Search

Help with itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with itinerary

Ok, husband and I, adventurous/fit 50 somethings have 10 to 14 days for Hawaii. We're most interested in nature (esp. birds/plants) and culture. We're least interested in sunbathing/cocktails (though we don't DISLIKE that either). We're fonder of interesting smaller accommodations thatn big resort like ones. Given that we have no other Hawaii agenda than that, what might be a good itinerary for the two of us that would send us to an island or two or three and give us a mix of nature and culture (and actually more of emphasis on nature).

Thanks for your sage advice.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:52 AM

I'm far from an expert on Hawaii having only been once (to Kauai) but can tell you for nature lovers, esp. plants, Kauai's the place. One of the highlights of my trip was the Allerton Gardens. Have a look here. It requires a reservation and you must take a tour.

http://www.ntbg.org/allerton.html

The website also lists other gardens in Hawaii.

It would help to know what time of year you plan to go. The north shore of Kauai is more scenic/lush but gets a lot of rain in winter. You might consider splitting some time on Kauai north and south.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 02:23 PM

I'd send you to Hawai`i -- just one island, but it will give you diversity and interesting places to see.

Hilo side for 1/2 the trip; Kona side for the other.

And if you insist on seeing another island, come to Kaua`i for a few days, too. 8-)
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 02:26 PM

Hawaii and Kauai, even though there is nothing to do in Kauai and it rains all the time .
-Bill
330 days to go .
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 11:33 AM

Big island 9 HAWAII ) and Kauai is your ticket. 2 great hikes in kauai 1. baby grand canyon , 2. kee beach -nappali ridge hike, and many other sites and beaches. Hawaii ( big island well you got dry side and wet side ,many hikes and of course sites. SAIL
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 11:40 AM
bonniebroad

First time to Hawaii? With 14 days, I'd do 5 nights on Kauai, 6 nights on Big Island of Hawaii, 3 nights Oahu at the end (to see Pearl Harbor AND the North Shore, as well as to feel the vibes of Waikiki.) That would be about perfect, in my mind!