Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:06 PM
Val

BIG ISLAND or KAUAI?????

I know it's a question of personal taste, but which island has:
the most beautiful beaches
the most beautiful places to visit
the most "Hawaiian Spirit"?
We are going to spend our 25 anniversary in Hawaii next September. Any help will be more than wellcome!!!!

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:40 PM
Shar

We have always preferred Kauai and think the beaches are wonderful their. There are miles and miles of beaches, some very secluded and there are wonderful hiking trails, kayaking also. YOu can have funky or luxury or anything in between on Kauai. The Big Island has limited beaches, a lot of rocky beaches, black sand beaches but few white sand. I vote for Kauai. Shar

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:43 PM
shar

For hawaiian spirit I also vote for Kauai. NOthing can be built taller than a palm tree so you don't have any high rise condos that you see on Maui and Oahu. The best hotel for Hawaiian spirit is the Hyatt Regency at Shipwreck Beach in Poipu It is really Old Hawaii at it's finest. Built after the last hurrican in 89 it was build old hawaiian style The Seraton is close by which also exudes old hawaii. Shar

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 03:20 PM
gigi

Honestly- MAUI!!

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 03:30 PM

I agree that Kauai is beautiful.
However, the BI does have Mauna Kea beach which is one of the best beachs in Hawaii.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:01 PM
Moola

Go to Maui. It's more diverse w/more to do.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:08 PM
hawaii dude

The BI wius hands down. Maui has become too crowded - tourists have increased while the isle residents stand in the way of any new roads. Kauai has some nice beaches and the colorful canyon but little else - too boring.

The BI has wonderful resorts, the Volcanoes National Park, Waipio Canyon, outstanding waterfalls, and you can drive a good distance without feeling you are doubling back on yourself.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:18 PM
hawaii dude

Correction - "The Big Island wins hands down".

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:57 PM
natalie

It really depends on the type of person you are. The BI is unlike any other island you will ever see. Black volcano rock land and shorelines. The lush part is north near the volcanos(haven't been there yet) I think it's about 2 hrs away but from what I've heard it's amazing. Don't know your budget but The Orchid has such a beautiful black lava shoreline w/ turtles and the view of the other islands is priceless.
If you're more into lush scenery you may choose Kauai. BI is lush too, you just have to travel to get there. The green scenery just cascades on Kauai.
As others stated, I wouldn't do Maui, way too busy without enough tranquil beaches anymore.
As far as Hawaiian Spirit goes, I think both are equal. There's a little more to do on the BI. Hope this helps a little - tough choice but a fortunate one to make! Have a wonderful celebration = )