most scenic way from Sedona to Grand Canyon?

Apr 16th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

most scenic way from Sedona to Grand Canyon?

Its been years since we've been to either. If I recall, going US-89 N and AZ-64 W is more scenic, yes? Are there places we'll want to stop for pictures, similar to scenic Rt 12 in Utah? TIA.
Apr 16th, 2011, 03:20 PM

going US-89 N and AZ-64 W is more scenic, yes?

Yes.

Are there places we'll want to stop for pictures, similar to scenic Rt 12 in Utah? TIA.

Maybe detour thru Wupatki and Sunset Crater National Monuments (loop road that comes back to 89). Wupatki has some nice Anasazi ruins and good views of the mountains. If you have a lot of time there are nice hikes in the so-called "inner basin" of the San Francisco peaks off of 89.

From 64, a couple of overlooks for the Little Colorado river.

Some nice Painted Desert rocks (Chinle formation) on the side of the road a bit north of the turn-off for 64.
Apr 16th, 2011, 05:13 PM

Hi there,
we will be doing his trip at Christmas time and are also interested in any suggestions.
When are you doing this trip?
Please let us know what any tips, places worth stopping etc when you get back.
Thanks
Donna
Apr 16th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

>Some nice Painted Desert rocks (Chinle formation) on the side of the road a bit north of the turn-off for 64.<

I can picture those, and thought they were part of the Vermilion Cliffs? Am I thinking of somewhere else? If I remember correctly, that part of the road was stunning. If thats the same place?
Apr 16th, 2011, 06:37 PM

I can picture those, and thought they were part of the Vermilion Cliffs?

There's a Vermillion Cliffs National Monument now but it's further north, on the other side of the river between 89 and 89-A, stretching from Utah to Arizona. http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/blm...vermilion.html

Some famous areas in and adjacent to it, including Paria Canyon, Buckskin Gulch and Coyote Buttes (search for 'The Wave' to see great photos). Here are typical pics (you have to get a permit and then hike over an hour to get to this spot): http://www.pbase.com/derek3755/the_wave
Apr 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bill H.
Let me as you this. We've been to the GC many times, but not for several years. If we find ourselves pressed for time, realizing there's only 45 minutes difference, should we still take this scenic route? I'm wondering if I'm recalling the right road and scenery, and if its as great as I thought I remembered.
We will be in many other stunning areas in addition to the GC.
Apr 16th, 2011, 08:37 PM

I'll pipe up now. I'd take the direct route from Sedona to the GC and take a more scenic route afterwards if time allows. I'd definitely leave headed towards Cameron if possible.
Apr 17th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Starrs, there must be a specific reason you feel like that, so please elaborate! Appreciate the feedback!