Park City - Should I go for 1 week??

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Park City - Should I go for 1 week??

Would I enjoy 1 week in Park City??

I have free use of a luxury condo in Park City.

I am planning 7 or 8 day vacation the last week of September. I split my vacation time each year between Europe, the Caribbean, and Western U.S. seeing national parks. Last time in Utah I visited Moab, Blandings, Torrey, Escalante and Bryce over 7 or 8 days, and hiked in awe along multiple trails totaling 5 to 8 miles a day. I loved it, and it was my second visit to Utah.

I don't fish, ski or hunt. I don't shop, anywhere. I don't particularly seek out cultural events, though I like an occasional show or classical concert.

I live 2 1/2 hrs north of NYC in the woods of the Catksill mountains outside Woodstock.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. And any information
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 09:31 AM

From what you said I think you would be pretty bored in Park City in September. The only thing I can think of for you to do would be to tour the old silver mine. Park City is winter recreation oriented.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:29 AM

Well.....

Woodstock guy, I live in Park City and here's what we do in the summer:

Bike - road and mountain
Hike - endless variety of terrain (SP?!) either around the ski mountains, in the High Uintas, or Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons. Trust me you will be impressed!
Outdoor concerts - although by end of Sept they are over with

Horseback riding
Hot air ballooning
Gourmet restaurants
all water sports except surfing - we have lots of man made lakes for water skiing, wind surfing, etc.

There is an air museum in Heber as well as an antique steam engine railroad you can take if you like that sort of thing.

Timpanogas Cave is great! It's in American Fork canyon and would be 1 hour drive from Park City.

The silver mine tour has been closed for years.

Park City is definitely not just for winter. It's just as beautiful and even more to do in the summer.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:33 AM

PS - how could I forget? The Utah Olympic Park is awesome. You can ride on the real bob sled track on a wheeled sled. You can watch the athletes train - ski jumping and aerials - yes in the summer. On Saturdays they do a show that sells out every week. Unfortunately the shows will be over by end of Sept. but you can still see them training which is very impressive.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:23 PM

woodstockguy

We visited Park City last summer, although only for 3 days before heading to Yellowstone. Thanks to Dayle, we found some great trails to hike in the area and didn't even get to the Cottonwood Canyons, which I understand are the best.

It's not as spectacular as the other spots you mentioned in Utah, but they would really be hard to beat. However, coming from the east coast, the same as you, we found Park City and the Uintas to be quite impressive and different from the mountains of NY/NJ.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Dayle, I guess it has been awhile since I went to the silver mine. I didn't know it is closed now. Woodstock said he would be visiting at the end of September. Half the things you suggest are closed then, and I don't think anybody wants to water ski at the end of Sept.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Park City is a winter recreation area and my sister who lives there will second the motion.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:36 PM

I agree with Dayle. If you love to hike, you'll love September in Park City. Our mountains are spectacular.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Dayle, Clousie, BarbaraS and anyone else -- can you recommend suggestions for hiking? Duration? Distance? Incline?

Remember, I hike cumulative 8 miles per day, but rarely walk 8 miles in a single hike.

Thanks all.