Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

When is peak season / school holidays in Colorado, Utah, New Mexico area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I've been doing some Google searches to try and find out when the school holidays are in these areas but think my terminology is wrong. We're coming from Australia so we call things different names.

We're thinking of a mainly national park trip next year to Colorado and parts of Utah and New Mexico, probably fly in and of Denver.

Can you help with:
When is peak season? We prefer to travel off-season a little, as long as the roads are open. Was thinking maybe late May or early June.

When are the school holidays? We'd like to avoid this time as I'd expect prices to go up and accommodation harder to find if we are winging it.

Would love your thoughts. We've had many trips to the US over the years but have not been to Colorado before.

Kay
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mid-to-late May would be good for New Mexico. It won't be too hot yet, and our winds should have died down a bit. In Colorado, Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain NP won't be open until around Memorial Day (end of May), though.

School gets out here (NM) toward the end of May and starts again in mid-August.

We're planning a two-day trip around northern NM in about three weeks, and I've found that lodgings are kind of in "shoulder season," not as high as they will be in June, but not as cheap as other times of the year.

Lee Ann
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lee Ann. I hadn't thought about it but of course that's your summer and would be the main break for the year for schools, I think? If schools are off for at least all of June and July it doesn't seem as if we'll be able to avoid the crowds and higher prices. We'd ideally like mild to warm weather, not hot.

Maybe a plan could be to fly into Denver around mid May and head south to New Mexico, across to Utah then head north towards Rocky Mountain National Park as the weather warms up a bit. We have 4 weeks.

Anyone else with info on Colorado or Utah?

Kay
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 02:16 AM

Colorado [and Utah as well] are busiest during June through mid August.

I would suggest if you are able to head here in September or October for some of the most beautiful weather in which to see the most beautiful sites. Schools will be back in session, so kids will not be too much of a reckoning force. Temps will be warm during day with blue skies and abundant sunshine. Nights will be cool, especially in higher elevations.

Prices will not be low, and it won't be absent of adult visitors, but it is my hands down favorite time here in the beautiful southwest.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 12:44 PM

According to National Park employees, the quietest time to visit is during the week before and after our Labor Day. This year Labor Day is Sept 5th. American families are done with vacations by then since school is about to start. Foriegn tourists think that Labor Day will be busy in the parks and tend to come later in Sept. My experiences also bear this out.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM

If you still want to stick with Spring, most schools in Utah get Spring Break the week before or week after Easter. They get out for the summer around the first or second week of June. Those times are good for the desert. May in the mountains is still snow. (It snowed for 3 days straight last week) Full wildflowers etc don't show up till July.

September can still be a little hot to visit the desert, but great for mountains. October is lovely. There is a short fall break for Utah schools--Thurs and Fri off for a long weekend. The best way to find out is to look at the websites for the various school districts--which can be tough and tedious.

I would say that one week out of 4 isn't bad. Check the event calendars for towns you are going to visit. e.g. unless you are really, really big into 4 wheeling, you do not want to go within 50 miles of Moab over Easter weekend.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, this is very useful info. It seems balancing up the weather in the mountains and desert area could be interesting.

We will definitely steer clear of Moab at Easter, not into 4WD at all. Thanks for the tip about checking events calendars on the town websites.

I think part of my problem is I want to go NOW, right now! If I wait until Sept/Oct that's even further away. Will have to think about what to do and talk with my other half.

Thanks again everyone.
Kay
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM

I agree with DebitNM - fall is gorgeous out here!

Lee Ann
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Just wanted to add--I always go to the desert in the spring. I cannot wait till fall. and I always love it!!
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 08:51 PM

If you love 50mph winds and blowing sand, then it's been absolutely beautiful here the last few days!

Lee Ann