Search

Where to Stay in Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:30 PM
EBZ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to Stay in Maui

We are planning a trip for 1/06 and trying to decide between West Maui or South Maui. We thought we would stay 4 days on either West Maui or South Maui and then 3 days in the Upcountry area or should we split our time between West and South. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 02:10 PM

I highly recommend Puamana condos near Lahaina. Very convenient location, great set up and fabulous views. Contact Whaler's Realty Maui.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 03:27 PM

We have been to Maui several times and we really perfer the Wailea (south) area. The beaches are beautiful. The drive to the west side does not take too long, so you could drive over and see it. Upcountry could be a day tour. It just depends what you like.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 04:02 PM

We went to Maui May,2003 and stayed in Wailea. It was wonderful! We rented a lovely condo at Polo Beach Club which is next to all of the resorts and connects to the beachwalk. We drove all over the island (including the road to Hana) and visited West Maui, Haleakala and the upcountry. Wailea was a good base from which to visit all the other areas. It was also nice to settle in for the week and not have to check out, pack up and move during our stay.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:02 PM

Our first trip to Maui we split our stay with Wailea and Kapalua. We loved the Wailea area so now we just stay there. It is easy enough to drive to the other areas from Wailea.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 06:11 PM

I think splitting your time between the almost arid beach area of Wailea and the cooler, more lush Upcountry area would be ideal - like two different planets on the same island!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 06:17 PM

We stayed in West Maui at the Hyatt in Kaanapali last summer. Got a great rate on Hotwire. We loved the hotel, and enjoyed the proximity to Lahaina and Whaler's Village. Next time, we will probably split our stay between Kaanapali and Wailea, just to try something different.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 08:14 PM

Wailea is nice IF you can afford it!!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 08:22 PM

I like being near Lahaina because we like walking in town. Hard to go wrong though, it's Maui. Lounge chair, bikinis, pina coladas...what was your question again? Don't overthink it.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 11:14 PM

We love the Embassy Vacation Resort in Kaanapali. The pool is great. Never crowded. My kids love the waterslide. Awesome sunsets, the beach is steps away, the water warm and very swimable. Sigh! Wish I was there!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 11:35 PM

We really liked the Maui Prince hotel on the Maluaka beach, just south of the beautiful, up-scale Wailea area. You can snorkel on the Maui Prince's beach and see turtles. My husband saw a turtle. Morning is the best time for snorkeling on the coast. Afternoons get windy and the wind stirs up the water.

You need a car if you stay at the Maui Prince. Their pool is just okay, but we aren't into pools, we loved the beach. We saw Kaanapali as a day-tour, didn't care for it, too crowded and overbuilt. Some people like it. Depends on what you like.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:22 AM

I highly recommend the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Very reasonably priced. Nice ammenities. It is a popular place, but never felt "crowded". They offer great Hawaiian Culture and Craft classes for free everyday. We wouldn't think of going to Maui and not staying here. I think much of their buisness thrives on return clients...that says a lot.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:14 AM

Have to tell you that we really loved Upcountry Maui. In fact it was our favorite part of the island and if we could live on Maui (RIGHT! - Like we'll ever be able to afford it) that's where we would choose to live.

Hovever, if we returned to Maui on vacation we'd probably not stay there as we like the water too much and it's much too far down to the water - especially to the South or West Maui beaches.

So, you have to ask yourself what you entend to do during your proposed stay in Upcountry. If you are looking to hike around in Haleakala National Park or do some horseback riding then Maui Upcountry may well suit you. If you're going to miss being away from the beach then Upcountry is not a good choice. There are few places to stay in Upcountry and that's a big part of the reason.

Keep in mind too that Upcountry will be quite a bit cooler than the beach areas. Average high temp in Kula (7,000 ft) in January is not quite 60 degrees(http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w....php3?s=400115). Pukalani which is inland but low in elevation has a much more balmy average January average high of 78 (http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...=521115&refer=) while the beaches of South Maui will offer highs of 80 degrees or so (http://www.weather.com/activities/ot...48&from=search) so keep in mind that altitude WILL make a BIG difference in the temperatures.

Between South Maui and West Maui it's a very tough choice - though the good news is both offer great beaches. South Maui offers more (and generally better in my opinion) beaches, cheaper prices (in Kihei), and a bit better chance of dry/sunny weather. Wet Maui has prettier scenery and close proximity to Lahaina - which is an interesting town to visit.

Ken
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:52 AM

South Kihei, right at the edge of Wailea, has some great places to stay, and the condo price is about 30% less (or more). The best beaches, lots of options for dining, shopping, etc.
Upcountry for day trips? Pretty cool and damp, if you stay there.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 03:24 AM

EBZ:

We spent 5 nights at Maui Kai, just north of Lahaina, and 3 on South Maui, at Mana Kai.

I'm glad we did it this way, as it gave us a taste of both area's!

Maui Kai was run better than the Mana Kai, but the draw at Mana was the snorkel beach, right outside your door, and it was very near the upscale resorts, without us having to pay those astronomical prices!

If you choose Mana, just be sure to ask for a Hotel room, if you want A/C! There will be no kitchen.

If you don't care about A/C, ask for room 201! It has a fantastic view! Clean and adequate kitchen. Small bath, which gets hot quick!

Now, if you are rich, price not an object, I'd spring for the Fairmont...had dinner there and fell in love with it!!

Belle.
Belle.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 03:25 AM

OK, now I'm twins!
Belle
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 02:12 PM

My two favorite areas on the island are Upcountry and So. Maui. I spent a delightful night at Banyan Tree House outside of Makawao and plan to return for a longer stay in the near future. It's a good base for drives to Haleakala and the Road to Hana...even if you don't go all the way to either.
I particularly enjoy the shops and restaurants in Paia and Makawao. South Maui has what I consider to be the finest beaches. I prefer condos to hotels, so usually opt for a beachfront condo somewhere along the Kamaole beaches, or on Keawakapu beach. Wailea is wonderful, of course. I've stayed at the Outrigger in Wailea, and enjoyed meals, walks, and beaches at most of the others. This area seems more relaxed and less crowded than the Kaanapali area.