How many times have you been to Hawaii

Mar 13th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

How many times have you been to Hawaii

I was just curious about others trips. I'm planning a trip for June. 3 nights Oahu, 7 or 8 nights Big Island, 5 or 6 nights Kauai. Trying to decide, one more day Big Island or 1 more day Kauai. I've never been to Kauai so I'm not sure if 5 days is enough, or should I lose a day on Big I and go for 1 more on K.
Mar 13th, 2004, 08:37 AM

I have been to Hawaii four times. I like Oahu best!! Then the Big Island..
Kauai is beautiful though, take a trip up the
river to see the Fern Grotto...Delighful..

There is not as much to do on Kauai...
Mar 13th, 2004, 09:12 AM

I have been to Hawaii 10 times. I like Kauai the best, however I have only been there once. My next favorite would be the Big Island, then Maui. My next visit will be to Kauai for further exploration. Since you have not been to Kauai before, I would spend a bit more time there. It is an amazing place.
Mar 13th, 2004, 09:22 AM
SAB

Approximately 20 times (sister lived there)--in order of preference, excluding Oahu--Big Island, Kauai, Lanai, Maui, Molokai. I like Oahu and I've been there on every trip to Hawaii because that is where my sister lived. If I had a choice between BI and Kauai for an extra day it would be a coin toss. Can't go wrong either way, but I would lean towards the BI. It's totally subjective, the diversity of the landscape appeals to me and I love staying up at Volcano overnight.
Mar 13th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Have been more than 10 times but only because it is easy as we live on the west coast and hubby's best friend lives there. Personally I would add another night to Kauai just because I think 7 nights on the BI is plenty. The beauty of Kauai is unlike any other island and well worth the extra night.

As you can see the opinions vary-have a great time whatever you choose.
Mar 13th, 2004, 11:42 AM

We have been to Hawaii at least 12 times since 1991. My favorite island is always the last one I visited. We were in Kauai in November. We stayed in Princeville and it was so beautiful. We visited the Big Island in April and loved the volcano and watching the lava flow. Maui is a great place to see, but the last time I was there the traffic situation was bad. Very crowded. I love the beaches in Maui. By the way, I would go for one more day on Kauai.
Mar 13th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Kal

5 on Kauai is too much and 1000 is not enuff.

Spend the extra day on Kauai. You won't be sorry.

But be prepared because we all know there's nothing to do on Kauai.
Mar 13th, 2004, 02:33 PM

Been to Hawaii 3 times. Wish I could afford to go more. My favorite island is Maui. We always stay there. Haven't been to Kauai. Oahu is ok, but prefer Maui the best (more relaxed).
Mar 13th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Been going Hawaiian since I was a kid in '59...I'm still a kid! The number of times is off the charts, but Maui has always been my fav. Spent a week on Hawaii this winter, the first since 12 years ago. Not much has changed except some more big hotels have gone in and the Kona side has built up on the surrounding hills.
Oahu is a zoo. Kauai, lovely but too quiet. Actually we liked Molokai as it reminded me of Hawaii when I was a kid.
It's Maui (Wailea) for me!
Aloha
Mar 13th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Deloris, please tell us what Maui was like in 1959! How much development on Kaanapali? Was Wailea developed at all? What were the roads and traffic like? what was the airport like ? Where did you stay? Etc.
Mar 13th, 2004, 08:41 PM

My husband lived on Maui until 1972. He tells me everyday how the island has changed since then. There was no Kahului airport, only the airstrip at Ka`anapali and only small planes. Lahaina was much like Pa`ia is today, but there was a bamboo awning over the makai side of Front Street. the road from Ka`anapali to Lipoa in Kihei was gravel, and from Lipoa to beyond Makena was a dirt road. Development was beginning at Ka`anapali in the early 60s, and he remembers there being three resorts when he left--the KBH, the Hyatt and another one. There was no "Wailea," at least no golf courses or resorts. That came after he moved off-island. Hana is still very much the same, except for the expansion of the Hana Hotel. The KMart was a cane field, Whalers Rum was still distilled on the island, and the Pioneer Inn was not a Best Western.

He also likes to remind me that back in the day you just left your surfboard on the racks by the water. If you needed to "borrow" one, you'd just put it back when you were done with it.
Mar 14th, 2004, 03:39 AM

I've been to Hawaii 5 glorious,stupendous,wonderful,great times and would love to go every year for the next 25 years! My favorite island is Kauai.It's so lush,tropical,and easy to drive!Lot's of things to do and see.
I vowed never to tell people how many times I had been because on my 3rd trip to Hawaii we took a bus to our hotel and the bus driver asked how many times everyone had been and when I raised my hand to 3(three) the guy across from me said 'Oh,Yeah,Sure....'I couldn't beleive it! How rude was that? I just ignored him and enjoyed.
Debbie
Mar 14th, 2004, 07:14 AM

I LOVE the Hawaii. My fav is Maui. Been a few times. I would love to go every year! Waikiki is to city for me.
Mar 14th, 2004, 07:46 AM

The same question was posed not long ago:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34458007
Mar 14th, 2004, 11:02 AM
jor

Approx. 47 times if you include business trips.
Mar 14th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Why is it that the title of the original post and the text of the original post are completely unrelated?
Mar 15th, 2004, 09:38 AM

We've been twice. I would do an additional day in Kauai. It is such a magical island!
Mar 15th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Does the text really matter THAT much? The question is clear and the replies relevant. Maybe the poster wanted replies from seasoned travelers.
Mar 15th, 2004, 11:24 AM

I've been to Hawaii once (Maui and Oahu) but am going back in two weeks (Big Island and Maui).

I would go to Kauai for the extra day. I hear it is absolutely beautiful and relaxing.

Why are some Fodor posters so mean. If you don't have anything nice to say then just don't post!
Mar 15th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Agree with with above. If one looks hard enough there will be imperfections anywhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO