Search

Kailua Maui Gardens

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kailua Maui Gardens

Has anyone stayed at the Kailua Maui Gardens? What was your experience? Any recommendation for a particular cottage? Also, any info. about this area of the north coast of Maui would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to go in Sept.-Oct. Thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 08:04 PM

Please share any response, am also interested. Thanks
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:08 AM

I spent the week of September 11, 2001, at Kailua Maui Gardens. It was everything I expected from Maui. There is a main house (which, to the best of my knowledge, can be rented) and several cottages (as well as a swimming pool and a hot tub). I highly recommend the place!

One of the highlights of any trip to Maui is driving to Hana. Staying on this side of the island is advantageous (since you won't have to drive another 45 minutes or so to your hotel after a grueling day of relaxing). There are two hotels in Hana. One was recently renovated and is pretty expensive (I hear it's worth the money). The other hotel is reasonably priced and the rooms are clean and have breathtaking views of a black sand beach. Instead of driving BACK to your hotel, spend a night here and have dinner at the more expensive hotel. You'll be refreshed for a leisurely drive back to your hotel (before another grueling day of sunbathing).

If you choose to stay at Kailua Maui Gardens, head to the beaches in the southwestern part of the island (near the expensive hotels), have lunch at some of the nice(r) hotels (since it's always cheaper than dinner and the food is still excellent), and eventually return to the REAL Maui. There are some great restaurants in Paia (sp?), including Mama's Fish House, and no trip to Maui would be complete without a visit to the funky town of Makawao (sp?).

If you want to experience the REAL Maui, stay at Kailua Maui Gardens (where you'll be awoken by gentle rains every morning). You won't be disappointed!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 08:11 PM
gyppielou

you're killing me whistle!!!! I can smell the air and feel the breeze just thinkin about it!!! 1 1/2 years is too long!!!!

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Well, Maui is a beautiful place! I can't imagine spending the bulk of your time in one of those overpriced hotels near the airport. Blah! See the REAL Maui!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much, whistle! We plan to stay two nights in Kihei, do Molokini while there then head to Kailua Maui Gardens. Thanks for confirming what I was truely seeking-- the real Maui. I agree, those large resorts don't look much fun at all and I don't want to spend my cherished vacation with hundreds of other people in one spot. I can't wait!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 12:46 PM

I have just booked 10 days at this gorgeous place! We (me and hubby) are so excited, but we aren't going till the last week of October. The REAL Maui is just what I was looking for, hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, but no disneyland type resorts. We get a little cottage in Haiku with lots of peace and quiet. Anyy reccomendations on food for the area? I've already heard about Mamas Fish house. How about good breakfast places? We like breakfast. And fish tacos. My husband wanted a nearby bar But I told him we could just have our own bar at the cottage.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:45 PM

Garden Gypsy:
I spent 3 nights at Kailua Maui Gardens earlier this year and would NOT want to stay 10 nights. Yes, it is a good base for the road to Hana. Otherwise
it is a long, slow drive to anywhere! The nearest restaurants, grocery stores, etc. are in either Haiku or Paia. If you're going to drive to a south shore beach, plan on it taking about an hour. The cottage we rented (Aloha Cottage) was very dark inside. Foilage completely covered the windows blocking the light and what might have been a good view.
We had to ask for a lamp to be brought from another cottage so we could see well enough to read...even in the day time. The pool was very cold and the lounge chairs were all quite dirty. I usually enjoy cottage stays in off-the-beaten-path locations, but this one was...quite frankly...a disappointment.
If your heart is set on staying here, don't get the Aloha cottage. A couple of the others looked more open. Strongly suggest you limit yourself to 5 nights, with the other 5 nights closer to swimming beaches. There are some low-key, smaller condo complexes in So. Kihei that would probably suit your tastes.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:18 AM

OK Barbara! You have swayed me from my ten nights, I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but if it ends up being good you have my never-ending thanks. NOW, where to stay in South Maui that's not a dump and a little private?
(peer pressure)
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:08 AM

Gypsy:
If you want to email me I will send you links to a couple of places I like
in So. Kihei that are quiet and affordable. What's your price range?
Also, you might want to start another thread here on Fodor's asking for condo help on Maui. My email is [email protected].
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 07:05 AM

Thanks Barbara, but I moved quickly yesterday and ended up making reservations at the Two Mermaids B&B. I've read good reviews, and we got the Ocean Ohana room with a hot tub on our own private deck! Thanks for the help, I'm really excited about going both places now.