March of the Penguins

Search

March of the Penguins

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
March of the Penguins

Just wondered if anyone saw this movie and whether or not you liked it?

It's travel related, as it is a documentary about Antartica, a place where most of us will never be able to visit nor would we want to.

I was awed by the movie, My wife hated it and walked out, halfway through.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:29 PM

I can't wait to see it - tomorrow

I have not heard of anyone who has not liked it (until now )
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:34 PM

I can't wait to see this movie - hopefully this week. My son and girlfriend saw it last week and were disturbed over the fact that little children had to watch certain scenes - I guess it's not entirely a "family" film.

I wanted to walk out on the "Grizzly Man", but I didn't want to embarass my family Now that was a strange documentary, lol.

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Kal

Ooops...sorry...thought this was about the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins.

Nevermind.....carry on...no harm-no "fowl".

I'm trying to see The Aristocrats.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Kal, if you don't get to see the movie, I can tell you the joke

Seetheworld, I read a few reviews on that and I decided that I did not want to see it. so I sorta understand why you felt like that.

I hate movies/documentaries about animals for the one reason that they always have to show the other animals killing them..I love watching shows about cheetahs etc, but they kill deer!!
So I can imagine what the penguin movie shows, but I still want to see it
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:43 PM

I give it one wing up.

The casting was a bit odd as too many of the cast members looked too much alike, so it was confusing.

The dialogue was a little lame.

The choreography was quite stiff. The big dance numbers didn't really work for me.

To give it a G rating, the good stuff was cut out. Like the sex scenes we never saw.

The costumes were fabulous. The costume designer deserves an oscar for all those little tuxedo costumes.

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:43 PM

Did they have an epilogue in the Grizzly Man telling you that he and his girl friend were attacked and eaten by a hungry old boar (male Grizzly). He had his video camera running but thankfully the lens cap was on so all that was recorded was the sound...and that was bad enough. This guy was kind of "nutty" and I would hope the movie would not lead anyone to believe that these bears are cuddly little guys. I haven't seen the movie myself but saw a program about the man and his story and why he was living there with the bears.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Kal

Why Ms Scarlett...I DO declare!!!!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:50 PM

"Did they have an epilogue in the Grizzly Man telling you that he and his girl friend were attacked and eaten by a hungry old boar (male Grizzly). He had his video camera running but thankfully the lens cap was on so all that was recorded was the sound..."

Yes they did, crefloors. This guy was beyond a little "nutty", in my opinion. I think this flick should be in every Psych101 course. The coroner was also really creepy to watch.

LOL, Patrick!

Scarlett
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 06:00 PM

LOL Patrick, you are TOO funny! The choreography was a bit stiff LOL
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Very funny, Patrick! (Ebert better watch his back.)

Gene, I took my 11 year old nephew and we were both enchanted. Some scenes will stay with me always. We thought the cinematography and original music were great.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:45 PM

My daughters 20 and 25 both can't get over how fabulous and moving this film was...A must for all to see. They thought it should win the best documentary at the Oscars!!!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:46 PM

We overheard a Mom and her kids saying how boring the Penguin movie was--can see where some kids are too young to appreciate this beautiful film. We thought it was the best movie of the summer. Beautiful photography and naration and we learned a lot about these cute characters. ****
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 08:01 PM

My 14-year-old and some friends saw it and loved it. We were in Park City, UT and the theater was about half-full mid day during the week with kids about his age and a few grown-ups and he reports that everyone seemed to like the show, although no moms/little kids in attendance.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 08:23 PM

We saw the movie "Crash" and found ourselves at the edge of our seats. The policeman character played by Matt Dillon was exceptional, given his bigoted position in the first part to his rescue of the woman he had groped the night before where he seemed so sensitive to her situation: a car about to burn.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 12:29 AM

I was absolutley awed by the movie. I kept saying "oh my gosh" Just realizing what they go through for survival is astonishing. We took or 7 and 9 year out granddaughters and the loved it. Their comments were, "amazing, sad, inspiring, and educational. They were particularly fascinated by the way the egg goes from mother to father. This is a must see
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 02:24 AM

My 4 yearold grandson and I went. It is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen, not to mention the premise it is built on--every emperor penquin that has ever been was born in that place, along with the difficult trek to get to it. If you walked out, you don't understand the forces and rhythms of nature.
There was no "lions of the Kalahari" attacks on the penquins, but the reality of predators was also dealt with without making it ugly. Absolutely the most amazing nature film I have ever seen. Morgan Freeman's narration was enchanting--never intrusive--spare.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 04:56 AM

Patrick - LOL!!

We saw the film in July when it first opened. I'm a penguin freak; if you saw my house, and if you saw the boxes of penguins that have already been packed for our move out west, you'd know I'm telling the truth. Practically everybody we knew asked us if we were going to see the movie because my penguin fetish is well-known! We were not disappointed - the film is beautifully photographed and fascinating. It is a bit heavy for little kids; there are a couple of scenes where chicks and eggs come to grief, but I will say that they don't really dwell on that for too long. We loved it. I would even see it again if time permitted, but then, I'm a special case.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:22 AM

Loved the movie (and Patrick's review.)
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:54 AM

I loved it as well. Beautifully done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -