppose we need to hit the beach on Oahu! Since we are arriving on that island first, it should work well into that plan.

We are all so looking forward to our Hawaiian vaca--planning to celebrate a number of special occasions (college graduation, 25th wedding anniv, 50th b-day!) Seems like a good year to celebrate!

I am certain I will have more questions after we purchase our tickets, and it starts getting closer!

Thanks again!