Kauai or Big Island

Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Kauai or Big Island

I know this is broad, but I was all set to go to the Big Island for a mini family reunion, when now I'm wondering if Kauai might be better. We've been to the other islands so it's between these two. There will be 7 adults and two toddlers. Any suggestions-- everyone wants the most "islandy" feel. We will be going in November or December of 2006. Thanks!
Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:24 PM

I would suggest Kauai over the Big Island, if you are looking for a lush, green "islandy" feel. We enjoyed going to Kilauea on the BI, it was a very unique experience. However, I was sort of disappointed by how barren most of the Big Island was. There were scenic spots, but it seemed most of the landscape was old lava fields. Unique, but not what I considered islandy... On the other hand, Kauai was absolutely beautiful. I would recommend staying in Poipu, but taking day trips to north Kauai. Highly recommend the Hyatt...
Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:03 PM

Sorry z3fan123,

but a party of six is the limit on Kauai. I'm afraid you'll just have to go to the BI. Or Mauai, they take anything that they can get.8-)
Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:50 PM

That's spelled "Maui"...
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:27 PM

Two words: Active Volcano

The Hilo side of Hawaii gets lots of rain and while not as lush as Kauai, it has that tropical feel.

You might poll the adults on this, but I'd recommend Hawaii.

Mike Honeycutt
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:44 PM

oh dear z3...according to ones "in the know" on this board...Kauai is rainey,buggy,muddy,boring and currently closed isle. Can't say definitively as I have not been there...BUT GOING IN 16 DAYS...11 HRS. AND 32 MINUTES....!!!!!!!! Best Wishes with a difficult decision!!
Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:44 PM

I would strongly recommend Kauai for your family reunion. It has very nice beaches and beautiful scenery. I prefer the smaller size of the island, also. Spending precious vacation time in a car is not my idea of fun...particularly with two toddlers! There's plenty of variety on Kauai, but distances are not as great. Poipu Beach Park has a calm, shallow section that is ideal for small kids. Lydgate Park in the east shore has a lava-rimmed pool that offers safe swimming with a nearby playground that is terrific fun. If your group includes people on their first trip to Hawaii, Kauai will come closest to matching most visions of "tropical paradise."
Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:34 AM

visormom - the rainy, buggy, muddy, boring was meant to be tongue-in-cheek . Those who love Kauai (myself included) want to keep it the way it is and so teasingly "warn people" away.

z3fan123 - I'm in agreement with the Kauai contingent. It's so much more like paradise: a lush green wonder. Beautiful beaches, fabulous scenery. When I'm in the BI, I get hot and tired of driving through all those lava fields on the Kona side. And it may be an active volcano, but that doesn't mean that it's erupting all the time.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Is there a big difference in weather between the two? We're going in November or December. Thanks!
Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM

The Big Island has its share of lush areas as well. And one of the volcanos has been flowing continuously for quite a few years now. Nonetheless, giving the Big Island much justice requires a lot of driving. We've taken our daughter to Maui twice and Kauai once. - We're just now planning to take her to the Big Island now that she's twelve and can do some of the hiking, going to the top of Mauna Kea, etc. Either choice will be ONO...

The Hyatt is a lovely resort , but the north shore of Kauai is what makes it so unique IMO. Making the drive up is a bit of an effort. So I'd stay on the part of the island I most want to really see and set aside one day to visit the other side. Minimize car time since you are going with a large group and have little ones involved.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:21 AM

Oops! I just noticed the November or December part, which means the north shore beaches of Kauai might be kind of wild surf wise and wet.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:59 AM

Crazy4Hawaii - Re: the eruption, I meant fountaining, not erupting.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:47 PM

Yes, good point. People are disappointed when they go to VNP expecting to see something that looks like a science experiment (remember the elementary school "volcanoes" we used to make with baking soda?) and end up seeing the OOZING more typical of Kilauea. When you put in the research ahead of time and truly understand what you're looking at, though, it's way cool... It's not the typical tropical island experience most people associate with Hawaii.

Search this Thread