Need a one day itinerary for Maui.

Sep 8th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Need a one day itinerary for Maui.

I will be in Kihei, Maui, for a wedding from Dec 27 to Dec 30, 2005. But we are free to travel anywhere on Dec 31 so I could go to another part of the island. In fact, I need to find a hotel for that one night. I'm looking for a good one day itinerary. We leave on Jan 1 and come home. Thanks.
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Where are you staying in Kihei? You may have trouble finding just one night at a hotel the night of New Year's eve. How much exploring do you want to do? Do you like to snorkel? You can just enjoy the beaches in the Kaanapali and Wailea areas, or you could drive to Hana and back, which would take the whole day and show you the "jungle" side of Maui, Kihei is the dry side. Or, you can drive up to the summit of Haleakala. You can see a lot on Maui in one day with a car, depending on your interests.
Sep 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM

I agree with gigib--get your hotel room booked now or you may end up sleeping on the beach.
Sep 8th, 2005, 01:56 PM

Just book an extra night where you are already staying. Gigib is right in that you may have trouble finding a place for one night at that time of the year.

Besides, Mauis' not all that big so it doesn't matter ALL that much where you stay - certainly not enough to justify moving somewhere for just one night. By the time you pack/checkout/drive to the new hotel/checkin/unpack you'll have wasted too much of your day.

Just stay where you are.

Ken
Sep 9th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Or one night at the Grand Wailea to frolic in the fabulous pools like JohnD did. On your "day off" you could visit Lahaina and drive on up the west Maui shore for some beautiful sights like the Olivine Pools. Then over to the Iao Valley on the way back. I wouldn't do the hell drive to Hana with just one free day.
Sep 9th, 2005, 06:32 AM

I stayed in a condo in Kihei last year. I, too, would not change hotel just for one night.

As per one day itinerary we did this: EARLY MORNING driving to the summit of Haleakala, before clouds come, then drove down to Hana and the gravel road after Hana competing the circle of the south coasts of Maui and returning back to Kihei !! It was simply wonderful !
Sep 9th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Do you want to 'see' everything you can in your alotted time, or do you want to 'do' some things? If so, what types of activites?

I agree with not changing places to stay, as during your travel, you are advised NOT to leave your stuff in the car, due to thefts. Many of the sites require a walk/hike of varying lengths.

Belle
Sep 9th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I am staying at the Aston Maui Lu Resort. I have to check if they have rooms for that extra night. The original reservations were made by the bride, so I didn't know all the details. Because of flight times, I had to leave on Jan 1 and that's why I have the extra day. I was thinking about going to Hana. I'm not sure if it'll be too much in one day, but I'll look into it.
Sep 9th, 2005, 05:55 PM

It took us from 6AM 'til 8:30PM, and we did not get to investigate everything.

Did do the Garden of Eden, both Black Sand Beaches, and Pu'a Ka'a State Park (2-falls) ,Blue Pool (falls), O'he'o Gulch. Several other roadside pullout stops.

If you don't have the book, Maui Revealed, it's highly recommended!

This is what I recommend: Snorkel somewhere, maybe Ula Beach; lunch at the Seawatch at Wailea Golf Course, and then drive to La Perousse Bay. The color of the water against the black lava rocks is absolutely indescribable! On the Mauka side (mountain) you see the vents, with the lava flowing out ( not hot but still has the appearance of the 'flow'.

This would be a pleasurable trou and would not be so hard on you. It's unlike any other part of the island.

Belle

Belle
Sep 9th, 2005, 06:03 PM

'Pleasurable trip'. ....and there's only one of me. Ha!

Belle