What NOT to do in Maui...

Jan 25th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

What NOT to do in Maui...

We are going to Maui in March for 10 days. Is there anything you did while in Maui that you would NOT suggest? This includes restaurants, sightseeing, and anything else that really disappointed you. If there's anything that totally amazed you, post that, too.
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Luaus. Yes, there are people who love them, but you can have dinner at Mama's, Ferraro's, Nick's, David Paul's, Sorrento's, Roy's, etc. for the same price (or less!) than a luau, and the food AND experience at any of these restaurants are SO far superior to any Luau.

As far as what is suprisingly good? Warren and Annabelles. I am a hardened New Yorker, and hate ANYTHING even remotely hokey or cheesy. This show was fabulous - you should definetly go.
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:20 PM

Where are you staying? Maui is a big island!
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:36 PM

We weren't impressed with Hana. It was a long drive to be somewhat dissappointed. It did not seem to hold the same beauty or interest as did other places on Maui.
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:16 PM

Was disappointed with whale watching, wouldn't do it again. We were there in Dec. of 2000, not sure if its better in march. We thought Hana was great, no people, very small, but not very sunny.
Maui Ocean Center is fantastic.
LOL
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:46 PM

Whale season is just beginning in December. High Whale season is Mid Feb to Mid March. If you love whales - take a whale watching trip. The Pacific Whale Foundation is great. Knowledgeable guides.
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:30 AM

Would recommend staying at a hotel/condo close to activities that are important to you. For example, if this is your first time to Maui, and snorkeling and swimming in the ocean is important to you, do not stay in area that is not close to a swimmable beach.

We previously had this problem staying at Hotels and condo's on the Big Island and Kauai and to a lesser extent on Maui. If you are not sure about your location/activities, plenty of knowledgeable folks here will be glad to help you. Maui Revealed guidebook is an inexpensive great source of info., here is link:
http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/maui.html

Jan 26th, 2004, 06:37 AM

I would not drive to the top of Haleakala for the sunrise. We got up there and it was raining and foggy and didn't see a thing. (It was totally clear on the rest of the island). If I had it to do all over again, I would drive up there to arrive just after sunrise and hike in the crater when it's not that busy--and not have to wake up at 3:00 a.m.! However, if you are set on doing this...call the weather hotline before you leave! The concierge should have the number--we didn't know about it before we went.
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:43 AM

the Molokini snorkel tour was a disappointment. hardly any fish to speak of. i couldn't believe what a nonevent this turned out to be!!
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Lei greetings.
Silly, artificial, overpriced.
Like paying someone to pretend they're glad you're in Hawaii.
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:13 AM

agree with previous posters - luau was very cheesy and we were looking for a burger king immediately afterwards. Molokini has few fish - too many snorkelers around. we took a tour with several stops and it was fine. also - check the weather before booking anything. they are stingy on any refunds and will try to go in the most horrible weather.
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:15 PM

Our whale watching trip and luau were both cancelled on the stormy 1/14, make sure you have refund/re-scheduling rights and don't schedule the day after. The luau (Royal Lahaina) on our last day was a so crowded with knee-knocking cramped seating because they squeezed 2 nights of reservations into 1! Not to mention the traffic getting in and out of it.
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your responses!

Deloris, you had asked where we're staying. We'll be at the Hyatt Regency Resort in Maui.

Counting down the days!
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:35 PM

Cammie,
We stayed at the Hyatt last April and loved it! Have a super trip. Threehearts
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:44 PM

<We'll be at the Hyatt Regency Resort in Maui.>

OH! In that case.......
don't get drunk,
don't go to the 9th floor hotel room of men you've just met
and don't sit on the railing on the lanai!
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Travelisfun,
Thanks for the weather tip for Haleakala. Viewing the sunrise from there is something we've planned on doing our first day there, mainly because (I'm assuming) we'll be up at 3am anyway due to the time difference. I will check the weather, though, by calling the hotline.
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:50 AM

Re the comment on the drive to Hana, if you're doing it to see Hana, skip it. But if you're going for the drive itself, it's very worthwhile. Then, keep going past Hana to the seven sacred pools. Be sure to wear your bathing suit.
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:15 PM

Ooooh, Kolohegirl, you heard! Did they find out what happened to the girl who fell off the lanai railing at the H.R. 2 weeks ago and did not survive? Just curious.
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:28 PM

NYC area news stated the victim was intoxicated several times the legal limit and disrobed, without evidence of foul play.
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:51 PM

I was at the top of Haleakala for sunset and it was sublime. I found the road to Hana beautiful, with many nice stops along the way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO